JML Portable Handy Heater

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've found the video now.

I strongly doubt their claim that it will heat up the large room they mentioned to 32 deg with a 500W heater.

And what is the use of setting the temperature on the dial when it is NOT thermostatically controlled?

Even Dale queried this a few times, it was obvious he didn't understand it, and the woman didn't even know what he was talking about. Ridiculous presentation.

I've found the video now.

I strongly doubt their claim that it will heat up the large room they mentioned to 32 deg with a 500W heater.

And what is the use of setting the temperature on the dial when it is NOT thermostatically controlled?

Even Dale queried this a few times, it was obvious he didn't understand it, and the woman didn't even know what he was talking about. Ridiculous presentation.

I will try to answer your questions when I receive my heater. I ordered one because I currently have just 1 small 400w oil-filled mini radiator in my flat. That's all! No central heating or anything. I don't need a lot of heat but sometimes in winter / Spring it gets a bit cold. The other day it was only 12c in here. I like my radiator as I use it as a towel heater and it does help to take the chill off the room. So now I've bought the JML Handy Heater. I understand it has a small fan to help circulate the heat in the air. In the video on the JML site they showed a room at 17c being warmed to 22c, so the heater raised the temperature by 5c, which in my view is good for something so small. I can't imagine anyone wanting to heat a room to 32c anyway, unless they're looking to create a home sauna.

I can't wait to receive mine. If it works it will really help me.

I love those JML infomercials with "that" very distinctive and dramatic style of voice presentation. Sometimes in my local Asda they have JML products - usually some miracle potato peeler or something like that.

I hope it works for you Jules, the reviews mention that the unit presses on the switch of the plug socket, turning it off when pushed home. If you have a socket or extension without a switch it shouldn't be a problem. I wonder whether American switches are like their light switches - "on" being the opposite direction to ours in the UK? Otherwise it's a silly design fault.

I agree about infomercials - I first got hooked watching a looping infomercial for a fruit de-hydrator in the early 90s...BUT WAIT! Love them!

I hope it works for you Jules, the reviews mention that the unit presses on the switch of the plug socket, turning it off when pushed home. If you have a socket or extension without a switch it shouldn't be a problem. I wonder whether American switches are like their light switches - "on" being the opposite direction to ours in the UK? Otherwise it's a silly design fault.

I agree about infomercials - I first got hooked watching a looping infomercial for a fruit de-hydrator in the early 90s...BUT WAIT! Love them!

I'm lucky in that the on / off switches in the electrical wall sockets are recessed, so whether they are in the on or off position they shouldn't be affected by plugging anything in. At least that's the case in my lounge and bedroom. (Which is where I'm gonna be using the Handy Heater). In my kitchen and hallway the socket switched are not recessed and therefore would be affected by this issue. I have an LED nightlight that I have on in the hallway so I can find my way if I go to the bathroom at night. I have to put the switch on before I plug the night light in - but it still works.

I'm really hoping this heater lives up to my expectations. I know some of these infomercial products look great and turn out to be nothing but hyped old rubbish.

I've got a good feeling about this product. I don't need something to make my flat into an oven - just a little bit of supplementary heat to make it not freezing cold.

Fingers crossed. If I like the product I'll buy another two for my other properties.

I just watched the QVC video demo of this product. I think Dale asked an interesting question about the thermostat. I don't understand why you are setting the temperature if it's not thermostatically controlled. I wonder whether it is more like a heat output level you're selecting with that? Strange! I'll webchat JML and ask them tomorrow. Also on the QVC website the output was listed I think as 370 watts. I thought it was supposed to be 500 watts!

I was quite surprised when the guest said you could put it straight into a suitcase having just unplugged it after use. I wouldn't want to do that!

I think there will be a nifty little feature on infomercial products coming up in everyone's fave tabloid very soon!

I do actually want this product to work, though. I'm quite intrigued by it in many ways. If it works it will be the answer to all my prayers.

Mixed reviews on Amazon - a few more give it a 1 or 2 star rating than give it a 5.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MXYJM57/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

The one about not heating a birdcage made me laugh.

A shame as I was fascinated enough maybe to have given it a try (not from QVC, of course!). I am also fascinated that you can survive in your flat with so little heating, Julius! I want to send you blankets and food parcels! I will be interested to hear how you get on with the new heater.

The customer's answers to questions were very revealing as well.

Scientifically, you can't get more heat out than the energy you put in (unless you are using a heat pump).

500 watts power will not provide much heat. I have a 500W heater but only use it to supplement full central heating in a small room. Most heaters are at least 2000W, some are 3000W (The most you can plug into a wall socket).

I've just looked up the typical consumption of a few electric irons at John Lewis, they are 2000W to 2400W.

So the power of this heater is about 1/4 to 1/5 of an electric iron.

Can you imagine a family gathering around an electric iron to keep warm and heat their room? I think not, and that is at least 4 times more heat than this heater gives out.

I was using a 500 watt heater, without a fan to heat the bathroom in Spain. It took about 30 mins to take the chill off the air.

Lower powered heaters have their use, if you simply want a background slight raise in room temperature. If you actually want to feel warm in a room you need more oomf. Personally I prefer convection heat for that and have a couple of De Longhi heaters for quick hits of heat. I do however have a couple of flat panel heaters which just make a room less chilly.

I dislike fans because of noise and it pushing hot air around so you feel warm as it hits you and cold as it moves on... I really really need to sort out my central heating!!! I've got, at last count, 6 additional heaters and 4 other heated products!

What a cute little item! I have never seen anything like it. No cable! I was tempted except I have a number of heaters for if and when the heating isn't on or working! So I cannot justify this but it seems like a useful back up or supplement on the spring or autumn nights before you want to use the central heating but when it can just get a bit too chilly for comfort.

If it doesn't sit comfortably in the plug, presumably it would be OK on an adaptor.

What a cute little item! I have never seen anything like it. No cable! I was tempted except I have a number of heaters for if and when the heating isn't on or working! So I cannot justify this but it seems like a useful back up or supplement on the spring or autumn nights before you want to use the central heating but when it can just get a bit too chilly for comfort.

If it doesn't sit comfortably in the plug, presumably it would be OK on an adaptor.

I've ordered one (not from QVC as they are overpriced - as usual) however I have many reservations about the product. I've watched many reviews on Youtube and they seem unanimously underwhelming.

So why did I order it, then?

The answer is simple. My UK statutory rights give me a lot of protection and if the product isn't reasonably fit for purpose, I'll send it back.

I've seen some other, seemingly better, low wattage heaters so I've ordered those too, to enable a direct comparison.

I really like living in this flat. The location is perfect for me, but it is very cold at times. I get through the worst of it by sitting in bed with my electric blanket on and my 400w oil-filled radiator on.

The Handy Heater seems to polarise opinion. There is a group of people that seem to have unrealistic expectations of its performance. I don't believe I do. Do I expect it do do what it says on the packaging? Absolutely yes I do!

If it's a lemon send it back, but there are a few satisfied customers so in some circumstances it works.

If it's a lemon send it back, but there are a few satisfied customers so in some circumstances it works.

Indeed. It's not in their interests to manufacture a poor product as people would only return it in droves.

Currently as I write this it's 20.5c here in my flat - which is fine for me. When it recently dropped to 12c I knew I had to do something as that is potentially hypothermia territory. Hopefully soon we'll be able to dispense with heating altogether. I don't know why, but the wintry weather is really dragging on this year. I personally find it depressing. I didn't even go out anywhere today, I just took it as an opportunity to rest with the curtains closed. I just didn't want to look at this dreary f****** weather. I am SICK OF IT!

There is brightness ahead though as temperatures look to head into double digits during the forthcoming days (well at least they do here in London).

I have to go to Luxembourg for a few days later this month so I'm hoping it will be better then. I'd quite to walk around Luxembourg city when I'm not working.

Might be a cheap copy from China. We wanted a new set of Christmas lights and spotted a cheap set of a more expensive named set towards the end of November last year. Mr Akimbo had them in his basket but the estimated delivery date was mid January 2018 so we didn't proceed. That said Amazon refunds happen far faster than QVC ones (not sure about JML)

Latest posts

Back