JML Portable Handy Heater

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Might be a cheap copy from China. We wanted a new set of Christmas lights and spotted a cheap set of a more expensive named set towards the end of November last year. Mr Akimbo had them in his basket but the estimated delivery date was mid January 2018 so we didn't proceed. That said Amazon refunds happen far faster than QVC ones (not sure about JML)

The original is cheap and made in China. If this is cheaper then it could be more rubbish than the original. It's not looking good for this heater.

Heater arrived. It's utter bollocks. Tested it with a watt meter. It's not 500W but 394w, part of which is to power the rather noisy fan. The red glow inside is not a heating element but some red / orange LED lights, placed to simulate the glow of a heating element.
The unit is awkward in the plug socket and made no material difference to the temperature of the (very small) room. 16c when I plugged it in asn still 16c 5 hours later. The "temperature" setting made no difference to the output of heat or the wattage consumed by the appliance so there is no point ot the temperature control whatsoever. It's just there to look impressive. It serves no other purpose. While the construction of the unit seems robust enough it still seems cheap. The programmable timer does work, however. You can set it anywhere from 1-12 whole hours to turn off. You can't set it to turn on. You can't put it in an extension plug, circuit breaker or socket doubler. Utter garbage. I also got the Dimplex heater (similar type of product). Looks instantly better. Will test it tomorrow.

Until a few years ago, the UK voltage was 240 volts, and the wattage of many appliances were based on that voltage.

These days, the UK voltage is 230 volts, and it can fall below this.

A lower voltage reduces the wattage quite considerably, and hence any heat from a heater.

So the heater may be rated at 240 volts, not 230. What does it say for volts and watts on the rating plate?

I know you didn't buy it from Q, but if the Q video mentioned the "warm red glow" then this would be very misleading if it is just produced by LEDs.

I know you didn't buy it from Q, but if the Q video mentioned the "warm red glow" then this would be very misleading if it is just produced by LEDs.

Hand on heart, it's just LEDs producing that glow! The product is sold for the UK market so the manufacturers should know what our voltage is. I am not impressed with this product at all.

Heater arrived. It's utter bollocks. Tested it with a watt meter. It's not 500W but 394w, part of which is to power the rather noisy fan. The red glow inside is not a heating element but some red / orange LED lights, placed to simulate the glow of a heating element.
The unit is awkward in the plug socket and made no material difference to the temperature of the (very small) room. 16c when I plugged it in asn still 16c 5 hours later. The "temperature" setting made no difference to the output of heat or the wattage consumed by the appliance so there is no point ot the temperature control whatsoever. It's just there to look impressive. It serves no other purpose. While the construction of the unit seems robust enough it still seems cheap. The programmable timer does work, however. You can set it anywhere from 1-12 whole hours to turn off. You can't set it to turn on. You can't put it in an extension plug, circuit breaker or socket doubler. Utter garbage. I also got the Dimplex heater (similar type of product). Looks instantly better. Will test it tomorrow.

Pity you didn't buy from QVC - I'd like to have read your review!

Julius you can still leave feedback on the QVC website, unlike Amazon they don't confirm your purchase. You may have to keep the wording "objective" for it to get published.

Latest posts

Back