Can anyone explain ?..............

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
the reason why UltraSun is called the 'professional' sun cream ? Is this opposed to what, it being an 'amateur' product ???

I fail to see where 'professional' comes into it, - where would you get a treatment that calls for the use of a sun cream ? I can understand 'professional' being used in the title of hair products (hairdressers), or nail polish, and even cosmetics - because professionals would be using them in the course of their business, but Sun Lotion ? Perhaps professional sportspeople or professional farmers or professional gardeners use it, but it certainly begs a question.

I suppose some people are gullible to buy into the marketing, but I tend to consider the deeper ploys that are used to part me from my money.

IT's just a word to make it sound more high-end and advanced than it actually is. It gives the impression of a clinical product, the effectiveness of which is proven by hard science.

In reality it's an average product, laced with aluminium and it requires more than one application per day. My Boots Soltan is probably better.

Apparently it's used by cricketers, council workers who work outdoors and given out on the NHS according to gabby Abbey, which of course is a load of old bollocks, NHS General Practitioners can barely afford to give out life saving drugs, but can give out sun cream willy nilly? All these claims that are made on air should be reported to the Advertising Standards Authority, I bet they'd be appalled at some of the claims, as for gabby Abbey, well she should just hang her head in shame for all her scaremongering and hard sell.

Apparently it's used by cricketers, council workers who work outdoors and given out on the NHS according to gabby Abbey, which of course is a load of old bollocks, NHS General Practitioners can barely afford to give out life saving drugs, but can give out sun cream willy nilly? All these claims that are made on air should be reported to the Advertising Standards Authority, I bet they'd be appalled at some of the claims, as for gabby Abbey, well she should just hang her head in shame for all her scaremongering and hard sell.

Yes I agree about being reported to the ASA. It happened for the Perricone brand - the 'Dr' part had to come off the marketing blurbs. I've mentioned in the past that I reported QVC to Trades Descriptions because they were presenting a line of jewellery as 'blueberry quartz' and saying it was mined in that state, when in fact it was heat treated to get the blue colour. On later shows Charlie Brooks retracted the claim it was mined, so clearly my complaint worked.

A couple of years ago I had to consult a dermatologist, a highly regarded dermatologist in my neck of the woods. He had never heard of UltraSun! Oops!

'All these claims that are made on air should be reported to the Advertising Standards Authority'. I've just done this Shopperholic. I watched the repeat of the TSV launch & heard AY say that gps recommend it & Abi "I bought it back from Switzerland twenty years ago & now it's everywhere" Cleeve stated that gps prescribe it. Totally wrong &, as I'm expecting bad news about someone close to us today, my mood is not a good one. As Stan from Dinnerladies would say "She's got my dander up" & I'm now going to inform the Q of my complaint.

I used to be a Dermatology nurse, and sunblock is (or at least was) prescribed by Dermatolgists for some very extreme conditions such as allergic photosensitivity and skin cancers.
I understand that in recent times there has been a big crackdown on the prescribing of things that can be bought over the counter, so it has probably been stopped.
Our Dermatologist prescribed Roc Total Sunblock. I never heard of Ultrasun until I saw it on QVC.
I will admit though, that we do use Ultrasun. It works well for both me and my cycling mad hubby, but I never buy it from QVC. I get it at ifsogo, and only buy the bits we use, rather than the 'family packs' that tend to be offered as TSVs.

Last edited:
As my dander's still up I sent this to the Q: Four minutes after the start of the TSV launch Alison Young said that some GPs recommend Ultrasun, in my opinion this is an acceptable comment because I'm sure many doctors do discuss beneficial products with their patients. However, Abi Cleeve immediately stated that GPs prescribe Ultrasun & this was a misleading statement because she didn't provide evidence to confirm her claim. This is not the first time she has made such claims but it is the first time I have reported her to the ASA.

Its known as psychology keep repeating in marketing and the general public will believe.

I read a book years back about Estee Lauder, one of her son's created the Clinique brand still widely out there. They decided to make all staff wear white coats and they still do as far as I know. The reason is simple, people trust someone in a white coat telling them information which the public will take as fact. Their toner which could probably strip paint off walls was raved about by so many for so many years. Then Clinique changed it and made it less paint stripper yet for years told customers it was the best and you had to see the black dirt on the cotton wool as it showed how well it worked. Their famous cleansing routine of the soap, but no you really should use the makeup remover first then the famous soap, the paint stripper, then the famous yellow moisturiser, but oh you really need to use a separate sunblock over it. So always up selling.

Reminds you of anyone?:mysmilie_19:

The pharmacist husband of a friend used to take particular delight in quizzing the poor girls at the Clinique counter in the local dept store about their products. They could/would never identify what the 'ingredients' were, or how they worked the supposed miracles that were claimed. They clearly branded themselves as a 'medically approved' and 'scientifically proven' line, but at the end of the day they were/are just another cosmetic line, peddled with lies and pseudo science, to the gullible who seek eternal youth and beauty at any price.

The pharmacist husband of a friend used to take particular delight in quizzing the poor girls at the Clinique counter in the local dept store about their products. They could/would never identify what the 'ingredients' were, or how they worked the supposed miracles that were claimed. They clearly branded themselves as a 'medically approved' and 'scientifically proven' line, but at the end of the day they were/are just another cosmetic line, peddled with lies and pseudo science, to the gullible who seek eternal youth and beauty at any price.

Yes, Clinique do try to present that image, it's true. Although I have to say I find some of their products really amazing. I really don't like Clarins staff - they are incredibly snooty - far worse than Clinique.

What annoys me is the pseudoscientific names for ingredients, like Boswellox, for example and when you look into it there's nothing behind it. Abi Cleeve's skinsense has some fancy name - and it turns out it's just a bit of cheap sesame oil!

Just tuned in now to see Cleeve on QVC touting her TSV. She's definitely going for a Theresa May look with her chunky statement necklaces and snazzy outfits. She's trying to con us into thinking that we're getting £115 of value for only £38 - yeah right, Abi! Like they're really worth that! Oooooh that lying cow really makes me furious! I'm perfectly happy with my Boots Soltan, Nivea Hydro Care SPF 15 / Yellow SPF 30 for lips. Those products have never let me down.

She's even sent a hamper of products into work to try and get free publicity. I would decline to write anything about her aluminium-laced, pseudoscientific gloop.

'All these claims that are made on air should be reported to the Advertising Standards Authority'. I've just done this Shopperholic. I watched the repeat of the TSV launch & heard AY say that gps recommend it & Abi "I bought it back from Switzerland twenty years ago & now it's everywhere" Cleeve stated that gps prescribe it. Totally wrong &, as I'm expecting bad news about someone close to us today, my mood is not a good one. As Stan from Dinnerladies would say "She's got my dander up" & I'm now going to inform the Q of my complaint.

Oh no I'm sorry you'll to hearing bad news today, hope it turns out not to be, and congratulations on reporting to the ASA, QVC should be ashamed of themselves........hope all goes ok today xx

That Abby used to claim on air that the London Fire Brigade gave it to their staff (not desk jobs). My brother had worked in that fire brigade for 30 years and said they did no such thing. Apparently a blatant lie.

Yes, Clinique do try to present that image, it's true. Although I have to say I find some of their products really amazing. I really don't like Clarins staff - they are incredibly snooty - far worse than Clinique.

What annoys me is the pseudoscientific names for ingredients, like Boswellox, for example and when you look into it there's nothing behind it. Abi Cleeve's skinsense has some fancy name - and it turns out it's just a bit of cheap sesame oil!

Isn't there supposed to be a L'Oreal cream containing boswellox?
I know it's often used as another way of saying bollocks, but there is a boswellia tree (Indian frankinsense). The boswellox is derived from it.
http://colinsbeautypages.co.uk/frankincense/

In my personal experience, Clarins staff that I deal with (mainly Spa, admittedly) - they are really nice and friendly, very down-to-earth. Perhaps you've been unlucky Julius?

Well done Twilight on reporting the claims on QVC to the ASA., It is totally irresponsible to make claims which cannot be substantiated. So much for QVC's legal department!

That Abbie woman needs taking down a peg or two, so I hope the ASA actually do look in to these complaints, I really can't stand the woman.

The Kiehls staff in our Debenhams also wear white coats, they are fooling no-one, or are they?

Oh no I'm sorry you'll to hearing bad news today, hope it turns out not to be, and congratulations on reporting to the ASA, QVC should be ashamed of themselves........hope all goes ok today xx

Can I echo Shopperholic's thoughts about the bad news - fingers crossed it's not bad news as you are expecting.

Latest posts

Back