Yankee Candle

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Mazza

Registered Shopper
I managed to buy the Just Go trio of large jars last week. They weren't on the website until after the show for some reason. They were dear by Q standards, £52 inc postage. They are quite mild but smell just as you would expect.

Has anyone else noticed how few YC shows there are now and how boring they are? The last few years we have been bombarded by various AD plans, Portrait jars, US specials. None of that this year and the one UK scents AD was handled a bit oddly because they had been selling drop one as a single item before announcing an AD.

Someone asked if the US specials were coming back and one of the vapid new women, is it Cait?, said they were working on it and hoped so. So I think something has gone wrong with the supply to the UK. Or the deals they can make with the US with a weak exchange rate perhaps? Last year I had at least a delivery a month but, even though I am trying to resist this year, I have not been tempted by one offering besides the new jars. I used to look forward to the shows but now I usually just FF and keep an eye on the item number changing. All very odd

Anyone else thinking the same?

:mysmilie_59:.

they had a massive pricing mistake on that large jar trio as it was part of the auto-delivery so should of been aired at £39.98 + post & not £46.56 + post as that £39.98 + post was the price people locked in at on the auto-delivery so it should of been that price thats why they didnt put it up early

as for new items there is loads coming

I managed to buy the Just Go trio of large jars last week. They weren't on the website until after the show for some reason. They were dear by Q standards, £52 inc postage. They are quite mild but smell just as you would expect.

Has anyone else noticed how few YC shows there are now and how boring they are? The last few years we have been bombarded by various AD plans, Portrait jars, US specials. None of that this year and the one UK scents AD was handled a bit oddly because they had been selling drop one as a single item before announcing an AD.

Someone asked if the US specials were coming back and one of the vapid new women, is it Cait?, said they were working on it and hoped so. So I think something has gone wrong with the supply to the UK. Or the deals they can make with the US with a weak exchange rate perhaps? Last year I had at least a delivery a month but, even though I am trying to resist this year, I have not been tempted by one offering besides the new jars. I used to look forward to the shows but now I usually just FF and keep an eye on the item number changing. All very odd

Anyone else thinking the same?

:mysmilie_59:.

Oh, most definitely! There was a show one evening last week and it felt very flat, like even the presenter and guest couldn't be bothered. It happens to coincide with my wish to cut right down (because the stash is so ridiculous) and, dare I say it, my dwindling interest. I've bought nearly all my YCs on Amazon the past year or so - not usually the latest releases but you see a lot of former QVC sets for about half/two-thirds the price they were on Q and my desire for a bargain outweighs my desire to have the latest scents.

It's a shame though. If they had the sort of offerings and variety of specials they had 2-3 years ago, such as you mention, I'm sure I'd buy more from QVC. Like you, I used to be getting regular Q deliveries. I only have the last Auto Delivery of small jars to come and I may cancel that as there are a couple in it I cannot stand. Something definitely has shifted at Q. I do find YCs are far more widely available now though and I think QVC have lost their foothold.

I agree Mazza - seems to me they're running Yankee Candles down on QVC. Very few items in stock, and as you say, no exclusives, and few shows as well. It's a shame as I always enjoyed seeing Rosa, and have ordered way too many in the past - but, my local Yankee Candle store gets all the USA specials, and regularly has offers - and will match QVC prices if you buy exactly the same combination.
There have been a lot of bad reviews in recent months about lack of scent, and smoking... so maybe the candles just aren't being manufactured as they were, and QVC don't want to sell them any more.

I agree Mazza - seems to me they're running Yankee Candles down on QVC. Very few items in stock, and as you say, no exclusives, and few shows as well. It's a shame as I always enjoyed seeing Rosa, and have ordered way too many in the past - but, my local Yankee Candle store gets all the USA specials, and regularly has offers - and will match QVC prices if you buy exactly the same combination.
There have been a lot of bad reviews in recent months about lack of scent, and smoking... so maybe the candles just aren't being manufactured as they were, and QVC don't want to sell them any more.

That's good. Is that the price inc P&P?

Think you've hit the nail on the head there, Frenchie - Q probably had loads of returns of those poorly reviewed batches (I think they're now manufactured in the Czech Republic?) and even though I think I read somewhere that the brand ultimately pays for returns, Q likely doesn't want the hassle of dealing with them.

Such a shame...but can you imagine the wailing and gnashing on Q's FB page if they stop selling the brand???? Woah!

It's the item price excluding delivery - which I was surprised at because we can't have the item from QVC without paying postage - so yes, a great deal if there's something I like :)

AndiK, I agree with you. There was one show recently where the presentation was so flat I wondered why they bothered! Both presenters seemed pretty bored, churning through old stock or air fresheners. Now I have no wish to reopen a certain debate, but there was no lack of enthusiasm a couple of years back! Clearly if Q are no longer that interested in selling YC, or YC are not that endebted to Q for their market share, then they won't be bothered. But I think it is a pity. And just look at how few posts we have about YC on this forum this year cf previous years.

:mysmilie_59::mysmilie_59:

AndiK, I agree with you. There was one show recently where the presentation was so flat I wondered why they bothered! Both presenters seemed pretty bored, churning through old stock or air fresheners. Now I have no wish to reopen a certain debate, but there was no lack of enthusiasm a couple of years back! Clearly if Q are no longer that interested in selling YC, or YC are not that endebted to Q for their market share, then they won't be bothered. But I think it is a pity. And just look at how few posts we have about YC on this forum this year cf previous years.

:mysmilie_59::mysmilie_59:

I'm with you there. I have questioned whether it was just perceived enthusiasm in my case because I was so enthusiastic to see the shows myself then. But I think it's more that at that time, there was something to be enthusiastic about. I think "the incident" with that person who is no longer of the QVC parish affected Q's relationship with Yankee and customers.

Ah well, as I say, it's a bit of a relief for me, my bank balance and my storage space, but equally, I do miss the old buzz.

I'm with you there. I have questioned whether it was just perceived enthusiasm in my case because I was so enthusiastic to see the shows myself then. But I think it's more that at that time, there was something to be enthusiastic about. I think "the incident" with that person who is no longer of the QVC parish affected Q's relationship with Yankee and customers.

Ah well, as I say, it's a bit of a relief for me, my bank balance and my storage space, but equally, I do miss the old buzz.

Totally agree, AndiK - my 'candle cupboard' is full and I must confess I'm far more impressed with the Partylite candles I was recently introduced to, but I do still have a big ole soft spot for YC and still have a few Q bargains from days gone by in the stash.

They must have a new candle brand they will be introducing though as I can't imagine they will just turn their backs on the market full stop with so many captive devotees???

There are some key brands which appeal to completists, collectors and hoarders. QVC would be foolish to jettison such easy money, yet they do give some the elbow. I think social media rant-gate must have poured cold water on the relationship.

Any controversy does seem to change the relationship. Look at BCC, no more special evenings. They seem to be giving as much of even more weight to The Poppy Appeal these days.

Totally agree, AndiK - my 'candle cupboard' is full and I must confess I'm far more impressed with the Partylite candles I was recently introduced to, but I do still have a big ole soft spot for YC and still have a few Q bargains from days gone by in the stash.

They must have a new candle brand they will be introducing though as I can't imagine they will just turn their backs on the market full stop with so many captive devotees???

Oooh, Partylite? Wot dat?

Oooh, Partylite? Wot dat?

:mysmilie_19:

Ok I absolutely promise I'm NOT a Partylite rep (aside from anything else, you can't buy them direct, only through a host) but I went to a friend's 'party' last year and bought a shed load of these (can never just buy one) and have been incredibly impressed with the quality of everything I've bought. It's considerably more expensive than YC but the quality shows - 3 wick'ed candles that burn cleanly to the edge within about 20 mins and have a powerful throw in the same time, with some absolutely divine smells. They're not soy-based but they don't smoke (unlike recent YCs I've had) and despite the fact they are about half the size of a large jar, they last about the same time as for one thing, you don't need to burn them as long to pool correctly and the smell released is so much more intense.

I can't send you much info other than on the generic website (you need access to a host's personal page to properly see the products) but you can get the gist.

http://www.partylite.com/regional/about/partylite-candles

I was incredibly suspicious at first as it is of course your bog standard pyramid selling, but the products are genuinely high quality.

:mysmilie_19:

Ok I absolutely promise I'm NOT a Partylite rep (aside from anything else, you can't buy them direct, only through a host) but I went to a friend's 'party' last year and bought a shed load of these (can never just buy one) and have been incredibly impressed with the quality of everything I've bought. It's considerably more expensive than YC but the quality shows - 3 wick'ed candles that burn cleanly to the edge within about 20 mins and have a powerful throw in the same time, with some absolutely divine smells. They're not soy-based but they don't smoke (unlike recent YCs I've had) and despite the fact they are about half the size of a large jar, they last about the same time as for one thing, you don't need to burn them as long to pool correctly and the smell released is so much more intense.

I can't send you much info other than on the generic website (you need access to a host's personal page to properly see the products) but you can get the gist.

http://www.partylite.com/regional/about/partylite-candles

I was incredibly suspicious at first as it is of course your bog standard pyramid selling, but the products are genuinely high quality.

Interesting! Thanks for this. It rings a vague bell now. If I didn't have so many candles already in stock, I'd be finding a local rep and piling in there! I have given myself a good talking to and decided I absolutely will not look into it closely. If, however (and this is unlikely), someone invites me to a party, I doubt I'll say no and now I'm armed with the info on the quality and performance, so thanks.

I recently bought some mini (votive-sized) glass pots which they were selling off in my local department store. I'd never heard of the make: CCCC is the logo and I think the company is Colonial Candle. They were only £1 or £1.50 each and they gave off a lovely, strong scent for something so tiny and they last hours. They were all the same scent: Pink Cherry Blossom - a really lovely, sweet floral sort of smell.

So we know there are others out there. I do still like Yankee though.

Latest posts

Back