Tools for the Garden & Home 17/06/18

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Tool for the home?

Mind you while I've been house-hunting and seen a few 70s shag pile carpets that could do with a trim!

Sun Joe 36cm Cordless 24v Lawnmower with 4Ah Battery
Item Number: 514020
QVC Price £242.00
Todays Special Value Price £199.98
P&P £0.00

or 3 Easy Pays of £66.66

This cordless, electric lawnmower from Sun Joe features a long-lasting battery, a built-in safety switch to prevent accidental starting, a high efficiency 600w brushless motor, and multiple cutting levels to suit your needs, from 30mm to 64mm. Powered without petrol or oil, this battery-operated, lightweight Sun Joe mower gets your garden looking neat and tidy effortlessly, without the hazard of cutting over cords, while the rugged wheels ensure you're secure and steady even on inclines or uneven ground.

Pack it up - the comfortable, soft-grip handle collapses for easy storage, making this lawn mower a great option if you're pressed for space.

Get it done - with a 35.5cm (14") cutting width and 40L grass collection capacity, you can tackle even the largest lawns with ease. The impressive 4.0Ah battery means this lawnmower will cover up to 1,000 square metres, which is equivalent to three tennis courts on one charge.

What's in the box?

1 x lawnmower
1 x 24v 4.0Ah battery
1 x rapid/quick charger stand

Technical specifications:

Battery operated: requires 1 x 24V 4Ah battery (included)
Battery charge time: 1.5 hours
Motor run time: up to 35 minutes or 1,000 square metres
Brushless motor wattage: 600W
Hybrid grass collection bag capacity: 40L
Cutting width: 35.5cm (14")
Measurements (l x w x d): 53.3cm x 41.9cm x 58.7cm (21" x 16.5" x 23.1")
Weight: 10.1kg

Colour options:

Blue
Green

All measurements are approximate

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.514020

According to the spec, in order to cut 1000 square metres in 35 minutes, you would have to cut 29 square metres every minute.

I think you would have to be an Olympic athlete to do this.

Huge error in mower description

ADMIN - - could you please leave this as a separate thread so any prospective purchasers do not get caught out like I nearly was.

The SunJoe TSV mower they claim will cut 1000 square metres on one charge, the size of 3 tennis courts, they said.

I've already posted that you would need to be an Olympic athlete to do this in 35 minutes, the time the battery lasts for.

I was seriously thinking of buying it, and looked at reviews from the US, as it is not sold in the UK except by QVC.

One reviewer said "it does not cut 1000 square FEET as advertised".

This set me thinking. The promo video shown on every presentation says that it cuts 100 square metres, but every time they have said this is wrong, it should be 1000 square metres, as does the description.

1000 square FEET as they use in the USA is roughly 100 square metres, so the promo video is actually correct. But QVC are claiming that it cuts 10 times more than this.

I've been in touch with QVC, they've just rung me back to say I am correct, and they will alter the on-line description and correct all the remaining presentations. Presumably they will also say that all the previous ones were wrong!

I was just about to buy it before I discovered the error by shopping around to see if I could buy one cheaper (and there are much cheaper cordless mowers around BTW). It would have only done about a tenth of my garden, that is, about 10 yards by 10 yards.

Has anyone ordered this based on the false information?

ADMIN - - could you please leave this as a separate thread so any prospective purchasers do not get caught out like I nearly was.

The SunJoe TSV mower they claim will cut 1000 square metres on one charge, the size of 3 tennis courts, they said.

I've already posted that you would need to be an Olympic athlete to do this in 35 minutes, the time the battery lasts for.

I was seriously thinking of buying it, and looked at reviews from the US, as it is not sold in the UK except by QVC.

One reviewer said "it does not cut 1000 square FEET as advertised".

This set me thinking. The promo video shown on every presentation says that it cuts 100 square metres, but every time they have said this is wrong, it should be 1000 square metres, as does the description.

1000 square FEET as they use in the USA is roughly 100 square metres, so the promo video is actually correct. But QVC are claiming that it cuts 10 times more than this.

I've been in touch with QVC, they've just rung me back to say I am correct, and they will alter the on-line description and correct all the remaining presentations. Presumably they will also say that all the previous ones were wrong!

I was just about to buy it before I discovered the error by shopping around to see if I could buy one cheaper (and there are much cheaper cordless mowers around BTW). It would have only done about a tenth of my garden, that is, about 10 yards by 10 yards.

Has anyone ordered this based on the false information?

Well, they've not changed it yet and what's the betting it won't get changed before the end of the day, either because they don't care or because their website people are just slow? I may be proved wrong here.

Anyway, well done Strato for pointing it out to them and to us. I am not in the market for it but others will be, of course.

PS A tennis court is approx 450 sq m or 2800 sq ft so that's wrong as well.

There has been a huge error in the description, it should NOT be 1000 square METRES but only 1000 square FEET, which is roughly 100 square METRES.

I've started a separate thread for this to draw potential purchasers to this error, as it only cuts ONE-TENTH of what QVC are saying.

I've asked admin not to merge the two threads to make the error more obvious.

There has been a huge error in the description, it should NOT be 1000 square METRES but only 1000 square FEET, which is roughly 100 square METRES.

I've started a separate thread for this to draw potential purchasers to this error, as it only cuts ONE-TENTH of what QVC are saying.

I've asked admin not to merge the two threads to make the error more obvious.

TBH i think it should be in here as this is the thread where most people will see it who are intrested in buying the TSV as i know lots have bought it & dont have any issue with that being wrong

BTW I think it has a silly name, SunJoe, but I've found out why.

The company started out by making snow blowers, and called them SnowJoe, which I suppose rhymes and is suitable for use by "an ordinary Joe" as they say in the US. So they just altered this to SunJoe when they branched out into mowers.

TBH i think it should be in here as this is the thread where most people will see it who are intrested in buying the TSV as i know lots have bought it & dont have any issue with that being wrong

But it is here as well - surely better to say it more than once so more people know. Anyway, it's up to Admin.

Personally, I would be very disappointed if I bought a mower thinking it would do 1000m and then found out it was a tenth that, especially if I had a big lawn.

BTW I think it has a silly name, SunJoe, but I've found out why.

The company started out by making snow blowers, and called them SnowJoe, which I suppose rhymes and is suitable for use by "an ordinary Joe" as they say in the US. So they just altered this to SunJoe when they branched out into mowers.

And for someone with a bigger lawn, it's about as much use as a banjo(e).

I haven't measured my garden as it has lots of odd shapes, but it is all grass and I guess it is at least 500 square metres so it would only do one-fifth of it, so no use to me at all. And I almost put it into my basket.

The description is STILL wrong, many hours later.

So I've posted a question about this on the website for the item.

I bet it won't be posted!

I actually did try a cordless mower from Q about 5 years ago, and it was hopeless. I think the battery lasted about 10 minutes unless the grass was very short to start with, so it went back.

But when I saw this one would do "1000 square metres" on 1 charge, I was very tempted, but it was wrong.

I can't remember what power the previous one was, but I think I would need an 80 volt one, which costs about £500.

Also. I have a cheap corded one from Lidl, and the blade is much bigger than the QVC one.

I only tried to cut ALL the grass with it once, and it took 4 hours, despite the 18 inch blade (the Q is only 14 inch) !

About 1/2 the time was spent moving the long extension lead around the garden.

Normally I use a petrol, but it is very heavy to manoeuvre, and this takes about 2 hours even though it is self propelled and has a 3 speed gearbox!

We were looking for a new mower as our petrol one blew up last weekend. 1000 square meters seemed promising and we were tempted until I saw that the battery lasts about 35 mins. It normally takes us well over 2 hours to cut our lawn - so no good at all. But thanks for working this out stratobuddy. If people have been misled they will get loads of returns.

Latest posts

Back