Ugly shoes

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Article recently in the press about the rise and rise of 'ugly footwear' - fashion that takes in orthopaedic wear, granny sandals, clumpy heels, trainers, toe flashing boots, etc, and I had to agree with it.

Watching various shoe shows lately, I couldn't believe the amount of sandals offered that my 80 year old gran would have worn back in the 1960's. Unflattering doesn't even cover it, yet it was 'beautiful' this and 'fabulous' that, and I might be knocking on the door of 70 but I wouldn't be seen in the back garden in them. Chuntley tends to wear some real clumpers with dainty frocks, like black wedges with a thick ankle strap that does her feet no favours - the strap just makes her legs chunkier.

I admit to loving my Skechers for casual walking comfort, BUT I have a good selection of flattering ballet shoes, and kitten heeled 'dainties' for other occasions. Don't get me started on the diving boots that Pullinger wears.

IMO the most attractive shoe range is Peter Kaiser.Of course more formal,expensive (I would want to try on in a shop) but beautiful,elegant designs.Having said thar I have Birkenstocks on my feet & the moment! Why did they disappear from QVC?

i like quite ugly but well made shoes that must be well made and uber comfy. i hate wearing dainty uncomfortable shoes that leave me with cold sore feet

If, like me and a million others, you have multiple 'foot issues' and need to wear an orthotic in your shoes, there's not a lot of choice in the matter.
I can't wear heels above about 1.5 inches, have to have a roomy toe box, nothing too flexible, and some form of fastening to keep it on the foot and firmly in position - laces or a strap.
These days I tend to just wear jeans and boots or lace up shoes. Formal events, like weddings, are a footwear nightmare for me.

If, like me and a million others, you have multiple 'foot issues' and need to wear an orthotic in your shoes, there's not a lot of choice in the matter.
I can't wear heels above about 1.5 inches, have to have a roomy toe box, nothing too flexible, and some form of fastening to keep it on the foot and firmly in position - laces or a strap.
These days I tend to just wear jeans and boots or lace up shoes. Formal events, like weddings, are a footwear nightmare for me.

Same here PaL, my nieces wedding next week, finally found 'the' shoes with compromises but even ones that fiited weren't suitable, couldn't cope with a small heel, felt like I was falling off the ground. With it being an all day event, it really was a struggle to get comfortable but nice, tried 6 different pairs. Hubby said, why don't you try town center, what a joke.

I can't wear high heels or 'pretty' shoes either, have no health issues with feet but they are wide and 'awkward'. I like well fitting, comfy flats or low heel. I find Hotter OK as they do good styles and colours and are so comfy. I like toe posts in the summer but couldn't walk miles in them. Hardy ever wear anything but jeans/chinos so weddings are a nightmare for me too!

I do quite well at Hotter too, although usually with their more 'grannyish' styles!
There's a shoe discount store near us that sells Rieker & a couple of other brands that suit me too.

For everyday shoes to wear with jeans or trousers I buy Rieker, usually in an online sale or from Amazon. If I need dressier shoes I buy Marks wide fit but I can`t do high heels, I have kitten heels or low wedges. I also own a few pairs of Ruby Shoo which have also been bought in sales.

Article recently in the press about the rise and rise of 'ugly footwear' - fashion that takes in orthopaedic wear, granny sandals, clumpy heels, trainers, toe flashing boots, etc, and I had to agree with it.

Watching various shoe shows lately, I couldn't believe the amount of sandals offered that my 80 year old gran would have worn back in the 1960's. Unflattering doesn't even cover it, yet it was 'beautiful' this and 'fabulous' that, and I might be knocking on the door of 70 but I wouldn't be seen in the back garden in them. Chuntley tends to wear some real clumpers with dainty frocks, like black wedges with a thick ankle strap that does her feet no favours - the strap just makes her legs chunkier.

I admit to loving my Skechers for casual walking comfort, BUT I have a good selection of flattering ballet shoes, and kitten heeled 'dainties' for other occasions. Don't get me started on the diving boots that Pullinger wears.

I tend to agree with you there is a bias to casual footwear and like you said they aren't fashionable I'm not far off 70 but like to wear nice court shoes and heeled strappy sandals not too high of course need to be comfy They should cater for all tastes!!! I have quite a lot of Clark's that are a lot nicer than Q offers !!! If you have problems with your feet it shouldn't
mean that you can't have fashionable styles!!

I get my shoes from Ambrose Wilson (JD Williams group). A good range IMO, in extra width and various heel heights. Luckily I don’t have problems with my feet, and all the shoes I’ve tried so far from AW in my size and width have fitted nicely.

IMO the most attractive shoe range is Peter Kaiser.Of course more formal,expensive (I would want to try on in a shop) but beautiful,elegant designs.Having said thar I have Birkenstocks on my feet & the moment! Why did they disappear from QVC?

John Lewis stock Peter Kaiser. They are beautiful shoes and I would definitely consider buying a pair if I would get the wear from them. Gabor is another super-comfy German brand that doesn't look granny-ish to me.

I am normally in Birks until the end of summer now, with a heavy dressing of Skechers. I also live in Clarke when something more smart is required, either the wedge sandals I bought as a TSV, or flatforms or flat pumps.

Thank you MML I was beginning to think it was just me that despite wanting comfort, certainly don't want to shod my feet in 'granny' shoes or sandals. I also wish that shoe designers come up with an alternative to a fiddly ankle strap buckle. Years ago I bought a pair of 'foreign' shoes where the buckle was faux, but behind it was a loop and button which was far easier to do up rather than struggling to reach down to do them up !

Thank you MML I was beginning to think it was just me that despite wanting comfort, certainly don't want to shod my feet in 'granny' shoes or sandals. I also wish that shoe designers come up with an alternative to a fiddly ankle strap buckle. Years ago I bought a pair of 'foreign' shoes where the buckle was faux, but behind it was a loop and button which was far easier to do up rather than struggling to reach down to do them up !

My feet have been a nightmare almost all of my adult life. I don't know how people manage in skinny straps, skinny heels, low vamps, really high heel height, thin soles, no arch support. I have honey feet, bunions, a tendency to extreme swelling, blister on any part of my feet including the sole at the slightest provocation, kankles, high instead and more. Comfort is my driving priority, but I don't want my footwear to look like a medical prescription!!

John Lewis stock Peter Kaiser. They are beautiful shoes and I would definitely consider buying a pair if I would get the wear from them. Gabor is another super-comfy German brand that doesn't look granny-ish to me.

I am normally in Birks until the end of summer now, with a heavy dressing of Skechers. I also live in Clarke when something more smart is required, either the wedge sandals I bought as a TSV, or flatforms or flat pumps.

i were quite a lot of gabor for what they are the do look ok and the fit and quality is superb

When I was a child I was made to wear sensible shoes. In my 20s I went out dancing in 4-inch heels. In my 30s onwards headed back to more sensible. I have a high instep so could never wear the ballet pumps, flip flops etc. Rieker and Gabor two brands I wait for the sales, also as I only take a size 3 can be a nuance. Love the ankle boots which is what I mainly wear. Sketchers I do own a pair but really do not like the memory foam feel under my feet!

At home I live in Birkenstock clogs, I have a leather pair with the soles worn to nothing. So bought Oxygen leather clogs they look very like Birkenstocks but much cheaper if found on sale. Summer, I have a number of pairs of Earth Spirit Arlington which are great for walking, the straps can be adjusted heel and across the toes too. I always look in the autumn as they go down to £20+ in the sales and buy for the next year.

I love Gabor - had a pair of flats from them that lasted YEARS, very good quality and some nice styles. Clarks I find variable but when good, very good. M&S also - bought a lovely pair of toe posts this year. Got a pair of Skechers lace-up (don't like the bungee ones) in TK Maxx and they're SO comfy :sun:

My summer work shoes for the past four years were Gabor Amy ballerina pumps. The price never increased, I had two pairs, black & navy, & even though they were dark they went with everything. I'm aware that I'm lucky to have 'easy' feet, probably compensation for having childbearing hips.

When I was a child I was made to wear sensible shoes. In my 20s I went out dancing in 4-inch heels. In my 30s onwards headed back to more sensible. I have a high instep so could never wear the ballet pumps, flip flops etc. Rieker and Gabor two brands I wait for the sales, also as I only take a size 3 can be a nuance. Love the ankle boots which is what I mainly wear. Sketchers I do own a pair but really do not like the memory foam feel under my feet!

At home I live in Birkenstock clogs, I have a leather pair with the soles worn to nothing. So bought Oxygen leather clogs they look very like Birkenstocks but much cheaper if found on sale. Summer, I have a number of pairs of Earth Spirit Arlington which are great for walking, the straps can be adjusted heel and across the toes too. I always look in the autumn as they go down to £20+ in the sales and buy for the next year.

I can identify. As a child with pigeon-toes I was at the physio in the hospital every week with exercised to do, and every month or so my mum would have to buy new shoes for my fast-growing feet. One pair unscathed and the other sacrificed on the altar of the orthotic adaptations to stop my toes pointing inwards and give my feet a more turned-out look. I hated it at the time, but it worked.

I graduated to 60s-style stilettos (slightly higher than a kitten heel), 4 and 5 inch stilettos, and got bunions.

I find the M&S shoe lasts produce shoes of exquisite torture for my feet. The last pair I ever bought from there were worn 1.5 times (I ended up walking home barefoot in a freezing January from the second outing) before they were chucked out.

The bunions now mean that my once-normal width feet are now wider - with one wider than the other.

If you don't have happy feet, it's hard to be happy at all, I find. It is something I value highly, but it doesn't mean I will pay silly prices for shoes, only that I don't put price at the top of my priorities when shoe shopping.

I consider myself fortunate to have reached my age without bunions or 'deformed toes' - but I have suffered with a Morton Neuroma which felt like walking on hot coals. Yes, I've done the working in high heels for decades bit, and also find that the shoes in M & S are hard on my feet - too narrow; and admit as I've gotten older, I cant wear shoes with 'hard' uppers, but I still like my 'pretty' footwear. I have some lovely flats from Dune, and on the lacy Sketchers pumps I got my hot glue gun working in putting some glitter diamonte stones amongst the lace - drew loads of compliments. So even the plainest can look great with a bit of imagination and creativity.

Birkis are very ugly but so comfortable. I can walk 10 miles in a pair of Gizehs.

Latest posts

Back