Tattoos yeah or nay

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

puffin48

Registered Shopper
Just watching Fashion on Friday and one of the models has a small tattoo in the crook of her arm. It got me thinking that I dont think I have every seen a model on QVC with a tattoo, unless anyone knows differently.

I personally, and I think its an age thing, dont particularly like them but if you want to tattoo your body then thats up to the individual.

What do you think about the models having tattoos. It does seem that QVC employ models without them

I've seen at least one of the models sporting small tattoos in the past, and at least one of them is still appearing regularly on QVC.

Today there are increasing numbers of people with extensive tattoos, so I think it's just something we all have to be prepared to get used to seeing in any walk of life.

Initially anything "different" is distracting and a primary point of focus... but as you get to know a person with a distracting feature you stop focusing on that and focus on them as a person. It's more difficult with people on the telly as you see them for a short time and never long enough to get to a stage of noticing the person more than their distinguishing mark.

Personally I do not like them, and I do not think I would have one. I won't say never, because who knows what life holds for any of us? I see people getting tattoos to cover up traumatic scars or amputations. Some have them to replace something important to them that has been taken away (nipples after mastectomy reconstructions, for example). Some have them to celebrate survival, or to remember a loved one living or dead.

Even if they are not something I would want, I can admire a carefully thought out and artistic tattoo. I just also can't help wondering what it will look like when it's faded and the skin it adorns has stretched or sagged.

In some industries they insist on no visible tattoos. In others they insist the tattoo should be of a size or a location that can be covered up. Eventually I think these rules will be substantially relaxed if the companies want any employees at all!

I do think some tattoos are going to render someone unemployable in some professions, but with people now able to work remotely where you only talk to them by phone or use email or instant messaging to interact with them professionally who is to know or care if they are covered from head to foot with tattoos?

I've seen at least one of the models sporting small tattoos in the past, and at least one of them is still appearing regularly on QVC.

Today there are increasing numbers of people with extensive tattoos, so I think it's just something we all have to be prepared to get used to seeing in any walk of life.

Initially anything "different" is distracting and a primary point of focus... but as you get to know a person with a distracting feature you stop focusing on that and focus on them as a person. It's more difficult with people on the telly as you see them for a short time and never long enough to get to a stage of noticing the person more than their distinguishing mark.

Personally I do not like them, and I do not think I would have one. I won't say never, because who knows what life holds for any of us? I see people getting tattoos to cover up traumatic scars or amputations. Some have them to replace something important to them that has been taken away (nipples after mastectomy reconstructions, for example). Some have them to celebrate survival, or to remember a loved one living or dead.

Even if they are not something I would want, I can admire a carefully thought out and artistic tattoo. I just also can't help wondering what it will look like when it's faded and the skin it adorns has stretched or sagged.

In some industries they insist on no visible tattoos. In others they insist the tattoo should be of a size or a location that can be covered up. Eventually I think these rules will be substantially relaxed if the companies want any employees at all!

I do think some tattoos are going to render someone unemployable in some professions, but with people now able to work remotely where you only talk to them by phone or use email or instant messaging to interact with them professionally who is to know or care if they are covered from head to foot with tattoos?

Its funny isn't it, my dad - god rest his soul- and my brother in law both had tattoos because they were in the navy and it was the norm. However, my brother in law had his lasered off because he had the name of his ex wife tattooed on his arm!!! I do wonder how some of these people will look when they get old and their skin gets wrinkly.

Hate tattoos especially on women.Worst of all seeing someone in a lovely, especially wedding dress with tattoos showing.I also think David Beckham’s tattoos look awful & it seems as though his eldest son is following the trend.

I don't really like tattoos, but they don't hurt anyone... so if its your thing enjoy them.

Not a fan. Seems crazy to tattoo skin as the sun gets to the ink and fades them. My tastes change too so I would no doubt go off the design.

According to reports, we are the most tattooed nation ! (in Europe anyway)

Yes I've seen models on Q with tattoos, but they've been heavily disguised with make up.

I'm not of an age to be caught up in the fashion, but I've often wondered who are the tattoos for ? when I see chaps with their lower calves adorned, they certainly cant see them or read them, so are they for us to look at them ? same with their arms, is it ok for us to 'read and gaze' like a newspaper, when behind them in a queue ? generally they are just designs or mermaids so a bit pointless really.

I've said before on here I have Lupus, and even though I don't like them, there is no way I would insert something into my skin that would play havoc with my immune system - who knows what the chemicals would do - even to a healthy person.

I have my sons and my husbands name making up the shape of a small cross on the top of my left arm, my husband has mine and our sons names on the bottom of the banner that runs underneath his Everton crest tattoo (football team, not QVC presenter :mysmilie_17:) top of his left arm, because although it's only ink, I love them so much I feel they're with me all the time and when my day comes to sign off this earth, I will have their names with me, the husband feels the same, we only have one tattoo each. My sons both have tattoos that look great, they're not up their necks or covered in them, just a couple on their arm of things that mean something to them, like their wedding dates and the birth of their sons in Roman numerals, my eldest son and wife were trying for five years for a baby and conceived on a romantic trip to Rome to celebrate their eighth wedding anniversary, and she conceived there after years of trying (and sadly a miscarriage), they really do suit them, they're trendy gorgeous, well groomed young men (no multi piercings) I think the whole reason for getting a tattoo is having something permanently with you that you love, admire or just a way of expressing yourself, tribesmen have been tattooing since time began, only they didn't have a parlour you could visit on a Saturday afternoon. Agreed they're not for everyone, what in life is except oxygen. So once again, it's a classic case of each to their own. :mysmilie_3:

I'd never have a tattoo myself , I wouldn't put myself through the pain and to be honest I'd rather wear a nice design on a t shirt, or jewellery. I used to think that a little butterfly, or flower tattooed on the shoulder or ankle looked quite charming, but sadly nowadays, well in my opinion look a bit "chavvy", although not quite in the "tramp stamp" league. Personally I think some people look great with tattoos that go with their image eg, the goth look, but when you see for example a mainstream pretty young girl with incomprehensible script written down the back of her leg, across her torso..it looks a little bit ridiculous and you kind of think...what on earth possessed you to do this? Then there's those who just looked like they've been attacked with a marker pen, basically it looks like they've been scribbled on and need to wash it off!

I dislike tattoos but to each their own. I have 3 sons and just one of them has a tattoo across his shoulder and upper arm. His ex girlfriend had her own tattoo studio and she also did body modifications too. She was covered in tats and had so many piercings ( some of which I never saw nor did I want to see )but she was young ( mid 20`s ) and the tattoos and piercings fitted in with her "style". I found myself wondering how she`d look and feel about her tattoos and piercings when she was maybe a granny in her 60`s or should her svelte fashionable shape plump up with age. They broke up 2 or 3 years ago and my son now lives in a different town so he never sees her but even back then her business was going from strength to strength as more and more people wanted tattoos. Not for me I`m afraid.

Not for me either. It's a trend, and it will go out of fashion again eventually. Already, people like David Beckham are looking ridiculous and dated.

People I know, including my self, didn't get a tattoo to be fashionable, we got them because it was something that meant a lot to us and hold dear to our hearts. I don't think people get a tattoo too to be fashionable, how can you, they're all a matter of personal taste, no tattoos are "fashionable" it's a personal preference, but it if was a "fashion" it must be the longest running one of all time, we got ours twenty five years ago, and tattooing was going donkeys years before that as well.

I'm interested to know about the tattoo 'artists'. Back in the day, these people were highly skilled artists who drew freehand their designs onto the body, and I remember marvelling at this skill. (although not for me). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I gather tattoos are just transfers which are inked onto the body with no particular skill at all needed. So, if this is the case, then anyone could set up a studio - sort of takes the 'glamour' out of it for me.

You need a license and be officially registered to set up a studio. The artist will still have to be skilled because they draw the design you ask for from scratch, then transfer it on to wherever you want it, you tell him/her what you want at your consultation they draw it and you’ll either say yes or ask them to add or take away a part of it so you do really need to be skilled, they do have standard designs, or designs they’ve already drew that you can pick from on the wall or their catalogue or like I say, design one yourself. I’d be terrified to try and do that job, you need to have nerves of steel.

Tattoos are centuries old so have never ever really gone out of fashion or been in fashion. The Celts did them and mummified bodies from Egypt have them. Sometimes to do with religion or which clan you belonged to. The Nazis kept the skin from inmates who died in the death camps. Many women who have had breast cancer get tattoos now in the breast area. I have seen photos of usually floral designs.

I have seen women in their 70s with tattoos which they must have got when young, children's names and religious symbols.

One of my favourite shows to watch is Tattoo Fixers. Some come in for a new tattoo, sometimes to cover something gained on a rowdy night out. Some of the stories bring a tear to your eye. What you remember is the person and their personal story.
Because you are drawing blood with a tattoo needle, they still need to be licensed, but you can buy a tattooing gun without a license, so just beware your friend offering "a go". Best to do your homework and see some real life examples because it's permanent.

Latest posts

Back