false nails, ugh !

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
I realise guests/presenters have their nails on show quite a lot in their presentations so have to look good, but to see obviously false nails that look as though they are about to ping off is not a good look. The Lola Rose guest tonight has the most awful false nails, I didn't watch much of the programme, - I couldn't take my eyes off them !! Just plain clean hands and nails are a far better look.

I can't say I notice her nails, it's her twee voice and slightly overbearing manner that annoys me. Her persona is very much in the Kelly Hoppen / Liz Earle mould.

I agree about the Tinkerbelle voice, but her nails were continually on show, when she was sticking her finger under the necklace on the stand - and in close-up !

If guest presenters insist on wearing false nails, then I suggest they look at them through the mirror, and see what we see before going on air !

To name but two - the guest presenter on Lola Rose, and Abbi (Dyson), wave their hands about showing off their fingers, but the falsies are so bad, in length and colour, that you can see their real short and chubby offerings underneath. Are they necessary ? surely a decent manicure would be better, and more pleasant for us to look at !

You should watch GemsTV, the false nails are really bad. Sometimes one will have fallen off and they still go on pressing. Or the long filed to a point false nails and the gaps at the cuticles

I think with the close up zoom in on hands and feet, it would be better if all the presenters, guests and models had a professional manicure and pedicure (where feet are on show) before going on air.

Whether it's a natural or a false nail, once that camera gets in for a hard close-up there is nowhere to hide from dodgy paint jobs, snaggly cuticles, scaly skin and the rest.

These days there's no real need to go for stick-on false nails in most circumstances, but if you have an emergency nail break before you go on air, I can see why it would seem a sensible alternative... but again for going on-air, I think it would be better if someone who can hide the real nail was doing the application.

There are a few who manage to have their hands look nice, but as the presenters advance in age, or tan themselves to shoe-leather, they will not look nice in extreme close up - never mind HD!!!

One thing I really dislike - whether it's fake or on a real nail - is a french manicure. Particularly on toes. But that's just me!

Ha! Good thing we’re all different. Not that I like false nails particularly but my nails always look like I have a French manicure. Fingers and toes. It’s just what they look like. People always assume I’ve had them done but I haven’t. I don’t have much choice. The nail tips are so white they show through all but the darkest polish.

Ha! Good thing we’re all different. Not that I like false nails particularly but my nails always look like I have a French manicure. Fingers and toes. It’s just what they look like. People always assume I’ve had them done but I haven’t. I don’t have much choice. The nail tips are so white they show through all but the darkest polish.

Mine are the same & as thin as tissue paper, I look after them as though they are priceless Chinese porcelain.

I think with the close up zoom in on hands and feet, it would be better if all the presenters, guests and models had a professional manicure and pedicure (where feet are on show) before going on air.

Whether it's a natural or a false nail, once that camera gets in for a hard close-up there is nowhere to hide from dodgy paint jobs, snaggly cuticles, scaly skin and the rest.

These days there's no real need to go for stick-on false nails in most circumstances, but if you have an emergency nail break before you go on air, I can see why it would seem a sensible alternative... but again for going on-air, I think it would be better if someone who can hide the real nail was doing the application.

There are a few who manage to have their hands look nice, but as the presenters advance in age, or tan themselves to shoe-leather, they will not look nice in extreme close up - never mind HD!!!

One thing I really dislike - whether it's fake or on a real nail - is a french manicure. Particularly on toes. But that's just me!

Anna and Abbi, the two Brissles mentioned don't wear stick on false nails, they are Acrylics.

Last edited:
alexis of l'occitane has really short nails just like mine. i have very thin nails that peel and dont grow well. but she manages to always have groomed nails. long fake nails look really tacky specially the dyson hairdryer presenter

Anna and Abbi, the two Brissle's mentioned don't wear stick on false nails, they are Acrylics.

I thought false nails and acrylics are the same - in that both mediums are a foreign object that is applied to the nail with adhesive? I may be wrong, however?

alexis of l'occitane has really short nails just like mine. i have very thin nails that peel and dont grow well. but she manages to always have groomed nails. long fake nails look really tacky specially the dyson hairdryer presenter

The Dyson gal (abbie) is tacky personified imho.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find the opposite annoys me more. Chloe has the most dreadful bitten nails yet she still paints them. If that was me I wouldn't do anything to bring attention to them.

I find long ‘talons’ (false or natural) and dark tans very old fashioned, on trend in the 1990’s..

I thought false nails and acrylics are the same - in that both mediums are a foreign object that is applied to the nail with adhesive? I may be wrong, however?

The Dyson gal (abbie) is tacky personified imho.

False nails I would normally associate with what you but at the chemists in a pack of 10 with double sides stickers to put them on your nail. With acrylics and gels a substance is bonded to your nail, usually with tips added for extra length. False nails can ping off without warning. Acrylics and gels need heavy duty removal, preferably by someone who knows what they're doing as it can wreck your nails either temporarily or permanently. That's my understanding of the difference. Of course strictly speaking you are absolutely correct that acrylic nails are false nails too!

False nails I would normally associate with what you but at the chemists in a pack of 10 with double sides stickers to put them on your nail. With acrylics and gels a substance is bonded to your nail, usually with tips added for extra length. False nails can ping off without warning. Acrylics and gels need heavy duty removal, preferably by someone who knows what they're doing as it can wreck your nails either temporarily or permanently. That's my understanding of the difference. Of course strictly speaking you are absolutely correct that acrylic nails are false nails too!

]False nails I would normally associate with what you but at the chemists in a pack of 10 with double sides stickers to put them on your nail<<

>>Yuk! Do people still actually use these? Can you imagine what can get under them?

I know little about 'advances' in false nail matters, prefer the natural look, but whatever floats a persons boat(or nail, if it's come unstuck)......etc

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back