Ultrasun TSV 05/07/18

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think most of my indifference to Ultrasun is the way Abi Cleeve presents it. As mentioned above, her “this is what I want you to do (for me)” and “buy this for your man” are so smug and condescending that I can’t listen. She used to claim that the police and fire brigades issue Ultrasun to their officers. Well, my brother was in the London Fire Brigade and my nephew is in the Met police and neither have ever heard of it, nor get any brand of sunscreen issued to them. I don’t like being “duped” or lied to, or given info by someone who hasn’t checked her facts.

Yes, she was on today, touting the TSV with her usual: "I want you to" and "you will...." Oh will I, Abbi?

I object to being ordered around by a mendacious, suncare-obsessed, yellow-shoe-wearing dominatrix.

For me it's Boots Soltan, Asda Protect, Nivea Pocket Pack and Green People's all the way - apart from my eye SPF which is made by.....Ultrasun!

If multi-director Cleeve's products were the best then surely they would be regularly advertised in womens magazines - but they aint !

If multi-director Cleeve's products were the best then surely they would be regularly advertised in womens magazines - but they aint !

She does seem to have her fingers in quite a few pies. Ultrasun is really all about the marketing - the fact that it's "made in Switzerland," that it's so-called "professional suncare," and has relatively classy packaging and branding. Personally I wouldn't care if my sun cream were made in a giant vat in Grimsby, so long as it does what it says on the tube.

Then there's the whole question of "professional suncare." As opposed to what, Abbi? Suncare devised by the local postman mixing up cooking oils in his back garden? Does Boots Soltan not count as professional? It is, after all, developed by eminent scientists just as capable, if not more so than Ultrasun's?

Some Ultrasun products are OK, but really one is buying into branding and ultimately funding AC's banana yellow shoe collection and pudding basin hairdos.

Apparently Q have messed up the TSV, people who ordered SPF 30 got 50 and vice versa!!

Hmmm. There's a lot of confusion about Ultrasun and sunscreens in general.

I don't think people apply enough or frequently enough and that's probably why they're getting burnt. Ultrasun says once a day but do mention in their Sun Account their recommended time in the sun for different skin types. On the bottle I've just picked up and given to OH (to apply for the second time today as he's been sweating) it does say to re-apply after blah blah (didn't read it all as it's ****** tiny!).

Then there's ingredient confusion. Even Caroline Hirons appears to have got something wrong about sunscreen - someone has asked about using mineral sunscreen in Hawaii (which IS allowed as it doesn't affect the reef), but she says mineral is bad for the sea. This was something I'd already looked into for my niece who is off to Hawaii and the US in September. I'd contacted their tourist info people and asked exactly what is acceptable. I had a very comprehensive list of ingredients and brands back (though interesting to see some products in approved brands are banned). I forwarded it to my niece but I'm not sure if I still have it as I bought some sunscreens for her to take so she won't need to get any at the airport (I know her well - everything will be a last minute job). If I still have it I'll post it here. CH also mentions the 'up to 10 hours' thing but if she'd done a bit of research she'd see that the maximum they recommend is dependant on the product and skin type used. People need to read labels (including me!).

I'm allergic to several sunscreens including octocrylene and homosalate - both are currently under investigation currently by the FDA along with some others. Titanium and zinc oxides are considered safe by them. I don't have any problems with Ultrasun products as the ones I use don't have the two I can't use. There's some homosalate in some of the sports gels which I only found out after a reaction! That'll teach me to read EVERY bottle.

Then (again) there's the nano in minerals. I read about problems with this when Bare Minerals started getting popular. The teeny size of the powder particles were suspected of being problematic if breathed in. That seemed to have caused a bit of hysteria with nano zinc and titanium in cream sunscreens, which obviously can't be breathed in, so isn't a problem. Funnily enough I used to mix mineral powders in my moisturisers when I first used them. Primarily for the finish, but it clicked that buffing the powders in was triggering asthma attacks for me. As soon as I read about the nano powder formulations it made sense and I gave them up.

I'm an odd bird, though. I never used to have a problem and worked on the hay in the summer. Now I can't even drive through an area with a grass verge being cut without choking (even with the windows closed) so 'normal' people obviously needn't be as careful as I have to be.

I like Ultrasun products. I find them effective, quite pleasant and easy to use (even though I don't go outside much these days). I insist on my OH using sunscreen and he doesn't object to it either so that's another plus. He'd be happy using Aldi/Lidl/Boots/whatever's cheapest but when I have to rub it in his back he uses what I can use (or spends time waiting around in hospital with me).

The only thing I find objectionable about Ultrasun is Abi Cleeve.

Applying any SPF, to get the rating shown on the package, you have to apply the recommended dose. For your face that is 5ml (1 teaspoon).
Try that with a tinted moisturiser or SPF foundation and you will get through the stuff like a dose of salts and your skin will probably not look great.

If you apply less, say 1/2 teaspoon, then it's half the SPF.

There are some great videos for SPF from Nadine Baggott. I like her style and the products she's recommending are ones which are actually available in the UK right now (the oldest of these videos is 2 weeks old at the time of posting).

Face SPFS

Spray on Body SPFs

Tinted Face SPFs

Also, if you want to have a guide to applying, Dr Sam Bunting did one for her own Face SPF launch

Hi SCW - are these links in the original post below still valid? I tried them and got the inevitable product not found...

Ultrasun 5 Piece Sun Protection Holiday Essentials Collection
http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.234644

Auto-Delivery Ultrasun 5 Piece Sun Protection Holiday Essentials Collection
http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.237090

QVC Price £55.00
Todays Special Value Price £29.96
P&P £4.95

Ultrasun FAQs
Ultrasun Sun Account

This five-piece selection from Ultrasun comes in two options to suit your SPF needs, with core products in each set featuring the After Sun Tan Booster and two of the Lip Protection SPF 30, plus Sports Spray SPF 30 and Family SPF 30 in the High 30 protection option, or Extreme SPF 50+ and Sports Spray SPF 50 in the High 50 collection. Choose the level of SPF you need based on you and your family's skin types and destination, and let this comprehensive Ultrasun collection help to ensure you all stay protected in the sunshine.

*A great saving: If you were to buy the High 50 sun protection collection individually from Ultrasun you’d pay £84. So to get it for our Today's Special Value price of just £29.96, plus P&P, is a brilliant saving of £49.09.

Stay stocked up - select our Auto Delivery option and receive this great selection once more in 30 days, at this great price - perfect if you're jetting off multiple times this year!

Long-lasting protection - just one application of an SPF from the Ultrasun range provides all day protection - although another application may be required in extreme circumstances - and offers gentle formulas that are suitable for all skin types. With a shelf life of two years after opening for most products, you can keep your skin protected when you’re off the beach and back home.

Can be applied once a day (reapply in extreme circumstances)
All-day protection against UVA and UVB rays
Suitable for all skin types
SPF products are free from oils, emulsifiers and perfumes
Can be used for up to two years after opening

All collections contain:

1 x After Sun Tan Booster (100ml) - this fast-absorbing gel helps to enhance the look of your tan and delivers a cooling effect
2 x Lip Protection SPF 30 (4.8g) - helps to keep your lips feeling hydrated and protected from UV rays. Infused with vitamin E and blackcurrant seed oil

High 30 option contains:

1 x Sports Spray SPF 30 (150ml) - a fast-absorbing, clear, non-greasy, non-sticky gel that's water and perspiration-resistant; ideal for people who enjoy sports and water sports and gentle enough to use on the scalp
1 x Family SPF 30 (150ml) - a gentle, fast-absorbing and non-greasy formula that provides protection for areas that easily catch the sun, and is a great choice for those with sensitive skin

High 50 option contains:

1 x Extreme SPF 50+ (150ml) - offers very high protection, even under extreme sun conditions when high sun protection is essential
1 x Sports Spray SPF 50 (150ml) - a high protection, fast-absorbing, clear, non-greasy, non-sticky gel that's water and perspiration-resistant; ideal for people who enjoy sports and water sports and gentle enough to use on the scalp

How to use:

Apply liberally in the shade (ideally indoors) to clean, dry skin 15 - 30 minutes before sun exposure

Please refer to the sun account to make sure you use the right level SPF for your skin and do not exceed the amount of time you can spend in the sun

Applying any SPF, to get the rating shown on the package, you have to apply the recommended dose. For your face that is 5ml (1 teaspoon).
Try that with a tinted moisturiser or SPF foundation and you will get through the stuff like a dose of salts and your skin will probably not look great.

If you apply less, say 1/2 teaspoon, then it's half the SPF.

There are some great videos for SPF from Nadine Baggott. I like her style and the products she's recommending are ones which are actually available in the UK right now (the oldest of these videos is 2 weeks old at the time of posting).

Face SPFS

Spray on Body SPFs

Tinted Face SPFs

Also, if you want to have a guide to applying, Dr Sam Bunting did one for her own Face SPF launch

Useful thanks. Have you sent these links to AC ?

There was a double page spread in the DM today about once a day suncreams although Ultrasun was not one of those tested they did not fare well.Also in my July issue of Which Travel there is a paragraph advising to avoid once a day sunscreens, and in Australia any sunscreen making this claim is banned from sale.It would seem that there are plenty of questions out there, it will be interesting to hear how Ultrasun and Abbi C. address these issues.

I have only had ultrasun once as I wasn’t a fan, we prefer Sunsense and reapply at lunchtime.My partner got a bit burnt using Ultrasun and I was very annoyed when I lifted the label to see it recommended to reapply every couple of hours and not once s day.

Latest posts

Back