Your postage should ALWAYS be refunded

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
I'm just catching up on the TV programme SUPERSHOPPERS that I recorded recently and learned something I never knew before.

As you know, if you buy online from QVC (or anywhere else) you have the legal right to return anything within 14 days of receiving it (and they were quite specific about when the time starts).

But by law, they HAVE TO REFUND the cost you paid for the original standard delivery charge (but not any extra you paid for next day delivery or similar).

This applies even if they offer free returns.

Most firms do NOT refund your postage, but legally they HAVE to, and you should demand it.

If the item is faulty, they have to provide free return postage as well.

Did anyone else know this? To me, it makes a big difference if I know their excessive postage has to be refunded if I want to return something.

Interesting. I just watched that on catch-up. I can't believe we didn't know this? Who's going to be the first to challenge QVC?

I'm just catching up on the TV programme SUPERSHOPPERS that I recorded recently and learned something I never knew before.

As you know, if you buy online from QVC (or anywhere else) you have the legal right to return anything within 14 days of receiving it (and they were quite specific about when the time starts).

But by law, they HAVE TO REFUND the cost you paid for the original standard delivery charge (but not any extra you paid for next day delivery or similar).

This applies even if they offer free returns.

Most firms do NOT refund your postage, but legally they HAVE to, and you should demand it.

If the item is faulty, they have to provide free return postage as well.

Did anyone else know this? To me, it makes a big difference if I know their excessive postage has to be refunded if I want to return something.

It used to be under DSR (Distance Selling Regs) But you have to return the item in the condition you received it, so no wearing it. And you had to formally notify them that you were returning the item under DSR.

I can't remember the name of the new regulations, which appears to combine several pieces of legislation, including the Sale of Goods act. DSR allows a cooling off period of 14days. You don't have to have a specific reason to return items, but the new reg that replaces Sale of Goods is consumer protection for similar reasons to SOGA, where goods have to be fit for purpose and as described, as well as now adding the exchange or refund of faulty goods.

It used to be under DSR (Distance Selling Regs) But you have to return the item in the condition you received it, so no wearing it. And you had to formally notify them that you were returning the item under DSR.

I can't remember the name of the new regulations, which appears to combine several pieces of legislation, including the Sale of Goods act. DSR allows a cooling off period of 14days. You don't have to have a specific reason to return items, but the new reg that replaces Sale of Goods is consumer protection for similar reasons to SOGA, where goods have to be fit for purpose and as described, as well as now adding the exchange or refund of faulty goods.

Consumer Contracts Regulations? This is what Which says:
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/i-want-to-return-something-bought-online

The thread title is misleading unfortunately. There are exceptions to the Consumer Contracts Regs (formally Distance Selling Regs)meaning that not all purchases are covered.

I've always returned items under DSL/CCR to QVC and had both item and cost of original refunded. I have had occasions where the postage has been missed but a call to CSD has sorted and refund of postage made.

Here is the relevant page on the QVC website

http://www.qvcuk.com/CustomerCareReturns.content.html?viewType=gallery&pageSize=24

QUOTE=KimP;923106]The thread title is misleading unfortunately. /QUOTE]

The only exceptions mentioned in the programme were items you could not return at all, such as items for personal use, probably like that pelvic floor exerciser that they sold !

The thread title is misleading unfortunately. There are exceptions to the Consumer Contracts Regs (formally Distance Selling Regs)meaning that not all purchases are covered.

I've always returned items under DSL/CCR to QVC and had both item and cost of original refunded. I have had occasions where the postage has been missed but a call to CSD has sorted and refund of postage made.

Here is the relevant page on the QVC website

http://www.qvcuk.com/CustomerCareReturns.content.html?viewType=gallery&pageSize=24

I used the link, but so far I haven't found the relevant term.

If anyone finds it, could they please give the direct link to it.

I also watched supershoppers Stratobuddy, and I honestly didn't realise that legally companies are obliged to refund everything you've paid for a product which includes postage and packaging, although when it comes to return postage costs then they don't actually have to legally, though many companies do collect free of charge or supply pre paid return labels. I was going to post this on here too, but you've beaten me to it!
A real eye opener, especially considering the shenanigans that went on with the bid channels a few years back..They must have held on to countless £7.99's and in some cases £9.99's, and nobody ever knew, I think if they had've done then the complaints they received would've tripled!

I don't buy much from the Q anymore, my purchases have all been made after some thought, I have only returned three items in the past two years & every time my original p&p was refunded. I found the info from Which really interesting because I've never cancelled an order by contacting a seller & then returned something, I've just sent it back. I love shopping & probably have a 50:50 split of buying online & real shopping; I try to get free p&p by waiting until I need a larger amount of something & Superdrug & M&S are good for having 'orders over £- free p&p'.

In Gemporia terms and conditions it states:-

12.6. No refund of delivery charges: we do not refund the cost of the original delivery charges or the return delivery charges.

So legally should they return the original p & p, if you have only purchased one item and return it back to them?

I always ask for the outward p & p from QVC, and have asked Gemporia in the past, but they have not refunded due to the above.

Also, it seems you have the right to CANCEL your order within 14 days of ordering it.

But even 1/2 hour after making an order, QVC has refused to cancel mine as "it has been sent to the warehouse"!

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/can-i-cancel-an-online-order

Yes, but returning it under whatever DSR is called the days would refund all postage costs so would probably be acceptable in law. Otherwise you couldn't be sent out goods during the 14 day period to be sure you could cancel with nothing being sent out.

Ideal World has a 14 day MBG so (assuming the goods are returned unused, labels intact etc.) all their P&P should be refunded where it's charged for individual items right?

When there's a daily postage charge or IW's "multi-line p&p I can see it's more complicated where some items but not all are returned.

Has anyone successfully claimed their p&p back from IW? I mostly order what I know I'll keep, though Asda returns are making things easier. Anything involving IW customer service (or QVC for that matter) I only do via email so I can keep a paper trail.

Yes, but returning it under whatever DSR is called the days would refund all postage costs so would probably be acceptable in law. Otherwise you couldn't be sent out goods during the 14 day period to be sure you could cancel with nothing being sent out.

I've sometimes ordered something, then changed my mind 1/2 hour later, tried to cancel, but Q have said "too late, you will have to have it then send it back". RIDICULOUS!

I think the Supershoppers thing made it sound more simple and didn't fully explain things.

As i understand it you need to inform the seller in writing(email is ok) that you wish to cancel the order, you are then entitled to the postage refund when they receive the goods back

If you don't tell QVC they will be presuming you are returning under there 30 day MBG

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/i-want-to-return-something-bought-online

Latest posts

Back