Skinsense by Abi Cleeves TSV 17/07/18

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I wonder what annoying white coated Professor Cleeve is planning to bring out next...££££££$$$$$$ ?

Shampoo and conditioner, perfume and make up etc.? anything to stick her name on and rake in the money.

As for her own dry looking complexion..........:mysmilie_11:

I think she may branch out & design a set of jewellery, she will call it a parure. It will consist of earrings & pendant in eeek & will have a faux yellow diamond sun :sun:with a faux ruby diagonal line across it, a bit like a no entry sign. A permanent reminder of the need for once a day protection from the sun :cool:

I think she may branch out & design a set of jewellery, she will call it a parure. It will consist of earrings & pendant in eeek & will have a faux yellow diamond sun :sun:with a faux ruby diagonal line across it, a bit like a no entry sign. A permanent reminder of the need for once a day protection from the sun :cool:

You should have copyrighted that. In a few weeks your sun sign statement earrings will appear.

Here's a a classic song that doesn't sum her up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M36OGCfYp3A

And here's one that does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcjpags7JT8

Is there a particular reason why Ali Young is done up like Baby Jane at a funeral today?

Oh don’t ! I watched that film on late-night telly a few months ago and I was terrified ! Completely off-topic but what a fab film, so clever, well made and well-acted.

Candy, I have used Elemis throat & decollete balm, and I have noticed a difference. Initially it was a 30ml tube in one of the 'collections', and tried it half heartedly but in the end I was scraping every last bit from the tube, so was glad that there is 100ml tube now available.

Thank you for that. I have tried Elemis before and didn't think I saw much difference for the price I paid. However, I recently bought a product from Amazon at £27, no fancy packaging or p and p but very good reviews. I have been using it for nearly a week and I have to say I think it's actually working as even my fairly deep necklace lines are diminishing. I will road test it for another week and see if the results are real and not just me wanting it to work. I'm quite excited about it as I really have tried just about everything.

CC

I wonder what annoying white coated Professor Cleeve is planning to bring out next...££££££$$$$$$ ?

Shampoo and conditioner, perfume and make up etc.? anything to stick her name on and rake in the money.

As for her own dry looking complexion..........:mysmilie_11:

Who knows what Ms Cleeve has up her sleeve? You can expect anything from that silly bint! One thing I GUARANTEE you, is that whatever product she brings, just like one of her legs, it will PALE in comparison!

I reckon it will be a 'chiffusion' line in blouses, which tend to put in an appearance when she's flogging her gloop. And anyway, who's to say it isn't her Ultrasun that's repackaged with a bit of perfume thrown in ?

Here are Skinsense's replies to my questions! They seem very anodyne to me:

Dear Julius,

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding our TSV on QVC this week. We have answered each of your questions below.

Why during the TSV presentation on QVC was the word "women" spelled incorrectly on your presentation?

We also noticed the grammatical mistake in the VT used in today’s presentations. Unfortunately, it was too late on that occasion to rectify before the show started, but rest assured our team will be making the necessary amendments before it next goes to air.

How were we supposed to read the information on a study of 33 women when it was only shown on screen for about 1 second?

As well as appearing on screen, both Abi and the QVC presenters read out the results from the study. The videos are also available to view in their entirety at your leisure on the QVC website. A presentation has to be adapted to the amount of air time available.

You claim to advocate the use of SPF against the sun's harmful rays. Why is there no SPF in your Skinsense products?

Abi and our development team have made the conscious decision not to include SPF in any skinSense products. This is because sun protection is not just about SPF but is about high level, broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection. Ideally customers should have a dedicated sun protection product as part of their daily skincare routine, not relying solely on the SPF in day creams or foundations. skinSense gives you high performance anti-ageing skincare and leaves UVA, UVB and Infrared A protection to the sun care professionals.

During today's TSV presentation on QVC why did you use the Press Association logo and made reference to their prestige in a way that strongly hinted the Press Association had endorsed your products when in fact they did not, and do not endorse them?

The purpose of occasionally referring to media articles during a show is purely to accompany the presentation and give the customer a summary of conversations related to SkinSense in the wider market, and this is always the context on air in which these references are made. It was a reference to an article that had reviewed skinSense favourably and certainly the intention is never and was not an explicit inference that an individual writer or publication had endorsed the brand. The permission to use the writer and publication’s name had been sought prior to the show and the quote had been approved by QVC’s legal compliance team.

Is it not a fact that a PA journalist or writer merely included mention of your products as part of a listicle about "10 products of a certain type"in 2017?

As above.

What clinical, scientific studies have been done to prove the effectiveness of your products?

skinSense products were tested by a group of 33 women, aged 40-70+. The women used the products twice daily over a period of 4 weeks. At the end of the study the women were asked to complete a questionnaire in order to assess their experience and perceived results. The study was conducted by an independent body.

How does hexylresorcinal (an antiseptic used in throat lozenges) benefit the skin? What clinical, scientific studies have been done to prove its effectiveness, and where can we read the research in full?

Hexylresorcinol is an ingredient widely recognised in the cosmetic industry for it’s pigmentation lightening and complexion evening benefits, and has been used topically in the cosmetic and pharmaceutical industry for over 80 years. There are studies available from both the manufacturers of Hexylresorcinol products and also published academic papers which outline the significant improvement in skin clarity and pigmentation when used continually for several weeks.

What clinical, scientific studies have done to prove the effectiveness of "Linefill," and where can we read the research in full?

There are both clinical studies (In Vivo and In Vitro) and perception studies available which outline the efficacy of sesame oil derived ingredients, including Linefill™, in topical anti-ageing skincare products. These are available from the manufacturers of such ingredients.

What clinical, scientific studies have done to prove the effectiveness of "Juvinity," and where can we read the research in full?

There are both clinical studies (In Vivo and In Vitro) and perception studies available which outline the efficacy of Juvinity™ in topical anti-ageing skincare products. These are available from the manufacturers of such ingredients.

Why were you strongly suggesting that lamellar technology is new when in fact lamellar and liposomal technology made its mass-market début in 1987 in the L'Oréal Plénitude range of face creams?

During our on air presentations it is not suggested that lamellar technology is brand new to the market, but that it is a highly effective, advanced technology which is rarely used in anti-ageing skincare – thus setting skinSense apart from other brands both on QVC and on the wider skincare market.

We do hope that you find this helpful, but should you have any more questions we are more than happy to discuss further.

Kind Regards,

The skinSense Team

["I]skinSense products were tested by a group of 33 women, aged 40-70+. The women used the products twice daily over a period of 4 weeks. At the end of the study the women were asked to complete a questionnaire in order to assess their experience and perceived results. The study was conducted by an independent body."[/I"

]Personally, I don't think that 33 people (weirdly odd number !) using the product for just a month, is sufficient to give authentic long term results. Presumably if they didn't come out in a rash or spots, it would be ok !

The fact that the ingredients are 'widely used in the cosmetic industry' only goes to show that regardless of brand, the same stuff is used in all the tubes and jars that we buy, so one is no different from another - we now have it in writing !!!

["I]skinSense products were tested by a group of 33 women, aged 40-70+. The women used the products twice daily over a period of 4 weeks. At the end of the study the women were asked to complete a questionnaire in order to assess their experience and perceived results. The study was conducted by an independent body."[/I"

]Personally, I don't think that 33 people (weirdly odd number !) using the product for just a month, is sufficient to give authentic long term results. Presumably if they didn't come out in a rash or spots, it would be ok !

The fact that the ingredients are 'widely used in the cosmetic industry' only goes to show that regardless of brand, the same stuff is used in all the tubes and jars that we buy, so one is no different from another - we now have it in writing !!!

We certainly do. I don't suppose she was ever going to admit: "We don't put SPF in Skinsense because it would kill Ultrasun stone dead, and in fact I want you all to buy both ranges!" If you think about it, if Ultrasun uses lamellar or similar technology to enable its (claimed) "all day protection," it must surely be possible to shove that into her Skinsense range, innit?

As for her answer on the whole Press Association "endorsement" hints, this is nonsense. On the presentation she was really going for it and strongly hinting that the fact the PA had mentioned her product line was really something. She was crowing about it for all she was worth in a bid to make her product range look credible. I noted the times and the ASA will be reviewing the footage!

By the way, here's some information on the range of creams which utilised such technology back in the 1980s for a very affordable price:

https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-8066363.html

https://www.slideshare.net/AlexDeckard/loreal-plenitude-case-study-1995

Last edited:
So now we know that her product range is not innovative and is not backed by any significant / longer-term research, and that there have been comparable products available affordably in the DHS for 30+ years! I rest my case.

Last edited:
I used that cream years ago along with oil of ulay and various others. They appeared to work wonders or was that because I was in my 20s then and I looked youthful because I was youthful! Now I am much older and guess what, my skin is ageing and guesss what, I don't like it. There's no such thing as the fountain of youth but every time a new brand comes out we throw money at it, believe the hype that "this one's different" and then are disappointed. I have once or twice found a wonder product only to find it has been discontinued when I try to buy it again. Why is that? Do companies discontinue products that work just so that you will keep buying and keep buying to try and find the holy grail of skincare? At least you can get your money back with QVC but I won't be buying this brand again.

Skin Sense's answers to your questions Julius were very interesting.

CC

What I get from their answer is, if you're not paying for Ultrasun they you ain't getting it for free in their skin care. BareMinerals and many other skin care products put SPF in their make-up and skin care, broad spectrum or otherwise, after all, some is better than none, so if I had little respect for them in the first place (which I didn't) it's totally none existent now.

Whenever I watch Abi Cleeve, I get the impression that if the product makes money then it is a bonus, as the real aim is getting her face on tv as much as possible.

Whenever I watch Abi Cleeve, I get the impression that if the product makes money then it is a bonus, as the real aim is getting her face on tv as much as possible.

Her harsh face, softened ever so slightly by a bit of chiffon tied round her neck. It's about as effective as tying a ribbon around a concrete tower block.

I've often wondered how difficult/easy it is to start producing a brand of skincare.

Re-iterating the above, is there a central 'gloop' manufacturing depot/warehouse in Hackney or Middle Wallop, where I could pitch up with my Vistaprint labels and design logo, pick a signature colour scheme from a wall chart, and start flogging it at Fetes, Fayres and pamper nights, before heading for the big time of IW, then stepping up to the next level of QVC !

I could name it "30 dmbg range"

I believe it is very important that people such as A. Cleeve should have their products and claims scrutinised. Never in a million years would you get anyone on QVC asking the sort of questions I put to her. They don't want people to really understand the products, they just want to hint at certain things in the hope that people will buy it. During the first 20 minutes of that TSV presentation A. Cleeve repeated the words "lamellar technology" some 22 times and very glibly skipped over a "study" of the products, which, it turns out, was not particularly authoritative. Mind you, I'd have skipped over it too if I'd noticed a key word on a presentation slide was spelled incorrectly!

Last edited:
I contacted them in April when she claimed that Ultrasun was available on prescription & recommended by dermatologists. My comments were looked at but no action was taken.

They don't get back to you unless you're singing Ultrasun's praises. It irritated my eyes really badly when I tried it and my request for advice was met with stony silence.

They don't get back to you unless you're singing Ultrasun's praises. It irritated my eyes really badly when I tried it and my request for advice was met with stony silence.

GIGI, the normal / face Ultrasun would irritate the eyes, however their mineral eye SPF is excellent. For years I used a Clarins eye SPF (mineral-based) and unfortunately it was discontinued. I searched high and low for a suitable alternative, including looking at Shiseido, and found they all contained aluminium chlorohyrate - which I do not want on my skin. I then found the Ultrasun mineral eye SPF and have to say it is excellent - almost as good as the Clarins I liked for such a long time.

I am not one to sing Ultrasun's praises, however their eye SPF is very good and I thoroughly recommend it.

Latest posts

Back