Skinsense by Abi Cleeves TSV 17/07/18

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

What I get from their answer is, if you're not paying for Ultrasun they you ain't getting it for free in their skin care. BareMinerals and many other skin care products put SPF in their make-up and skin care, broad spectrum or otherwise, after all, some is better than none, so if I had little respect for them in the first place (which I didn't) it's totally none existent now.

Personally can't see the point of SPF 15 or something in a cosmetic or serum. You're not going to get anywhere near SPF 15 as you'd never put the amount of those kind of products on your face that would provide the stated SPF. Much better to use a dedicated SPF product to try to get somewhere near the 2mg per cm squared that the SPF rating is based on. Sprays and mineral dustings of SPF are pretty ineffective too as it's nigh on impossible to apply enough to get the SPF and UVA protection as rated. Cosmetics which include SPF are hardly ever broad spectrum so they don't offer UVA protection (which is what actually mainly does the ageing) they only minimally protect against some UVB.

Personally can't see the point of SPF 15 or something in a cosmetic or serum. You're not going to get anywhere near SPF 15 as you'd never put the amount of those kind of products on your face that would provide the stated SPF. Much better to use a dedicated SPF product to try to get somewhere near the 2mg per cm squared that the SPF rating is based on. Sprays and mineral dustings of SPF are pretty ineffective too as it's nigh on impossible to apply enough to get the SPF and UVA protection as rated. Cosmetics which include SPF are hardly ever broad spectrum so they don't offer UVA protection (which is what actually mainly does the ageing) they only minimally protect against some UVB.

QVC, you are quite right. People don't slather on enough to get the stated level of protection, and even if they do, its protection would be limited to a few hours before becoming markedly reduced. They could make the SPF a 20 or 25 and encapsulate it using the much-vaunted lamellar technology WHICH HAS BEEN AROUND SINCE THE 80s, PEOPLE, and it would be fantastic. As long as people schlap on the equivalent of SPF 15 they will get 94% UVB protection and minimum of 31% UVA protection (more if the UVA star rating is 4* or higher). Also there is much to be said for consistent use of suncare, for it largely the low-level UVA that does the damage, and most people don't apply suncare during the winter.

I personally use an SPF 30 (UVA 5*) all year round.

If people apply a day cream and it's got a bit of SPF in, it's bound to help over time. SPF is the only real anti-ageing cream!!!

The people who can't afford the ridiculously priced teeny, tiny bottles of Ultrasun will no doubt be glad of the protection no matter what the SPF in their make-up or skin care. Ultrasun sold their lip balm in spf 15 for donkeys years, wonder why they did that then if it didn't provide enough protection, and did they tell you at the time that you're wasting your money on an spf product that doesn't work, no? Why am I not surprised. I know the skin on the lips is thinner but still, it needs to stop those pesky UVAs, they sold the item then changed it after years for spf 30. I use Aldi own, a fraction of the price and I've never been burnt, don't bother in Winter and at 53, my skins in pretty good shape if I say so myself, and I use a lip balm spf 30 for 99p from my chemist.

The people who can't afford the ridiculously priced teeny, tiny bottles of Ultrasun will no doubt be glad of the protection no matter what the SPF in their make-up or skin care. Ultrasun sold their lip balm in spf 15 for donkeys years, wonder why they did that then if it didn't provide enough protection, and did they tell you at the time that you're wasting your money on an spf product that doesn't work, no? Why am I not surprised.

Yeah Shopper, I also remember when, whilst touting the Ultrasun Face SPF (the one laced with aluminium chlorohydrate) A. Cleeve said that it is an "SPF and beauty product in one" because it contains a bit of ectoin, which doesn't do terribly much). I bet she don't say that no more!

i need the sun no sun lotion for me..i have a chronic vit D deficiency and we have not had any real sunshine for decades

i need the sun no sun lotion for me..i have a chronic vit D deficiency and we have not had any real sunshine for decades

As long as you get your 800 IU's a day or 20ug's you should be OK. I supplement D. I take 10ug/day in summer and 20ug/day in winter - in additional to the D in my multivitamin.

Abi Cleeve wears a white lab coat in some of her promos. Is she trying to suggest by this that she IS a scientist ?

The men in white coats should be taking her away, in my opinion. One pale leg, custard yellow shoes, floaty bits of chiffon, power-touting and hyper-hype. Dreadful!

A. Cleeve is all about hinting at things and selling the sizzle without telling you what's in the sausage.

Latest posts

Back