US Tariff Wars and QVC UK

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

donna255

ShoppingTelly Supporter
Now if anyone has been following the news they will no doubt have heard about Turnip declaring he will be putting a 25% tariff on foreign steel and exports into the US.

On Sky news this morning there was an item it seems about the UK/EU striking back by putting a 25% tariff on US imports. Now, this it would seem will include cosmetics and perfume etc.

So since 99% of the products on QVC are US brands(even if made in China)that will mean Laura Geller, Tarte, IT Cosmetics, Philosophy etc and of course the Antony and Yankee Candles etc will all be 25% more. What you think QVC UK will swallow the extra?:mysmilie_19::mysmilie_19: Won't happen overnight but expect all the US brands now sold on QVC to go up in price

i am going to be honest here i don't need any cosmetics or candles for a long long time. i am decorating my bedroom and my family were helping me clear out stuff. to say i am deeply embarrassed is an understatement.

in the long term what a fiasco we have politically atm

if they are imported direct from China to UK then there will be no extra cost, i don't think they go china/usa/uk as it adds extra delivery cost and wait times

But if they are classed as a US brand they will be included. Laura Geller has her BnB made in Italy but is classed as a US brand, the profits will go to the US, not the Italians.

Its where the goods are imported from not where the company is based i think

As far as I'm aware, the stock goes to QVCUSA (the parent company) and is distributed from them to the other QVCs, that way they can keep track of TSVs, auto deliveries etc. I can't see the QVC customer being prepared to take on the financial burden of any more overheads.

Even my cordless mower (that I am still waiting for) is from the US.

But I have been trying to source a new battery and blade for when they fail, but is nothing available over here, and from the US a battery costs as much as the whole mower.

So in a year or two when the battery fails, it will be useless, so perhaps I'll return it even if it does the job.

In that case, it would be really useless to try to hit back at the US. Turnip is talking Canada just across the border paying, China, the EU, the UK. So these countries by stating they will hit back at the US, but how will that work if all the products are not made in the said countries but made elsewhere? No it will be the parent companies and where they are registered. Otherwise only things like peanut butter would be hit by a tariff, totally ineffective on the point of the rest of the world.

All the more reason to get out there and buy British!!

I think a lot of people would love to buy British but British made anything is a rarity these days. We assemble foreign parts or components into finished items but we don`t actually make them anymore. Manufacturing has almost disappeared from this Country because its cheaper to import the finished items or the ready made parts from China, Vietnam, India or wherever.

That's very true, Vienna, I was thinking more of the 'little luxury' type of items, including some clothing items, furniture, beauty, gifts, candles, home accessories etc. I think these have become more common and there are lots of talented people out there. It still takes some work to buy British, but IMHO it's easier than a few years back.

There are many excellent brands sold in the uk either High St. or online. It will mean that I just won't bother shopping on Q for the stuff mentioned in the original post, which I already think is overpriced anyway, and that includes Yankee as there are much better around. Folks at the end of the day, it is how things are marketed to reach the wider audience, and I think the UK should market quicker and better than they do, and we are not as gullible as the American shopper. I know this because I lived and worked there for a while, and have never come across more shallow and gullible people anywhere else in the world.

Nuff said.

to make britain the workshop of the world which is was once would take great political initiative and dare i say it a massive injection of funds to enable people to learn trades again. i have german family and friends and they take learning a trade very seriously. thats whats made german goods very sought after. and some of the best in the world

My late first hubby who would now be over 70 if he`d lived learned his trade from the age of 15. He was a carpenter and his apprenticeship was a full 5 years, his foreman wore a bowler hat, tweed jacket and a white apron and they had to call him Sir. The carpenters shop where hubby served his time made everything by hand, even solid oak coffins and the workmanship my husband could do was phenomenal, he even hand built our kitchen from solid oak.
Fast forward many years and he went back to college and trained to become a site Manager, in charge of new house building schemes. Like many companies the firm he worked for employed many self employed tradesman and I lost count of the times my husband had so called joiners, bricklayers and other so called tradesman come on site and do a really poor quality job. Few of them had served proper apprenticeships, most had done a couple of years at College so called learning to lay bricks or whatever and they were churned out at the other end with an NVQ and no experience and told thats it, you`re now a qualified X, Y or Z.
In the end my husband became so frustrated with the poor quality of workmanship and the cost cutting in materials etc that he left and went working for a company who renovated listed buildings such as Churches, Stately homes etc and real craftsman were employed and as if to show the lack of new craftsman coming through, not one person who hubby worked alongside was under the age of 50 and all of their skills were in grave danger of dying with them, the same as it died when my husband passed away.

When you look at the high regard of becoming an apprentice and learning a craft - the countries I look at would be Germany and Japan. In both places there is a recognition that you need time to become genuinely skilled. I'm sure there are other countries where apprenticeships are valued, and those who pass on their skills and those learning them are held in high regard.

When everything is "how quick can you do it?" you are not going to get the best. Fine if you don't care about something lasting, but that has it's own cost (at best, buying again sooner than you would have expected).

Tariffs are payable based on 'rules of origin'.

The country of dispatch is not relevant - as that would make fraud too easy just simply by transiting another country. Also the nationality of the owner of the goods is not used either (again as that would be open to abuse by using a middle man).

The actual product (and its parts) are used to determine if it is liable to a tariff and the rules can be complicated if a product is a sum of parts from a number of territories.

In that case, it would be really useless to try to hit back at the US. Turnip is talking Canada just across the border paying, China, the EU, the UK. So these countries by stating they will hit back at the US, but how will that work if all the products are not made in the said countries but made elsewhere? No it will be the parent companies and where they are registered. Otherwise only things like peanut butter would be hit by a tariff, totally ineffective on the point of the rest of the world.

You've got to give him credit for doing what Americans voted for - fighting for his own people's interests first. I wish we had leaders that would do that here. Remember too that Canada already has massive tarrifs against the US (270% on dairy, for example), so in a yah-boo-sucks kind of way Trump didn't start it.

Oh yes, he really looks after the Amercian people, if of course, they are rich. Trying so hard to get rid of the Obama care so the poor cannot get cheap health care. They are now trying to get a high court judge in(last one retired), so no sexual health care for women and gay marriage bill over turned.

As for Canada good for them. They have a deal with Northern Ireland for aircraft parts, Boeing tried to stop it with high tariffs which meant hundreds of people in Northern Ireland would lose jobs. What did Boeing do in the end signed a deal with Canada and the UK so no high tariffs and no jobs lost they get parts made in Northen Ireland. May thought Turnip would play nice as the US and the UK are friends. No, he just stood back and let a multi-million company trample over a small company making parts, not the whole aircraft.

Latest posts

Back