Christmas with Alison Cork TSV 25/07/18

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

it is Christmas in july which gets more popular every year

Many awful and / or mediocre things are popular. Popular does not necessarily equal good. McDonalds is popular. Mr Kipling apple pies are popular. Reality TV is popular Putting stupidity on a pedestal is popular. Christmas falls on 25th December and making a meal out of it in July is nothing short of f***ing STUPID. Whatever next? Easter in September? May Day in August?

Christmas in July is QVC's marketing ploy / way of clearing out all the Thomas Pacconi / cheap Chinese crap they couldn't shift last December, and making people feel smug that they've got one over on other people 'cos they're way ahead of the game. In reality they are nothing more than gullible IDIOTS!

Even if Q sold anything suitable for family Christmas gifts ( which they don`t ) then on principle I wouldn`t buy in July. Christmas is commercialized enough without overpriced tat being wheeled out when many people haven`t even had their Summer holiday. They will bang on about Christmas for months and try to whip up a feeding frenzy of buying. Well it won`t work on me !

Ah Julius, if only they DID have some Thomas Pacconi but they don't seem to sell such gems any more, nor the wonderful Mr Christmas musical boxes they used to do. Now it's endless projected lights onto the front of your house or other mindless tat. Bring back Billy the singing bass or whatever he was and the movement activated singing Christmas tree he he he he he.

CC (only a semi-gullible idiot)

Even if Q sold anything suitable for family Christmas gifts ( which they don`t ) then on principle I wouldn`t buy in July. Christmas is commercialized enough without overpriced tat being wheeled out when many people haven`t even had their Summer holiday. They will bang on about Christmas for months and try to whip up a feeding frenzy of buying. Well it won`t work on me !

We are obviously in the minority?Really?

Well I hope this 90 degrees in the shade weather continues. They will look proper charlies in their Christmas jumpers against a background of snowy trees and enormous wrapped gifts.

There are photos in our local paper of the roads actually melting with the heat, why do we want Christmas shoved at us in the middle of Summer?

Even a few months ago, some presenters were telling us to buy beauty tsvs and put them away for Christmas. :mysmilie_51:

There is enough stress for some people around that time of year, so stop extending it to all year round Qvc!

Ah Julius, if only they DID have some Thomas Pacconi but they don't seem to sell such gems any more, nor the wonderful Mr Christmas musical boxes they used to do. Now it's endless projected lights onto the front of your house or other mindless tat. Bring back Billy the singing bass or whatever he was and the movement activated singing Christmas tree he he he he he.

I've just looked up Billy the Singing Bass and can't stop laughing! OMG that's terrible! LOL! Did they really sell those?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ozbX-yM8ao

Last edited:
I read an article once which said when the Royals gather for Christmas they only buy cheap and cheerful Christmas gifts for each other and the Queen, the funnier the better. It said one of the Queen`s favorite gifts was a Big Mouth Billy Bass which was given to her several years ago by Princess Anne. No idea if it`s true or not but if it is then at least Queenie found the singing fish funny !

They sold a musical box that was a 1930s shop, probably a toy shop, & it was beautiful. I always said I'd buy it & Mr T would roll his eyes & ask if I really needed any more decorations. I never did buy one & occasionally I look for it on eBay. Now it's all samey-samey.

Yes, some of the xmas deccys were pretty decent decades ago. Thomas Bacconi didn't only sell ornaments for Christmas, as I have a lovely big storage box with hinged lid and tray insert that I bought at least 14 years ago, and still looks great. No doubt Gill Gaunt will be on overtime flogging her battery lights that she's 'got at home', and Alison Cork will currently be in China ordering thousands of glittery antler horns !

Yes, some of the xmas deccys were pretty decent decades ago. Thomas Bacconi didn't only sell ornaments for Christmas, as I have a lovely big storage box with hinged lid and tray insert that I bought at least 14 years ago, and still looks great. No doubt Gill Gaunt will be on overtime flogging her battery lights that she's 'got at home', and Alison Cork will currently be in China ordering thousands of glittery antler horns !

I remember the nativity scenes etc which were alright, I suppose. Some of the figures seemed glued on with giant beads of glue.

I read an article once which said when the Royals gather for Christmas they only buy cheap and cheerful Christmas gifts for each other and the Queen, the funnier the better. It said one of the Queen`s favorite gifts was a Big Mouth Billy Bass which was given to her several years ago by Princess Anne. No idea if it`s true or not but if it is then at least Queenie found the singing fish funny !

Someone posted about that fish on another thread earlier. I looked it up on Youtube and thought it was very awful / brilliant. I saw one on Ebay going for a crazy price. Such an unusual article!

As much as I enjoy Christmas, I cannot bear to start my Christmas shopping while we have this glorious summer weather.

i do christmas shopping all year round it makes it so much easier & better

It's usually my way to be scathing about such things, but that's only when I see it from my own perspective. I've nobody to buy anything for. I'm sure if I had any family I might think differently. Personally Christmas in July just reminds me of that impending dark period at the end of the year when I feel trapped by all the tacky, tawdry tinsel and fake sentiment. I was driving a friend of mine, Emmanuel with his son and he was talking about the "Three Wise Men" who apparently visited the baby Jesus, bearing gifts of frankincense, gold and myrrh. So wise were they that they bought a baby some things it didn't really need at all. I mean, what does a baby need frankincense for?! Or Myrrh? Can't see a huge point in gold, either. One would be better reading Hans Christian Anderson.

Latest posts

Back