Today's audience

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Its generally accepted that the QVC viewer is more likely to be of a more mature age than not. When I started watching in 2003 (just after my husband died) I was 54, and clearly have watched on and off for the past 15 years.

I'm now wondering how much life QVC has got left in it, because younger audiences will have grown up with more competitive online shopping - almost non existent to me 15 years ago, so I believe that once their current core audience get older and have fewer needs so spend less, plus the lack of an upcoming younger audience, it will be the death knell of QVC. In fashion few of the stylists are over 40, and some of the presenters are attempting to regain their youth in attempts to capture the 'yoof' market, but I think they're on a hiding for nothing.

The consistently repeated products on offer, which is a clear indication that no fresh vendors are coming to the market place, only re-inforces my beliefs.

They have been pushing the high-end brands and Z Celebs trying to attract a new audience for a few years. Certain beauty brands which are loved by the 20 somethings like Benefit, but the outrage on their Facebook page when they find out how long they have to wait and the shipping costs.

They seem to be relying more on more on the Easy Pay options & I only order TSVs that are good value with items I really want like the recent Bare Minerals.There is also the option of returning something but that costs with the postage charges.I never order any so called fashion mainly because of the styling but it is too expensive to give something a try.That old chestnut of p&p costs is the major letdown.I have recently ordered from Allbeauty (items also available from QVC)10% discount & free p&p, 4 tops from M&S which I will collect on Friday, money off & can easily return for free if not suitable.Markets are tough & shoppers more savvy QVCwill have to do some serious thinking to survive.

EP is available with most catalogues online, and only one p&p regardless of how large the order. Also many returns are free. One item via QVC if not required can cost upwards of £8 for receiving and returning.

the wages they pay to celebrities must be crippling they could charge less with more cheaper presenters. sometimes there are 5 people inc models selling an item

An erudite summing up brissles. I feel like putting my thumbs under my camisole straps (no vests for me) & saying M'lud. I don't like watching something wither & die but the Q doesn't help itself - last week the main page of the website had photos of festival fashion, I ask you!

EP is available with most catalogues online, and only one p&p regardless of how large the order. Also many returns are free. One item via QVC if not required can cost upwards of £8 for receiving and returning.

I like ASOS for fashion. They also have Klarna which a lot of people use. I personally don't need Klarna but it is a good service.

I agree brissles I've always said the same, to the new breed of shoppers that have grew up with the world of shopping at their finger tips, QVC must seem like the Jurassic era. Twenty five years ago it was all fresh and new and exciting shopping on the telly, but as the competition grew a million fold, QVC have failed to evolve, which as we know will be the end of them. There's only so long the customer can carry their expensive overheads for. You can tell the customer base is dropping by the promotions they're running, letting staff go, stopping the morning show comp and dropping air time and CS times, yes I'm afraid the cracks are most definitely starting to show, and still they refuse to evolve, no capped postage or free returns that's probably why Ideal World customer base is getting stronger as QVCs is getting weaker, ah well, its not like they've never been warned.

I agree brissles I've always said the same, to the new breed of shoppers that have grew up with the world of shopping at their finger tips, QVC must seem like the Jurassic era. Twenty five years ago it was all fresh and new and exciting shopping on the telly, but as the competition grew a million fold, QVC have failed to evolve, which as we know will be the end of them. There's only so long the customer can carry their expensive overheads for. You can tell the customer base is dropping by the promotions they're running, letting staff go, stopping the morning show comp and dropping air time and CS times, yes I'm afraid the cracks are most definitely starting to show, and still they refuse to evolve, no capped postage or free returns that's probably why Ideal World customer base is getting stronger as QVCs is getting weaker, ah well, its not like they've never been warned.

Plus there's the obvious issue with them only being able to demo one item on screen at any one time. I know they've a multitude of channels but that doesn't help the situation terribly much. I know they have a (not bad) website and an app, however the brand has seemingly failed to be taken up by the younger generations in required numbers. It would be interesting to see their media pack.

the wages they pay to celebrities must be crippling they could charge less with more cheaper presenters. sometimes there are 5 people inc models selling an item

I dread to think how much is wasted on presenter salaries. They seem to enjoy what they would like us to believe are “enviable” lifestyles judging by their showing off on screen and via blogs, twitter etc. Are their salaries really worth it? The majority cause me to switch channel. Any new ones brought in very soon adopt the styles and mannerisms of the old ones and what is it with that stupid over the top false laughter. If we walked into a shop and the staff kept roaring with laughter at regular intervals most people would leave.

Evie, I should imagine they have Agents who agree a contracted fee for their hours worked. What IS noticeable is that rarely do the presenters leave, - why ? perhaps the 'sweeteners and perks' are an added bonus to their fees - i.e. taking products home on the premise 'they are product testing' which of course never get returned, so who wouldn't want a job where homes are kitted out with all manner of goodies / bedding / fashion / beauty / gardening /kitchenware etc etc etc

Craig is always saying what he has 'at home', so I guess he hasn't seen the inside of a shop since he started working on QVC.

Evie, I should imagine they have Agents who agree a contracted fee for their hours worked. What IS noticeable is that rarely do the presenters leave, - why ? perhaps the 'sweeteners and perks' are an added bonus to their fees - i.e. taking products home on the premise 'they are product testing' which of course never get returned, so who wouldn't want a job where homes are kitted out with all manner of goodies / bedding / fashion / beauty / gardening /kitchenware etc etc etc

Craig is always saying what he has 'at home', so I guess he hasn't seen the inside of a shop since he started working on QVC.

I would love to know what they earn.

It's customers who pay for everything, from adverts to all the presenters freebies, that's another reason it made me close my account after twenty years almost five years ago, I begrudged paying for Fibby Flints Vitamix and Simon Dairylees Gtech, and all of Alison Youngs freebie beauty products.

I wonder what all their houses look like, and whether they are stuffed to the rafters with eye creams, vacuum cleaners, food mixers and fab gadgets. I saw Jackie Kabler's pad in a magazine once and I have to say it looked amazing. I think they should do "QVC cribs" or perhaps a QVC equivalent of: "Through the Keyhole." They never seem to tire of talking about themselves and this would give them the ultimate opportunity to showcase their lifestyle as well as a whole load of QVC products.

I would love it if it all went wrong and Jill Franks opened her bathroom cabinet to reveal a whole heap of Superdrug products and Alberto Balsam shampoo! I'm quite sure, however, that the stylists and stagers would go to great lengths to plant heaps of Philip Kingsley products and umpteen Yankee candles and plenty of other QVC staples in the mise-en-scene.

I wonder what all their houses look like, and whether they are stuffed to the rafters with eye creams, vacuum cleaners, food mixers and fab gadgets. I saw Jackie Kabler's pad in a magazine once and I have to say it looked amazing. I think they should do "QVC cribs" or perhaps a QVC equivalent of: "Through the Keyhole." They never seem to tire of talking about themselves and this would give them the ultimate opportunity to showcase their lifestyle as well as a whole load of QVC products.

I would love it if it all went wrong and Jill Franks opened her bathroom cabinet to reveal a whole heap of Superdrug products and Alberto Balsam shampoo! I'm quite sure, however, that the stylists and stagers would go to great lengths to plant heaps of Philip Kingsley products and umpteen Yankee candles and plenty of other QVC staples in the mise-en-scene.

Hosted by Keith Lemon, TV gold!!!!

SUPERDRUG????? in Franks' home ?? does she even know it exists ? and she probably believes that Alberto Balsam is another Italian shoe designer that's passed her by.