Mosquito help!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julius

Registered Shopper
Does anyone know of any device from QVC or anywhere that actually repels / kills mosquitoes? I hate these wretched things and seem to get several of them coming into my flat each night. My arms were bitten and I reacted very badly to it, with painful swelling and blotchy lumps on my skin.

I've looked online and see ultrasonic repellers and other things with little glass bottles of liquid. I've also seen those blue light things that zap flies - which I also hate. There are also ultrasonic products too - but I'm very sceptical of those. I am only interested in products that really work - and I hate the smell of citronella - so it can't contain that. It actually makes me feel ill. Please help. These insects are driving me mad and it's playing on my mind. I can't sleep for fear of these ****** horrible things biting me. I am thinking of a plug-in device but it could also be a candle - anything so long as it works. I can't not have my window open or it gets to 36c in here.

I don't mind buying several devices to attack them in different ways. I will zap them, poison them, sedate them, splat them, repel them - whatever it takes. I'm actually getting near the end of my tether. I ******* HATE these awful insects. I just wish they would leave me alone. I figured that a lot of people on this forum will have conservatories etc or may have tried different products, either here or on holiday.

I've bought a Jungle Formula repellent roll-on which contains DEET but don't want to use this too much if I can help it.

Thank you all for any guidance you can offer.

Last edited:
Avon’s Skin So Soft dry oil spray, smells pleasant (unlike many repellents) and is surprisingly effective at deterring mosquitoes and midges. The RM Commandos swear by it.

i went to jamaica a few months ago and i used an insect repellant from holland and barnet based on essential oils worked very well. they may have something you can burn in it

Mosquito nets at the window. I react alot too and use DEET nothing else works I have tried everything in the past. Savers,the shop, have got a plug in thingy for £1.99.

another thing is when on holiday i used scent free shower gel and body lotions as these attract mozzies its a pain but worth it

Mosquito nets at the window. I react alot too and use DEET nothing else works I have tried everything in the past. Savers,the shop, have got a plug in thingy for £1.99.

Thank you so much. I'm going to Savers this afternoon as my vitamins have nearly run out. I didn't realise they'd have anything like that - but then I only ever seem to go there in a hurry and get my vitamins

I walk my dog over moor land and all kinds of insects especially horse flies seem to think I`m their all day banquet, it was the same when I holiday abroad. Anyway I found a brand of insect repellent called Incognito and it is marvelous and doesn`t contain deet.
https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/search?query=incognito&isSearch=true

Thanks, Vienna. I'll give that a try. I bought the Jungle Formula one which contains DEET and it does seem to help, however I've read some not-so-good things about DEET. Besides, I live in North London, not in a jungle.

I'll go to Savers, get the plug-in thing, then to H&B and see if I can get the incognito.

I like the idea of nets at the window, however I don't know if I'd get them to fit my window. I've got one window on the right that opens outward, like a door, and then there's a long, thin window at the top that opens outwards and upwards.

Sometimes I draw the curtains and tuck them in behind a pile of heavy books to form a shield of sorts - which seems to help but somehow these things still keep coming in. I didn't actually wake up until midday today as I couldn't get to sleep until 5am, worrying about those damn things.

I think what I hate most about these mosquitoes is just how virulent they are. I know people don't like spiders much - but at least spiders tend to leave you alone. If anything, they help by eating flies and such things.

Thanks, Vienna. I'll give that a try. I bought the Jungle Formula one which contains DEET and it does seem to help, however I've read some not-so-good things about DEET. Besides, I live in North London, not in a jungle.

I'll go to Savers, get the plug-in thing, then to H&B and see if I can get the incognito.

What area of N. London? I only ask because I worked there for a while myself, and went sailing on the "Welsh Harp" Brent reservoir.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074L6PR5Y/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

Dont know if the link works but my husband suffers terribly with mozzies and the like-used to wake up like he had measles!
This is fabulous-fits under the mattress and zips for in and out.
No more bites overnight!!! (and its portable fits in a suitcase)

Great idea! I'll definitely try that in conjunction with the other things. When I went to Nigeria they had similar things but I'd completely forgotten about them until now.

Went to Savers, they said they sold out of the plug in mosquito repeller / killer devices within 2 hours of putting them on the shelves! Apparently lots of people in the area have been having the similar issues to me. They checked out the back however they only had one (damaged) pack of refills, however these weren't of much use to me without the device in which to put them.

I did manage to get the excellent Anthisan bite cream there for £1.99 (half the Asda price) as well as 220-day supply of multivitamins and minerals for £4.99. They said they may have more stock coming in on Monday, however I'll be at work then. I went on Amazon and found the Xpel plug-in device for £7.99 so I bought that. I might go back to Savers and buy the refills if they are compatible. I'm hoping the device will arrive soon.

I'm going to look into the other products - another one of those ****** things flew past me just now - and see what I can do. I went to the pound shop and bought 2 spray mist bottles. I thought I could use them for two purposes: 1) To spray down flies / mosquitoes without chemicals and 2) to mist myself and cool down.

People always bang on about how lovely this weather is. I think it's awful. Yes, it gives us strawberries and fruits, but it's also horribly uncomfortable. I can hardly sleep and sometimes I feel like I can't breathe. The spring / autumn is so much nicer.

I bought a few boxes of nets from Aldi last month. They were £3.99 a box. Lakeland sell something similar for about £14.

You get a roll of slimline hook tape that you stick on the frame then cut the net to size - I cut mine a little bigger as the edges get a bit raggedy after I've pulled them off/on a few times to open/close the windows. They look a bit **** but I can't stand getting bitten any more, am allergic to insect repellant and it's too hot to close the windows.

They only have the door screens left on the website at mo but you might be lucky to find some in store. If not, you could always custom fit the door screens.

Latest posts

Back