Teacher's gifts

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
There are many times when QVC are recommending ludicrous items for gifts to give to teachers.

I've just come across this advert on another selling site, where gifts start from £25 with the slogan "That's less than 50P per week".

I hope QVC don't read this, but if you hear them saying the same thing you will know they have.

QUOTE: With School Holidays Fast Approaching Reward The Teachers !!!
Our Very Special Gifts Start From £25 !!!! That’s Less Than 50p Per Week To Say THANKS To Your Childs Teacher For Their Hard Work This Year .... Don’t Forget The Teaching Assistants And Nursery Key Workers. Pm us for detail and ideas

The whole thing is totally ridiculous.A card is enough & I have been in teaching,paid to do a job which you do as a professional to the best of your ability and even beyond.There are millions of people who could be rewarded for doing their job, there is no end.

The pitch is flawed for starters as children don't attend school 52 weeks of the year so they're essentially they need an additional reward for being on holiday too!

my sister teaches and says the amount of stuff she gets means she has to give most of the stuff away

my sister teaches and says the amount of stuff she gets means she has to give most of the stuff away

Don't waste your money, you'd be surprised how many teacher's presents end up in the charity shop!

I was looking at a Facebook page for a cake company who make gift bags as teachers' gifts and someone wanted 6 costing £10 each. There are charities like Mary's Meals who provide school meals in third world countries which are very deserving. I don't have children but I would be tempted to donate to them rather than buy a gift especially if it's a church school that promotes religious values.

I retired recently after 44 years of teaching and I used to get a lot of gifts at Christmas and at the end of the year, BUT a "thank you" was the best present of all.

And if anyone had given me something like QVC suggest, I'd have been mortified.

My daughter in law works as a teaching assistant and she gets embarrassed when people give her gifts at Christmas and year end. One of her colleagues was given a Pandora bracelet by one parent and my DIL received so many chocolates, flowers and candles she ended up giving lots of them away. Not to mention the many photo frames, mugs and other stuff she got.
Yet she kept every card, hand drawn pictures done by the kids themselves and one particular favourite was a toilet roll tube and pipe cleaner handmade model of herself lol.

I retired recently after 44 years of teaching and I used to get a lot of gifts at Christmas and at the end of the year, BUT a "thank you" was the best present of all.

Can you imagine what a classroom of QVC viewers' children would look like? It would be FESTOONED with Peony flaaaaaahs, stacked to the rafters with Yankee candles, Links of London and l'Occitane.

Wishing you an enjoyable and a well earned retirement.I am sure many teachers feel as you, can’t Head Teachers ‘ban’ the practice in their school?

I think it is arguably ungracious not to accept a gift given in good faith. I only feel uncomfortable with it if I suspect the motive for the giving of a gift (N.B: I didn't say "gifting.") is less than genuine or the giver is trying to manipulate me in some way.

Latest posts

Back