The Real Pie Company?? wonder whats happend

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

On the subject of fresh food, I'm old enough to remember only having fresh food when it was in-season. Strawberries were available in the market for no more than 2 or 3 weeks mid summer. Tomatoes and other salad stuff through the summer June - Aug. New potatoes for Easter. Chicken was a treat, presumably they took longer to reach the 'right size' for the butchers shop.

Mum and Dad got a freezer when Bejam's opened up, probably late 60's, but it held frozen peas, big tubs of vanilla ice cream, and those packs of meat that were fashionable at the time.

I think sometimes those olden days must have been so much nicer. I actually love eating things in their natural season. There's nothing nicer than strawberries right now. Those things you get in December have either been flown halfway across the world or they've been grown hydroponically and taste of nothing.

I remember helping my uncle out on what would be the equivalent of an allotment. It was fantastic growing things. In fact sometimes I just wish I could give up everything and live in a little house with a vegetable garden and a piano. I would sit there playing Czerny, Debussy and Bach, and pop out to tend my kitchen garden. I'd love that so much. I wouldn't need a lot of money, just the peace and quiet.

One good thing about living in Edgware is that just down the road we've got Burnt Oak which has the most amazing shops selling all kinds of fruits and vegetables. I absolutely love it.

On the subject of fresh food, I'm old enough to remember only having fresh food when it was in-season. Strawberries were available in the market for no more than 2 or 3 weeks mid summer. Tomatoes and other salad stuff through the summer June - Aug. New potatoes for Easter. Chicken was a treat, presumably they took longer to reach the 'right size' for the butchers shop.

Mum and Dad got a freezer when Bejam's opened up, probably late 60's, but it held frozen peas, big tubs of vanilla ice cream, and those packs of meat that were fashionable at the time.

The world has become homogenised, I think eating strawberries out of season is like celebrating Christmas at the end of February & even though Mr T loves asparagus I won't buy it from Mexico & Peru so that he can eat it in October. It was a wonderful moment when I decided that I'd no longer buy salad vegetables in the winter & would serve apples & pickles with party food instead.

I think sometimes those olden days must have been so much nicer. I actually love eating things in their natural season. There's nothing nicer than strawberries right now. Those things you get in December have either been flown halfway across the world or they've been grown hydroponically and taste of nothing.

I remember helping my uncle out on what would be the equivalent of an allotment. It was fantastic growing things. In fact sometimes I just wish I could give up everything and live in a little house with a vegetable garden and a piano. I would sit there playing Czerny, Debussy and Bach, and pop out to tend my kitchen garden. I'd love that so much. I wouldn't need a lot of money, just the peace and quiet.

One good thing about living in Edgware is that just down the road we've got Burnt Oak which has the most amazing shops selling all kinds of fruits and vegetables. I absolutely love it.

ahh you live near me i'm not far from edgware

Re the.posts upthread, I too came from a home where all meals were cooked from scratch and Dad grew all our own vegetables so that was all we had in our freezer really, and it was ages before we had one of those. No ice cream or anything I might fancy! Sadly my own domestic standards are not so high.

I agree, they used to be so special with just a small amount of butter melting over them but now they are so bland.

I always remember the Jersey Royals being extremely expensive for the first week of the season. They were nice though.

nope jersey royals were sweeter and you did not even need the butter...glorious. you can eat english strawberries specially this year with the glorious summer

On the rare occasions I do eat out, I usually end up very disappointed with the meal I'm offered. Whether standards have dropped over the years I couldn't say, but I often regret spending £20 or so (I live outside London) on a sub standard meal, that I could have cooked better myself.

I'd love to hear the comments on other posters about eating out, and whether its 'just me' !

That's just what me and the husband say. We struggle to find decent places to eat and get fed up of feeling ripped off when we do eat out. So often we both say 'I could have made that better myself at home.' Its annoying because I used to really enjoy a meal out.

Just had a quick look on QVC FB and there's Pat asking about the beauty bash, hiya Pat! :mysmilie_17: but also someone is saying the "not so real" Pie Company was closed because of the queries over the origins of the meat, so once again, QVC do not monitor the health or animal welfare of the food produce they sell to their customers. Tell you what though, I bet the people who bought their pies and praised them are worried now as to what it is they've actually eaten......Green Seasons and Russell whatshisface all over again.

well the pies i had had so little meat that whatever was wrong with the meat would not affect a flea

If anyone is interested in pies to order, I can recommend Pieminister. I recently discovered some in my local co-op reduced section and bought two of the 'Moo' pies. We were so impressed with them, I looked them up online and discovered you can buy them online, so bought 12 assorted pies (you pick your own selection) for the freezer. Happy to report they have been consistently good, with crisp pastry and decent amounts of meaty filling. They also do veggie, gluten free and a vegan one.
https://www.pieminister.co.uk/shop/category/pies/

A few years ago there was a trend of pie shops springing up in cities over the UK. It seems this trend was quite short-lived, particularly in Brighton where Mr Daly's and Pie Society closed very quickly.

If anyone is interested in pies to order, I can recommend Pieminister. I recently discovered some in my local co-op reduced section and bought two of the 'Moo' pies. We were so impressed with them, I looked them up online and discovered you can buy them online, so bought 12 assorted pies (you pick your own selection) for the freezer. Happy to report they have been consistently good, with crisp pastry and decent amounts of meaty filling. They also do veggie, gluten free and a vegan one.

i have seen these in waitress i will try some next time

Is it me, or does anyone else think that Jersey Royals have no flavour these days?

Thank you. I thought it was me. I always looked forward to them every year, but the past few years they've lost that 'earthy' flavour that was always associated with them. What's happened I wonder, I didn't think they could be messed about with.

I'm not a 'bad' cook, but after a couple of rubbish efforts at making Lasagne I gave up to buy the ready to eat stuff. My go to choice was either M & S or Waitrose, but now I've discovered that Charlie Bighams is the best of the lot. Not cheap, but then buying cheap I've found is buying rubbish, so this brand I highly recommend.

I'm not a 'bad' cook, but after a couple of rubbish efforts at making Lasagne I gave up to buy the ready to eat stuff. My go to choice was either M & S or Waitrose, but now I've discovered that Charlie Bighams is the best of the lot. Not cheap, but then buying cheap I've found is buying rubbish, so this brand I highly recommend.

I make my own vegetarian lasagnes as I cannot bear eggs. I've developed a new recipe using goat cheese and it's rather delicious.

Would also highly recommend these - I was diagnosed coeliac a few years ago and alas my pie-making ability has not been the same since so the gf versions of these are almost like I remember!

Would also highly recommend these - I was diagnosed coeliac a few years ago and alas my pie-making ability has not been the same since so the gf versions of these are almost like I remember!

I'm sorry about the coeliac diagnosis, Tarketta. They thought I had that as I kept getting really bad mouth ulcers, but apparently I don't have it. I was worried as I thought I'd never be able to eat biscuits again, well ordinary ones. The GF ones in Asda seem very expensive. £3 for a micropack of custard creams doesn't seem a good deal to me.

I'm not sure I understand why the CO2 shortage would be an issue for making pies. The only CO2 I've used whilst making pies is through my normal breathing - which I'd do whatever I did.

Latest posts

Back