The Real Pie Company?? wonder whats happend

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm sorry about the coeliac diagnosis, Tarketta. They thought I had that as I kept getting really bad mouth ulcers, but apparently I don't have it. I was worried as I thought I'd never be able to eat biscuits again, well ordinary ones. The GF ones in Asda seem very expensive. £3 for a micropack of custard creams doesn't seem a good deal to me.

I'm not sure I understand why the CO2 shortage would be an issue for making pies. The only CO2 I've used whilst making pies is through my normal breathing - which I'd do whatever I did.

Thanks Julius - I miss custard creams so much, always my biccy of choice and the gf ones are like compacted dust :(

Thanks Julius - I miss custard creams so much, always my biccy of choice and the gf ones are like compacted dust :(

I know exactly what you mean. Whilst I was waiting for my test results I went GF for 2 weeks. I still had the same digestive issues and mouth ulcers, and the tests came back negative. I think the biscuits were made with cornflour or something. Didn't like them. I did get GF oats for my porridge, and I discovered Trek bars are GF as well so I ate those - and they were OK. The Trek bars were the only GF products I found at a normal price. Everything else seemed super expensive. I don't know how they expect people to afford them.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/...cocoa-chaos-wholefood-energy-bar/910001789773

If you haven't tried these Trek bars you might like them (they contain nuts). They do them in berry, chocolate and peanut variants. Personally I like the berry. They also do GF oat flapjacks in normal, berry, choc and coconut.

Anybody have anymore news on this? The website is down now as well, with just a placeholder page saying they are revamping the site, and "cooking up pies"

Sounds like there is a real problem to me, not just suppliers either. Anyone ordered recently but didn't get theirs?

CC

Q said the following on the FB page

"we just wanted to let you know that we are not currently able to offer products from The Real Pie Company here at QVCUK. The Real Pie Company have advised the current supply issue is not due to any quality concerns, and we hope the range will be available on QVC again soon

Hmm, the plot thickens it would seem. Search for Real pie Company on Google now and it’s coming up as “permanently closed” as per this screen shot. F04C95CE-6C04-47D8-A6AA-EC9E8D5B27BE.jpg

intresting but google isnt always right when it comes to those things

No, but it usually is. I went to my favourite restaurant, Delisserie, in Borehamwood, only to find it had permanently closed :( I frequented that place for years.

As for those pie-making people, they're probably lying. Either they gone bust or they've been caught cooking up pies in some squalid hovel. CO2 shortage had NOTHING to do with it.

Last edited:
Anybody have anymore news on this? The website is down now as well, with just a placeholder page saying they are revamping the site, and "cooking up pies"

That's not quite what it says, Retro. The actual text reads as follows:-

"Summer Break
The Real Pie Company is taking a quick summer break while it’s so hot to refresh our website.
we are also busy in the kitchen whipping up some amazing new pies!
Watch this space we will be back before you know it."

So they're taking a break while it's so hot...yet they're in the kitchen making pies? If I wanted to escape the heat, the last thing I'd do would be cooking pies - unless they're not actually baking them, but merely creating new recipes....hmmmm

So I telephoned them on: 01293 550977. A voicemail answered saying that they are experiencing some supply problems and are unable to fulfil any orders at present. I left a voicemail asking them to telephone me and explain further as this all seems rather odd.

I would imagine the problem is financial. It could be they have breached their credit terms with their suppliers and they're no longer receiving the goods. If this is the case, it's downright untruthful to show that message on their website saying that they're in the kitchen making pies.

Anyway, that's one step closer to the truth.

Last edited:
Christine Cossins doesn't appear to have any insolvencies /bankruptcy / IVA applications pending. The Real Pie Co status, as has been mentioned, shows as active. They dissolved in 2008 then reformed. They do have mortgage charges. Can't see their accounts as they are exempt from submission due to their relatively small turnover. My guess is they've got some moderate credit issues.

It seems there is another company somewhere in the supply chain where the problem may lie. It seems they get some element of their fillings from a company called Camelot Chilled foods as per the link here -

http://www.camelotfoods.co.uk/products.aspx

If they are involved in the process and have an issue it could be causing the problem. Hope it’s not another Russell Hume!

It seems there is another company somewhere in the supply chain where the problem may lie. It seems they get some element of their fillings from a company called Camelot Chilled foods as per the link here -

http://www.camelotfoods.co.uk/products.aspx

If they are involved in the process and have an issue it could be causing the problem. Hope it’s not another Russell Hume!

Who wants horse meat sloop in their pies? Anyone remember that scandal? You know it's bad when you've got to get a DNA test to identify what's in your food.

Any company that just disappears for several weeks like this will lose their customers in droves. It could be the nail in the coffin for the ROC.

well the chap thats selling the pies says how they chop all the veg and meat by hand. that its all seasoned with black pepper and fresh herbs.the pastry is made by hand and rolled out by hand. all hand crimped so its just sales patter then

well the chap thats selling the pies says how they chop all the veg and meat by hand. that its all seasoned with black pepper and fresh herbs.the pastry is made by hand and rolled out by hand. all hand crimped so its just sales patter then

Of course it it! Making even shortcrust pastry by hand is relatively labour-intensive. The'd be doing nothing but dropping cubes of fat into sifted flour and rubbing it in until it resembles fine breadcrumbs! They ain't got the time to be doing that with all the pies they're tasked with making. They likely just buy in the ingredients, add a bit of seasoning, bosh it into a pie shape and bake it in the oven for a bit, and rake in a fair amount of cash from the margin they make on their supposed artisan pies.

Maybe they should rebrand: "The Real LIE company?" They could do a fine line in adding a little pastry insignia to Fray Bentos pies, then touting them under claims of artisanal production.

Last edited:
Have you ever noticed the latest HAND COOKED logo on crisps?

They had a programme on TV about these HAND COOKED crisps being made in a huge automated factory.

But they did show a hand pressing the button to start up the giant machines, so I suppose that this amounts to HAND COOKED.

A bit of common sense shows they could not possibly make tons of HAND COOKED crisps every day.

Have you ever noticed the latest HAND COOKED logo on crisps?

They had a programme on TV about these HAND COOKED crisps being made in a huge automated factory.

But they did show a hand pressing the button to start up the giant machines, so I suppose that this amounts to HAND COOKED.

A bit of common sense shows they could not possibly make tons of HAND COOKED crisps every day.

Exactly. Yes.

Latest posts

Back