The Real Pie Company?? wonder whats happend

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yep Shopper we`re practically neighbours. I only moved to this neck of the woods when I remarried 6 years ago but hubby has lived here all of his life. I`ve always lived in the North West and was born not far from Preston and when my first husband was alive we lived in a small village on the outskirts of Bolton.
Living here has been a learning curve because it`s an area of great rivalry much like Manchester and Liverpool are divided by their football teams then this area is divided by their rugby teams. You have the Pie Eaters from Wigan and the Lobby Gobblers from Leigh which is still a part of Wigan but any leigh-ther worth his/her salt would 100% argue that point.
Lobby is a watery stew by the way, the meat and veg in it are cut into very small pieces so when it`s cooked it has a much thinner consistency than stew. I`ve only ever eaten it once and that was enough.
It`s an area of strong people, especially strong women. To this day there are families who are still ostracised because their menfolk broke the picket lines during the miners strike. There is no forgive or forget with these people even after all these years. As an outsider I find it strange but when I chat to hubby and his sisters and brother then I can partly see why.
It was the men who picketed but it was the women who held everything else together and my husband says that without his late first wife he would never have coped. She along with many other women fended off the bailiffs, argued with banks and building societies to keep a roof over their heads, begged local shopkeepers for tick so they could feed their kids and spent hours sorting through food donations from foreign Countries such as Russia and Poland even though they couldn`t understand the labels on the tins and were faced with foodstuffs alien to the Lancashire pallette.
As miners they were given free coal so every house had coal fires but when they striked then the free coal stopped so there were families literally freezing in their homes. The men went on the rob and stole coal from the pits, many were arrested and charged. The women pawned their wedding rings and anything else and even though there is long lasting bitterness there is also long lasting pride. Even to this day they have a Miners Welfare building and ex miners still march in the local carnival but the pits closures also meant the end of small local shops and businesses and to this day there are men who have never worked again.
My husband was in his 50`s and he went on to be self employed and then to semi retirement but others weren`t so lucky and the past is all they have. Sad times and I daresay there are other parts of the Country, Wales, Yorkshire etc which are just the same.

South Yorkshire us the same. My grandad on mum's side was a deputy at Maltby main put, father in law, brother in law and hubby all worked in different pots round Sheffield. My other half left mining, he was an engineer and went into industry. He never liked working underground as when they were opening new seams he was sometimes up to his shoulders in water.

Some families are still estranged due to crossing picket lines. Daughters who worked in Cosl Biarx offices were never spoken to again.

Oh goodness no DG, I couldn’t stand a full hour either. He’s commented on them being “his mother in laws recipes” so I suppose he keeps them. That blonde woman was a work colleague, she used to knock me sick the way she’d lick her fingers then touch and eat the pies, ooooh! that’s made my tummy turn just thinking of it :puke: :mysmilie_17:

Oh heck I never caught her licking her fingers :mysmilie_5::tongue::mysmilie_13:
I don’t know why would hand a failing business over to your son, and his partner.
As I see it they would have no back up if both in the business, just seems strange to me.
Could do with a explanation from someone in law.

I have no understanding of the company business, such as going bust then resetting back up in business as the same company a day later.
I thought Brett’s partners parents owned the company, I’m sure I’ve heard him referring to the mother and recipes.
Did they have a butchers shop and sold their pies, don’t think I’ve ever watched a full hour of pies.
What bit I’ve seen there was a blonde woman trying to take control whilst Brett messed about and chatted to the presenter.

They had a 'break' over the summer & there were several reasons given for doing this. Subsequently it was discovered that the company had gone into administration, owing a considerable amount of money to many other businesses & HMRC. It turned out that they subcontracted out to bakeries & other pies makers, one of them then closed down due to not being paid. He has now started again, ironically keeping the word 'real' & was welcomed back by many presenters as if he'd just circumnavigated the world on a skateboard, juggling his pies while wearing a blindfold. If there's one thing that sticks in my throat, more than one of his glutinous offferings, it's the fact that he can walk away from the damage & just set up another company under the same name.

They had a 'break' over the summer & there were several reasons given for doing this. Subsequently it was discovered that the company had gone into administration, owing a considerable amount of money to many other businesses & HMRC. It turned out that they subcontracted out to bakeries & other pies makers, one of them then closed down due to not being paid. He has now started again, ironically keeping the word 'real' & was welcomed back by many presenters as if he'd just circumnavigated the world on a skateboard, juggling his pies while wearing a blindfold. If there's one thing that sticks in my throat, more than one of his glutinous offferings, it's the fact that he can walk away from the damage & just set up another company under the same name.

Yes I agree, he's free to walk away to make the same mistakes all over again. He stands there stating no fat or gristle, basically lying, when reviews have stated other wise. The truth will out T. :mysmilie_3:

Terrible that’s people’s life’s they are playing with, then come back on live tv so blatantly.
Also to be selling on QVC saying they make the pies in their kitchen. I heard them say oh tomorrow we will be firing up the ovens making your orders. Yet other bakery’s are making them and QVC go on about their legal team verification of things they say on air. Seems if other bakers were making for them, they had took on far too much and being greedy. But wrongly saying it was all their production and it wasn’t. Wouldn’t you think QVC would inspect production but I guess they would get round it by the outsourcing was done for non QVC sales.
Just seems a hard thing to swallow much like their pies by the sounds of the reviews.

Alison Keenan said on a show the other day that she should go with a film crew to TRPC as Brett chirruped on about how they basically cook everything in a larger version of a domestic kitchen (yeah right)

Now that film would be worth watching.....I'm betting it never happens! You'd certainly be able to judge how many pies they can bake at once I reckon, and see if it tallies with how many they must be shifting on QVC.

Alison Keenan said on a show the other day that she should go with a film crew to TRPC as Brett chirruped on about how they basically cook everything in a larger version of a domestic kitchen (yeah right)

Now that film would be worth watching.....I'm betting it never happens! You'd certainly be able to judge how many pies they can bake at once I reckon, and see if it tallies with how many they must be shifting on QVC.

I think someone should inform Bratt (yes I know what I mean :mysmilie_17:) that "a larger version of a domestic kitchen" is actually called a factory. :mysmilie_17:

There wasn't much selling of pies going on on the Food Fest last night. Brett was far more interested in knocking back the gin and prosecco :mysmilie_17:

CC

Whatever they do or say I cannot understand why anyone would buy pies from QVC, unless they cannot access any shops.I have a wonderful bakery locally but you have to queue & get there in the morning.I saw on th TV the other day a young man who had set up his own business in Preston & people were also queuing round the block.I love pies but am trying not to eat too many!Am also going to make some of my own for the freezer.

Latest posts

Back