Postage discrepancies

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

alter ego

Registered Shopper
I've NEVER understood Q's postage costs. Absolutely no rhyme or reason.

I first noticed the discrepancies on Cozee Home items where sometimes they'd be £3.95, sometimes £7.95, not to mention any price in between.

But just watching the Color Wow show as I'm interested in the Dream Coat for curly hair but don't want to buy without the security of having a return at such a high price.

So, on comes Dream Coat original in a 200ml bottle, 3 easy pays and £2.95 P&P. Next up the curly, but this time 2 easy pays and £3.95 P&P. WTF?! Unless there's a huge difference in the weight of the two products (even though they're the same volume - I did do this in school and work, but I'm having a brain fart at the mo so can't remember the technical terms - think it's my annoyed confusion at these P&Ps), I cannot for the life of me see why they'd charge an extra £1 for identical (IDENTICAL!!!!) products.

Any ideas? Similar rants?

PS I use the original and along with my Steampod, I now have perfect hair. For days. I'm very impressed and will carry on paying £stupid for this wonder product.

I've always found with QVC, if there's any sort of a price reduction, the p&p will be higher so they can grab the couple of quid back that way. I once (well when I say once I often see it on other things) seen two SBC sets, containing the same amount of items, the same weights only one was a "feature price" and the postage was £5.95, the other was just the usual price with a p&p of £3.95 so the £4 "saving" on the SBC set turned out to be only £2, they were both litre of something and two half litres of something, so were's the logic in that if not to take less of a hit?

When you send something back the postage is nearly always less than you paid QVC to send it to you, even if you send back recorded delivery.

Shopperholic, I have also noticed that the postage goes up if you are getting a discount on the price of something. Ideal World are guilty of this one as well. You get nowt for nowt.

CC

With Ideal World the clearance, especially the clothes, the p&p is usually £1, not exactly nowt but I can live with a quid. :mysmilie_3:

The price differences really show up sometimes on their other channels, especially the Beauty. They'll talk about the price but the price shown on screen is almost always higher, and it's not always just because the original price was for a special offer somewhere down the line. They just keep randomly increasing their prices but I thought they had to declare that "on sale for at least 30 days" type legal gumph you see in shops.

My bugbear is receiving 2 parcels with an identical item (colour/size ), you try one on and its not for you, but you still have to open the other parcel to retrieve the return label. Then its the faff of sealing up both parcels.

Even catalogues send out a variety of items in one huge parcel, so there's only one form to mark up the 'returns', and more often than not it can be left for free at a lot of convenience stores for collection.

I saw EXACTLY the same Lock'n'lock set but with different item numbers and different prices.

The cheaper priced set also had cheaper PP, £1 less than the other (identical) set.

I posted about this at the time, with the links to the 2 sets.

alter ego do you know it’s available on good old Amazon?

Thanks, LIAM.

I was going to wait for it to come to M&S and buy when it was on 20% as I have with the original, but I haven't worn my hair curly for years and don't know if it'll be any good for me. This is where I will use the MBG.

I only really wanted something to make my curly hair look normal instead of the odd-looking curl pattern I have without heat. My hair is getting quite fragile these days (thank-you, menopause!), so it's harder to keep in good condition. A break from drying and straighteners can't hurt, even though my Steampod brought my hair back from the shocking state GHDs got it into several years ago.

I posted in Sunday's OTO thread that I bought a Molton Brown OTO duo on Friday - same price but different combination and the P&P was a pound more. and they're also selling a 500 ml duo (which works out better ml for ml value than the OTO) with P&P at the same price I paid for the 300 ml duo.

I contacted customer services and asked why this was and was advised that the original price of Friday's OTO was £32.00, hence the increased P&P because it doesn't just cover the cost of the P&P, it also includes the cost of the insurance, which is based on the value of the item. I wrote back to ask how come a more expensive item, bigger in size and heavier, also had a P&P of £4.95 and a smaller/lighter (300ml shower duo) which is at an introductory price of £26.97, has a P&P of £4.95? Does shower gel weigh more than hand wash? I await their response. :thinking:

At a guess the p&p goes up when QVC margin on the goods goes down... How else do you explain the unfathomable charges on some of the products?

I posted in Sunday's OTO thread that I bought a Molton Brown OTO duo on Friday - same price but different combination and the P&P was a pound more. and they're also selling a 500 ml duo (which works out better ml for ml value than the OTO) with P&P at the same price I paid for the 300 ml duo.

I contacted customer services and asked why this was and was advised that the original price of Friday's OTO was £32.00, hence the increased P&P because it doesn't just cover the cost of the P&P, it also includes the cost of the insurance, which is based on the value of the item. I wrote back to ask how come a more expensive item, bigger in size and heavier, also had a P&P of £4.95 and a smaller/lighter (300ml shower duo) which is at an introductory price of £26.97, has a P&P of £4.95? Does shower gel weigh more than hand wash? I await their response. :thinking:

They'll be sitting chewing their pencils & trying to find a suitably worded excuse, sorry explanation. I wonder if you'll get a x on your reply.

I'm sure their p&p used to start at £2.45, back in the day I bought a fair amount of jewellery & this was the standard p&p for that, it then went up in 50p increments until the £5 mark.

I'm sure their p&p used to start at £2.45, back in the day I bought a fair amount of jewellery & this was the standard p&p for that, it then went up in 50p increments until the £5 mark.

God yeah, I remember the £2.45 P & P charge as well. Those were the days.
I'm lucky if anything I want has a charge of less than £5.95 now. Still, it stops me spending I suppose?

Oh yes, I remember the £2.45 and £2.95 for bigger heavier stuff.

I have said this a number of times but I really think someone just sits in front of a computer and goes 'Ah, that will do for that'. Depending on how bored that day you might get two items the same no matter what is in them.

Thanks, LIAM.

I was going to wait for it to come to M&S and buy when it was on 20% as I have with the original, but I haven't worn my hair curly for years and don't know if it'll be any good for me. This is where I will use the MBG.

I only really wanted something to make my curly hair look normal instead of the odd-looking curl pattern I have without heat. My hair is getting quite fragile these days (thank-you, menopause!), so it's harder to keep in good condition. A break from drying and straighteners can't hurt, even though my Steampod brought my hair back from the shocking state GHDs got it into several years ago.

Marks do a travel size which ml for ml isn’t good value but if you get a money off voucher it makes it reasonable for a trial. No OMBG of course but postage both ways would go a fair bit towards.

I buy quite a lot of clothes and shoes (need wide fitting) from an on-line company that has a rather frumpy reputation but I find some gems. I have taken up their offer of paying £9.99 as an upfront payment for “free” next day delivery for everything I order in a year. I’ve broken even after 3 months. Also they offer free returns via the post office and a good number of convenient drop-off points.

Admittedly I’ve ‘traded down’ my fashion since I retired from a job for which I had to wear good quality formal suits, heels etc. Now I want reasonable quality casual but stylish outfits that fit and contain a high percentage of natural materials.

Latest posts

Back