QVC is horribly unimaginative when it come to men's products!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julius

Registered Shopper
It seems to me that whenever QVC (rarely) tout a product aimed at men it's usually to do with shaving, strongly scented or a wallet. So female-oriented is QVC that when it comes to men, they haven't a clue. If anyone bought me a shaving set I'm not sure I'd be terribly thrilled. I buy my King of Shaves Sensitive shave gel from Asda / Savers for about 3 quid, my Super Max 3-blade razors from Savers - and I'm done.

Ladies, how would you feel if your partner were to buy you hair removal cream and a spatula as a gift?!

QVC seem to wanting to broaden their appeal, yet persist in touting products to their 50+ ladies who love wearing sharkbite hems and oversized cubic zirconia jewellery, and have perpetual, insatiable, neurotic urges to make impulse purchases to fill their "gift drawers" just in case the need for a bit of "gifting" should arise.

What gifts have you bought for your man / men? Where did you get them from and how pleased were the recipients with their gift?

They only have predominantly men's products twice a year, that's Christmas and Fathers Day, they forget millions of men also have birthdays throughout the year across the land. I think what it is though, they can't have expensive woman's clothes and men's clothes reasonably priced, because that would make a mockery of QVC, and what man would pay £50 for a polyester jumper, £35 for a t-shirt and £60 (all plus p&p) for a pair of Sketchers when he could buy a pair of Vans or Adidas for less and get a nice t-shirt and jumper combined for under twenty quid, cos I know for an absolute fact the husband wouldn't pay QVC prices, neither would I. No, I'm afraid in that clothing department men are more level headed and practical than us woman (well I say us women, I know many of us women wouldn't pay it either). :mysmilie_17:)

maybe men don't spend as much on clothes as women do.

I don't doubt it, and I think price has a lot to do with it. The husband would make Worzel Gummidge look like he should be on the cover of GQ if he had to pay QVCs prices, he's also a "can't be arsed" kind of guy were clothes are concerned :mysmilie_17:

They only have predominantly men's products twice a year, that's Christmas and Fathers Day, they forget millions of men also have birthdays throughout the year across the land. I think what it is though, they can't have expensive woman's clothes and men's clothes reasonably priced, because that would make a mockery of QVC, and what man would pay £50 for a polyester jumper, £35 for a t-shirt and £60 (all plus p&p) for a pair of Sketchers when he could buy a pair of Vans or Adidas for less and get a nice t-shirt and jumper combined for under twenty quid, cos I know for an absolute fact the husband wouldn't pay QVC prices, neither would I. No, I'm afraid in that clothing department men are more level headed and practical than us woman (well I say us women, I know many of us women wouldn't pay it either). :mysmilie_17:)

Yes, I see what you mean, shopper. That makes perfect sense. It's simply more lucrative for QVC to sell women's clothes.

I spend hardly anything on clothes, the bulk of my spending is on gadgets of all kinds eg electronic, hi-fi, kitchen, home, DIY, etc etc.

By not following fashion, I am able to afford a £2500 radio/CD player, for example.

(Click image to enlarge it if interested)

ruark-r7-1074-p.jpg

But QVC have hardly anything these days, compared with the past eg SOHO (small office, home office, DIY on Sunday (EVERY Sunday) etc.

Not so long ago "Boring Biagi" was on screen touting some...I'm not sure exactly what you'd call them..."tray things?" They were some plastic trays all got up to look like black granite, and with a bit of felt stuck on the base. Biagi crowed: "And it's important for a man to have somewhere to put his watch and his keys." I thought, yeah Simes, on the damn table like everyone else, now just p*ss off!

I don't really care much for fashion. I always wear Vans, black Levis skinny jeans, a black t-shirt and a red flatcap. I always have a suit handy in case I need it, which I seldom ever do.

I think the only people who are interested in fashion, are the people who actually work in the industry and make money from it, and then there's QVC, who think they know all about fashion (or try and convince you they do, but we know different) but QVC might want to "think again". The majority are people like us, who, so long as we're clean, smart and haven't spent a fortune, we're happy.

Unless you're my husband, who doesn't even care if he looks smart, just so long as he's clothed, he's got new clothes that he's been bought for birthdays, Christmas, Father's Day or just because I seen it and bought it, that are still in the cupboard with the tags on. :mysmilie_17:

I spend hardly anything on clothes, the bulk of my spending is on gadgets of all kinds eg electronic, hi-fi, kitchen, home, DIY, etc etc.

By not following fashion, I am able to afford a £2500 radio/CD player, for example.

(Click image to enlarge it if interested)

View attachment 15930

But QVC have hardly anything these days, compared with the past eg SOHO (small office, home office, DIY on Sunday (EVERY Sunday) etc.

And risk it being flung over the back fence strato?
I ordered OPI and the box was left behind a flowerpot at my front door that anyone could have walked off with as I have an open drive. Usually parcels are left in the recycling bin or at the side of them, I am particularly twitched ordering anything that won’t fit in my letter box now.

I can't imagine my husband ever watching qvc. He has no interest in clothes (wears uniform for work, kilt for anything formal, and jeans for everything else), wears moisturiser after shaving but basically whatever is cheapest (and certified cruelty free, I've converted him☺), and any technology he'll research extensively from a wider range than qvc offer. Gardening stuff he'll buy off eBay or local. Most of his expenditure is car related.

I think it's a snake eating it's own tale, kind of thing,

Qvc target women 99% of the time because they probably have data that suggests men don't buy things... yet men don't buy things because whenever they turn on qvc it is women's clothes, women's shoes, beauty creams aimed at females with a female guest demonstrating on a female. Even their technology products are presented by women for the purpose of targeting women.

Do they still think men only buy products on a Sunday morning and only if it's drill-bits?

Qvc is pretty sexist in nature.

I think it's a snake eating it's own tale, kind of thing,

Qvc target women 99% of the time because they probably have data that suggests men don't buy things... yet men don't buy things because whenever they turn on qvc it is women's clothes, women's shoes, beauty creams aimed at females with a female guest demonstrating on a female. Even their technology products are presented by women for the purpose of targeting women.

Do they still think men only buy products on a Sunday morning and only if it's drill-bits?

Qvc is pretty sexist in nature.

Yes, you're right. It is pretty comical. Tune in on Sunday at 10am and that horrible gnome is generally on touting some stupid bit of trellis or some overpriced fertiliser. There's nothing wrong with gardening - I'd love to have a garden, and I always seem to be buying things for my vehicles, I just wish QVC would broaden its horizons a bit. It's all so very staid and formulaic. The DIY shows are as dull as piss water!

QVC has tried selling men's clothing but it rarely had repeat shows, ending up in Last Clicks. They had regular hours of "Big Bold Gold", "Big Boys' Toys", DS and Marvel Comics, Start Wars, Star Trek and Football memorabilia but I guess if there were as lucrative as Diamonique and Kim & Co they'd still give them air time? Maybe they've accepted they're a mainly women's shop. There was a fella on facebook who kept asking for men's stuff but I wonder whether he'd go into Superdrug and ask where the shoe department is? If he's not into cooking, gardening, a small amount if DIY or cross-dressing he's probably not going to enjoy QVC from a shopping perspective. I find I'm buying fewer things these days but still watch and still a fan of shopping on telly.

QVC has tried selling men's clothing but it rarely had repeat shows, ending up in Last Clicks. They had regular hours of "Big Bold Gold", "Big Boys' Toys", DS and Marvel Comics, Start Wars, Star Trek and Football memorabilia but I guess if there were as lucrative as Diamonique and Kim & Co they'd still give them air time? Maybe they've accepted they're a mainly women's shop. There was a fella on facebook who kept asking for men's stuff but I wonder whether he'd go into Superdrug and ask where the shoe department is? If he's not into cooking, gardening, a small amount if DIY or cross-dressing he's probably not going to enjoy QVC from a shopping perspective. I find I'm buying fewer things these days but still watch and still a fan of shopping on telly.

I remember all those hours you mentioned, Akimbo. Even they are patronising. Do all men want "big bold gold?" I certainly don't! I wear a (white gold) curb chain which, though substantial is not chunky or bold in any way. I wouldn't be see dead wearing a "Chav Mayor of London" chain! I have no rings, and if I were to get any, they wouldn't be big or bold. I haven't read any comics since I stopped reading The Beano at the age of 9, I hate sci-fi and football to me is as dull as piss water!

Maybe I'm a bit off their radar, but as a beta male, flatcap-wearing, plane-flying, radio-listening, skinny little scribe I guess I'm not your average bloke.

Yes, you're right. It is pretty comical. Tune in on Sunday at 10am and that horrible gnome is generally on touting some stupid bit of trellis or some overpriced fertiliser. There's nothing wrong with gardening - I'd love to have a garden, and I always seem to be buying things for my vehicles, I just wish QVC would broaden its horizons a bit. It's all so very staid and formulaic. The DIY shows are as dull as piss water!

I understand that the world is becoming more unisex in nature, but why is there this existing notion that men are frowned upon for claiming sexism in areas that if women said the exact same things, it would be valid and acted upon?

You bring up great past memories of when it legitimately was a variety channel. Sure it was all tat, but the actual presentations felt like it was remotely aimed at myself at times as such.

I know they make enough money to survive when the tv channel bubble finally bursts and claims ideal world etc... but it feels like they already know it's coming and are clinging on to their female-centric products that make the most money.

I understand that the world is becoming more unisex in nature, but why is there this existing notion that men are frowned upon for claiming sexism in areas that if women said the exact same things, it would be valid and acted upon?

Women are over-compensating for years and years of mistreatment, largely at the hands of blokey-bloke men, and the blokey-bloke men couldn't give a toss for sexism - even if it's against them. They're too busy goin' down the pub / masturbating / watching Top Gear re-runs on Dave! (Some are clever enough to do both things at thet same time!) Men, even atypical ones like me, don't generally like to play the "victim" card and so will not draw attention to such things - not that there's anything wrong with it if they do. I only tend to point out such things when a rampant, usually lesbian, feminist is up on her high horse spouting anti-male vitriol. I had to interview Eve Ensler (of Vagina Monologues fame) and that conversation was a very fiery one. You could say it was my Michael Parkinson / Meg Ryan moment! LOL!

Last edited:
Julius has it ever occured to you that running numerous threads bitching about the way a female presenter or guest or a typical QVC buyer may look like, sound like, whether they smoke or have different way of speaking to your own that you're verbally bashing women who you don't really know? Just what a blokey bloke might do?

Julius has it ever occured to you that running numerous threads bitching about the way a female presenter or guest or a typical QVC buyer may look like, sound like, whether they smoke or have different way of speaking to your own that you're verbally bashing women who you don't really know? Just what a blokey bloke might do?

It has occurred to me, yes. In so doing I'm not making sweeping statements about all women, though.

Latest posts

Back