Richard Jacksons Garden TSV 20/08/18

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The flamingo could be placed among the lilies looking like something from a Pixar film or a metallic 'Jurassic Park'. I quite like kitsch in a garden but with a cat who gets scared easily & three small grandchildren these look like an accident waiting to happen.

Look like they belong in the telly tubby garden...

I live at the end of a cul de sac and got fed up with cars constantly using my drive to turn around in (and I don't even have a car myself). In fact, one vehicle caused damage which had to be repaired.

So I put up a road-works type barrier, which solved the problem but doesn't look good.

I thought I could replace it with these lilies but can't think how I'd secure them to the tarmac drive, and stop them getting stolen.

Well I didn't go for them, but it did give me the idea to use a few large plant pots with some sort of shrubs in them. I'd like them to be too heavy to easily steal.

So has anyone any ideas for what sort of plants to put in the pots, something permanent and low maintenance, suitable for a large pot?

Well I didn't go for them, but it did give me the idea to use a few large plant pots with some sort of shrubs in them. I'd like them to be too heavy to easily steal.

So has anyone any ideas for what sort of plants to put in the pots, something permanent and low maintenance, suitable for a large pot?

I'd go for any of the following & I'd have all the pots the same: Skimmia - Kew Green is lovely, Photinia Little Red Robin, Pittosporum ‘Tom Thumb or a dwarf Rhododendron - this would need to be planted in ericaceous compost & fed with a relevant feed. I'd under plant with seasonal bedding plants - Violas or dwarf Cyclamens in autumn & winter & any low growing summer plants for when the frosts have gone. I'd also put in some Tete a Tete Narcissus bulbs to have those dear little yellow faces appear in the spring. Kept watered & fed when necessary they would look lovely. I always have glazed pots because they cope with the cold better but I made the mistake of having small Olive trees in pots either side of the front door & they suffered last winter so they've been planted in the back & I'm going back to either Skimmia or dwarf Rhodies with a bit of companion planting, maybe even Golden Thyme. At Christmas I put a string of mini lights around them & I love that look. Many apologies if I've gone on too much & sounded preachy, I love gardening:flower:

Hydrangeas grow quite big quite quickly and they like a big pot. You need to water well in dry spells but they don't need much looking after in the winter. Not many people like them either so they'd be unlikely to get stolen.

CC

Hydrangeas grow quite big quite quickly and they like a big pot. You need to water well in dry spells but they don't need much looking after in the winter. Not many people like them either so they'd be unlikely to get stolen.

CC

I must be in the minority because I love Hydrangeas & have looked after mine during this summer as I was concerned they'd give up because of the dry soil & never ending heat.

We have a huge Hydrangea which I bought from Lidl about 4 years ago. It's pink but fades to pale green petals and this year it seems bigger than ever. I bought 3 more potted Hydrangeas from Lidl about a week ago to take to our new house (when we find it)- 2 different shades of blue and another pink for about a fiver each, it's a shame you missed them but all the plants I've had from them have thrived and their pansies are back tomorrow: 10 Frizzle Sizzle for £1.69 knocking QVC and IW's prices into touch! - well worth keeping an eye on the coming months for garden shrubs as well as bedding plants.

Latest posts

Back