Extreme tanning

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles I will be 70 this December, but I'll tell you something. When I was in my 30s and 40s and saw women who I knew to be in their 60s and 70s they looked much much older than women of the same age nowadays. I have never been someone who wanted to tan, simply because I come from an Italian/Maltese background, and in the 80s when visiting relatives in Malta my mother pointed out that one of my cousins was the same age as me. If I tell you I was shocked it's an understatement because she looked old with tight leathery skin, nothing like me then or now.

In some warm countries like Italy for example it is considered that having a fair untanned skin is proof that you are of upper class. I have Italian family who would never dream of achieving a tan for the reason that they want to look wealthy. They are not poor, fairly middle class but my goodness do they have style.
These QVC presenters who tan furiously have no idea how they will look in their 70s - wish I could be around to see that.

Ditto Ohnonots.... I'm 70 in October, and my tanning (despite being born and living at the seaside during my formative years) is restricted to a bit of self tan on my face and legs. My arms and hands are a different matter due to driving and general exposure, they are a leathery brown and age spots have just started to appear.

Saying that, most people who don't know me well, are open mouthed when they find out my age, BUT in the main, apart from my skin, its hairstyle and clothes which retain a youthful appearance. Some of my friends have the short feather cut, wear baggy but snug fitting tops, beige trousers and granny style Hotter shoes - nothing wrong with that, but its ageing, and as one friend puts it - looks like a librarian or sunday school teacher. And these are my contemporaries who danced around their handbags in the 60's !!

Latest posts

Back