When is DIY coming back on QVC, It doesn't seem to be on as much?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Tomas3000

Registered Shopper
Hi everyone i have been a QVC customer for some years now and loved the DIY shows but I either seem to miss them or they just aren't on as much.
Does any one know?

Hi Tomas and welcome to the forum. There will be more DIY shows in the count-down to Christmas, but mainly power tools and other "gift" ideas. Such a shame QVC never really replaced the late Harry Green - his shows were interesting even if I wasn't after any specific product and the medium of shopping TV is perfect to demo DIY products - better than just staring at boxes on a shelf of Homebase. I suspect they just get more £££ per square metre of warehouse space on small, high mark-up items like cosmetics and jewellery. The gardening shows will trail off soon so there might be more DIY hours on Sunday mornings, but they'll be padded out with sets of torches, stamps to cover you address on junk mail etc.

I used to avidly watch "DIY on Sundays" which were on at the SAME time, EVERY Sunday.

Now, you just get the occasional DIY show at irregular times and days, so I never get the chance to watch them.

I bought loads of stuff from these hours, either from Q or elsewhere if I could get them cheaper or with less PP, but Q still made loadsamoney from me.

Just as Akimbo says, there will be more DIY on Sundays once the gardening stuff winds down, but the inventory is very uninspiring. If you're very lucky, you might get Kenny and his £25 bog brushes, but that's about as exciting as it gets.

I agree Strato! We are still using a "Snake Driver" bought in the 90s from QVC, plus a few other bits and bobs.

The biggest downside to DIY shows is the high risk of them being presented by the bellowing Simon Biagi!

I personally think Ideal World do DIY products better on air than QVC. They do lots of demonstrations on the products they're selling, whereas QVC is rush-rush-rush through as many different products as possible.

Sadly, I think the key requirement for DIY to get more air time will be a sudden and massive upswing in their core female customers doing DIY projects around the home, so it will remain quite niche, and as SCW says - you have to get very good at looking out for the clues in the titles of the shows to find them.

I agree Strato! We are still using a "Snake Driver" bought in the 90s from QVC, plus a few other bits and bobs.

And they're still going strong!

6a00e54eff270488340192aa1f3d1e970d-pi.jpg

i remember a rather nice looking chap presenting the regular DIY shows a few years ago :wink:

Orlando I think he was called

I used to look forward to the sunday nmorning DIY hours, the last few I have watched were just a repeat of the one that had been on a week ot two before. I could scream at the tv when they show the 'S-Bond No Gun sealent' it looks the biz... but you use it once and no way can you get into it again. I don't believe much of their selling spiel these days.

I used to look forward to the sunday nmorning DIY hours, the last few I have watched were just a repeat of the one that had been on a week ot two before. I could scream at the tv when they show the 'S-Bond No Gun sealent' it looks the biz... but you use it once and no way can you get into it again. I don't believe much of their selling spiel these days.

I think QVC are so focused on the one-off sale, they have seemingly no interest in the repeat purchaser. So short-sighted. If they had a few more different things available they might not sell in the vast quantities that the beauty sells in, but they could have a nice steady income. I bet they would still be shifting more volume than a retailer and could command a decent discount. One of QVC's problems these days is that they don't even bother to pass on the discount to their customers - something you can readily see when you search the same products elsewhere, even factoring in postage costs.

If they could bear to drag themselves into the 21st century (which I don't believe they have the money coming in to afford)they need to be offering more products on repeat purchase: offer products with different repeat purchase frequencies and duration (eg: monthly, every 2/3/4 months over 1 year or 2 years) and offering on some products a reduction for setting up repeat orders. This is something Amazon now do, I've noticed.

Ah yes, Orlando, he was definitely the Sunday Morning Drool !!! and then he was replaced with..... the Gnome and his ****** gardening shows. Presenters have come and gone but the Gnome hangs on in there like a nasty smell.

Latest posts

Back