Merely incompetent or outright lying? You decide...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Merely incompetent or outright lying? You decide...

I was going add this to "Random musings and general banter" but decided it was important enough to deserve its own thread. First up we have this Vostok watch show broadcast on Saturday 25 August; watch https://www.idealworld.tv/gb/shows/c...303?channel=IW at 27:30 to hear Peter Simon say:

"...these didn't go through the system; make your own assumptions but they didn't go through the system..."
    "...for whatever reason...to be quite honest it was the obvious reason, OK..."

At that stage they had six remaining in stock according to Peter Simon, so they had somehow 'mislaid' six of them.

And the very next evening, during https://www.idealworld.tv/gb/shows/v...810?channel=IW at 14:30, Peter Simon again says:

"...this had sold out yesterday...gone..."
    "...it had sold out but they didn't go through..."
    "...the assumption is, you know exactly what I mean; they didn't go through the system..."

Also carry on listening to hear Peter mix up Scotland with Switzerland

So on two nights in succession Ideal World have claimed that a particular watch (the Lunokhod 2) had sold out when it subsequently transpired that it hadn't, therefore my assumption is either that Ideal World's stock control system is run by incompetents therefore it must be costing them an absolute fortune, or alternatively Ideal World are openly lying about a particular watch selling out. If this only happened one evening then it could be dismissed as an unfortunate error, but twice in succession? Really?!? (No such claim was made on Friday 24 August.)

Saturday night's Lunokhod 2 product description:

Name:  Screenshot_2018-08-27 Collectable Timepieces BlockBuster 19 00 25 08 2018 IW Ideal World(1).jpg
Views: 449
Size:  22.2 KB

Sunday night's Lunokhod 2 product description (identical apart from "PVD Plated Case" and "Straps" in the plural):

Name:  Screenshot_2018-08-27 Vostok Watches BlockBuster 19 00 26 08 2018 IW Ideal World.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  21.3 KB

If any of Ideal World's legal representatives are reading this, I must stress that this is an assumption and that Peter Simon did openly tell viewers to "make your own assumptions".

Post Thanks / Like

ADVERTISING
    I think the story that the presenters are trying to spin is that the watches were ordered on the website- 'placed in baskets' , but not checked out , meaning paid for.
    Therefore although they appeared to be sold out ,there were ,owing to this happenstance, a number available in the
    next show.
    Needless to say this is almost certainly a device or cover story to enable them to have their cake and eat it.
    Fairly typical Ideal World tactics !

3. <
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like they count something as being put in the basket as a sale, live on tv.

Then completely backtrack on it, as if Peter Simon has found a new creative way to get out of the sell out claim.

Either way it's massive lies and shouldn't be allowed to happen. Facts and figures should not be incorporated into the 'entertainment'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mr tom View Post
    It sounds like they count something as being put in the basket as a sale, live on tv.

Then completely backtrack on it, as if Peter Simon has found a new creative way to get out of the sell out claim.

Either way it's massive lies and shouldn't be allowed to happen. Facts and figures should not be incorporated into the 'entertainment'.
    Counting something that's just in a 'basket' as being sold is ludicrous; I put things in a 'basket' quite often just to check P&P charges if nothing else, though I suppose it's still dubious but OK to claim that they're "allocating on the web". I'm also finding it hard to believe that six people had that very same watch in their online 'basket' given how few of them were supposedly available in the first place (unless that's yet another lie), and given how many people were being hesitant about their purchases this doesn't exactly instil confidence relating to value for money.

You wouldn't think that Ideal World production team members would 'buy' watches in that manner in order to simulate demand (since they don't have to part with any money), would you?
    Likes Wirral70 , Retrovertigo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Price Plunge View Post
    Counting something that's just in a 'basket' as being sold is ludicrous; I put things in a 'basket' quite often just to check P&P charges if nothing else, though I suppose it's still dubious but OK to claim that they're "allocating on the web". I'm also finding it hard to believe that six people had that very same watch in their online 'basket' given how few of them were supposedly available in the first place (unless that's yet another lie), and given how many people were being hesitant about their purchases this doesn't exactly instil confidence relating to value for money.

You wouldn't think that Ideal World production team members would 'buy' watches in that manner in order to simulate demand (since they don't have to part with any money), would you?
    They are not really in anyone's basket -it's just a story they make up to justify pretending they are sold out then offering them again ad nauseum .

Post Thanks / Like

Something for the ASA, maybe?
    Likes Wirral70 , Retrovertigo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I always assume they are lying during the watch hours. Just as I assume they lie 99.9% of the time on the Jewellery channel. If all this stuff was really worth X amounts more than being shown, they would sell it for that. No one running a business sells stuff way below what it may be worth, just to let the customer have a bargain.
    Likes Price Plunge, Craftalot , Wirral70 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen Peter do these watch shows for a while and some of the routines he uses for example with the phone number Peter Simon: 09056 Kevin or guest: 48 48 48. And then there's the one with the stock count Peter: "We had 7 Guest: 6 Peter: Guest 5 Peter: Now only 3 left.....

Its so cheesy. The female guest he had on yesterday evening clearly didn't want to do the phone number routine.
    Likes Retrovertigo , Wirral70 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I've seen Peter do these watch shows for a while and some of the routines he uses for example with the phone number Peter Simon: 09056 Kevin or guest: 48 48 48. And then there's the one with the stock count Peter: "We had 7 Guest: 6 Peter: Guest 5 Peter: Now only 3 left.....

Its so cheesy. The female guest he had on yesterday evening clearly didn't want to do the phone number routine.
    That is so cringey, he never used to do it with Caroline but he's got her on it now. He intro'd them both last night off camera and he trumped her supposed Garrard credentials with his invented BAFTA award.......more cringe

The other night he was thanking Alberto for going through hoops to get a certain watch to air, Kevinski agreed with it all but then corrected him that it was Igor that had done it

On one of the many watch shows over the past few days, they had a watch worth 1,500 odd pounds. The BAFTA winner said someone had just bought three of them, the next night, he said the very same thing Possible I suppose but seems highly unlikely on consecutive nights somebody would buy three at a time. I think there may be a certain script in the gallery that's not been changed!
    Likes Retrovertigo , Wirral70 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

ADVERTISING

He’ll never change

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	232AE37E-9522-431E-A650-62F179F3FDD7.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	16085Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C9A55608-C2D0-46D2-A8CB-87294E18B705.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	16086
    Likes Price Plunge liked this post