Pass the port?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loveallthingsitalian

Registered Shopper
We are used to Antthony and his costumes but a refugee from a Sandyman Port advert is a new one.

Worse still - Mr L glanced up, caught a shot of Gatling Gun Keenan’s shoes and thought her knickers had fallen around her ankles.

We are used to Antthony and his costumes but a refugee from a Sandyman Port advert is a new one.

Worse still - Mr L glanced up, caught a shot of Gatling Gun Keenan’s shoes and thought her knickers had fallen around her ankles.

I was worried you'd gone... glad you haven't!

re Antthony - did you see the pink sparkly Dorothy shoes?

You are a lovely lot.

Hardly watch Q now and couldn’t access Arsebook for months so along with other bits didn’t feel I had much to contribute but I did read the forum regularly.

I didn’t see the slippers but I did hear he was designing bridal wear. Ye gods only Americans would let him loose on their big day.

Seems a nice enough guy but definitely a sandwich short of a picnic.

I heard him saying his accountant was outraged that he spent so much on fit models (3 per week) to get the perfect fit . Yeah right.. as with Rene, Kimmy and the gang the sizes from one garment to the next bear no resemblance to the measurements/high street size. If tonight’s models were fitted out I’m a monkeys uncle.

Antthony seems a lovely guy but it baffles me how someone who dresses so outside the box and who obviously has a creative streak can design such boring, old fashioned and mundane clothes ?
There`s no doubting he has the credentials to be noted as a "proper designer" but in my opinion he sells himself short with the old lady type stuff he`s trying to flog on selly telly.

Good to see you again.:mysmilie_480:

Antthony seems a lovely guy but it baffles me how someone who dresses so outside the box and who obviously has a creative streak can design such boring, old fashioned and mundane clothes ?
There`s no doubting he has the credentials to be noted as a "proper designer" but in my opinion he sells himself short with the old lady type stuff he`s trying to flog on selly telly.

I like some of Anttthony's 'costumes' .It is very strange that for such an artistic person his designs are so very plain and boring.There is nothing standout about them.You couldn't look at one of his designs and say
"That's by Anttthony".A good point Vienna.

I imagine Antthony dressing full gospel churches in southern states of US.

One plus point he doesn’t start every bliddy sentence with “yes absolutely “ which seems to have taken over from “ammazzing”.

The above is my current blood pressure busting, teeth grinding bug bear with all the current Bland ambassadors.

Just shows, the Americans will wear anything, and lets face it, most middle aged American women are not that interested in fashion, and as long as it covers the lumps and bumps anything goes. Unlike the British m/aged lady who at least tries not to dress like their dear old Mums did at the same age. So its about time the poly/elastene gang of designers realised we cant abide the stretch sofa covers prints !!

It seems in the circles QVC US sell to, frumpy polyester is the in thing. There is a constant parade of designers who are serving this market rather than give rein to their creative instincts because it pays the bills, keeps a roof over their heads, and puts food on the table. It's a shame, but many people who train as designers undoubtedly suffer a similar fate, but possibly not beamed out on our telly screens as with those locked into QVC.

For us in the UK it's a clear indication that there is a big difference between what passes for fashion in the two countries. Also, the US customer seems to go in for the kind of "old lady" dressing we have largely consigned to the past.

Antthony does say his mum approves everything so maybe that's where he's going wrong. The only items I have of his are some wide leg trousers in black and navy - very good quality I have to say and I got them for a song in clearance. The printed tops etc are dire.

CC

Watching Say Yes To The Dress and the variety of styles US brides go for, way over the top or particularly plain, not much in between, I’d say he stands a good shot. And the fashion for mermaid fit and princessy, well, he hasn’t turned up on Q as a merman, yet, and there’s a whole plethora of Disney males!

It seems in the circles QVC US sell to, frumpy polyester is the in thing. There is a constant parade of designers who are serving this market rather than give rein to their creative instincts because it pays the bills, keeps a roof over their heads, and puts food on the table. It's a shame, but many people who train as designers undoubtedly suffer a similar fate, but possibly not beamed out on our telly screens as with those locked into QVC.

For us in the UK it's a clear indication that there is a big difference between what passes for fashion in the two countries. Also, the US customer seems to go in for the kind of "old lady" dressing we have largely consigned to the past.

Exactly what I've said May. You only have to watch U.S films to get the gist of how they dress, so its true, its the bread and butter for the poly designers.

Its a shame because I remember drooling over the wardrobe of Doris Day in her romcoms with James Garner and Rock Hudson - she had the most fabulous outfits, as did Audrey Hepburn. So many times I've heard Q presenters/designers say something is 'Hepburnesque', but instead of the ****** 'esque' why don't they go the whole hog and give us something that is definitely Hepburn or Day !!!! it cant be that hard, AND they could use a crepe fabric to create something different, rather than the insipid poly.

My Mum was 92 when she died in 2016. She loved her clothes right to the end and always looked stylish in an age appropriate way, whether casual or in a tiny bit of sparkle. We went shopping on the dreaded high street. We watched QVC together occasionally and she described the clothes as “as old-fashioned as Adam”.

I have a few American friends who mainly live in small town America. They have small local stores but are a 2 or 3 hour drive from larger shops or malls so they rely heavily on mail order clothing or selly telly clothing. One of my friends visited me with her husband and their then 15 year old daughter and when I asked their daughter what she liked about the UK she said the clothes and how girls her own age dressed so differently from her and that they had so much more choice. Not long after they visited my friend sent me a photograph of her daughter at a school prom and not only did the prom dress look suitable for a 40 year old but so did the hair and makeup. We see the American big cities with their large stores and shopping malls but a huge percentage of the population live so far away from them and are just happy with whatever they can get.

I have a few American friends who mainly live in small town America. They have small local stores but are a 2 or 3 hour drive from larger shops or malls so they rely heavily on mail order clothing or selly telly clothing. One of my friends visited me with her husband and their then 15 year old daughter and when I asked their daughter what she liked about the UK she said the clothes and how girls her own age dressed so differently from her and that they had so much more choice. Not long after they visited my friend sent me a photograph of her daughter at a school prom and not only did the prom dress look suitable for a 40 year old but so did the hair and makeup. We see the American big cities with their large stores and shopping malls but a huge percentage of the population live so far away from them and are just happy with whatever they can get.

That's the thing with the USA - it's difficult to comprehend the sheer size of it sometimes. I always think that the general 'taste' in everyday furniture like tables, bookcases, sofas etc is also very old fashioned. They go in for a stained dark oak/mahogany heavy look with carving, green leather giant puffy sofas, that sort of thing. Same often for kitchen units, which are similarly dark and oppressive. It's the sort of thing we used to have in the 80s, before we got a lighter, cleaner, leaner look.

Totally agree Craftalot, I remember commenting at the amount of dark wood panelling that every home seemed to have in films, and rarely was any wallpaper seen. On the other hand, they love their large open plan rooms which I also like, but as you say, in general they are way behind the times in all things 'fashion'.

That's the thing with the USA - it's difficult to comprehend the sheer size of it sometimes. I always think that the general 'taste' in everyday furniture like tables, bookcases, sofas etc is also very old fashioned. They go in for a stained dark oak/mahogany heavy look with carving, green leather giant puffy sofas, that sort of thing. Same often for kitchen units, which are similarly dark and oppressive. It's the sort of thing we used to have in the 80s, before we got a lighter, cleaner, leaner look.

After Ikea told us to chuck out our chintz!

Latest posts

Back