DMeeeeeK handcrafted—-?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Silver Fox

Registered Shopper
I have dipped in & out of a few shows today & I have heard the words ‘hand cut by artisans’etc. quite a few times.Now this jewellery is not highly priced ( & there will be large profit margins added into this) so where are these gem cutters/artisans how much goes to them.They are after all experts in their field, cutting the same as real diamonds aren’t they? Is this put down to Q’s massive buying power? Or back street sweat shops in similar circumstances to many in the clothing industry.

When Clive Shuttlebuck (or some such name) was on he marvelled at the prices and always said that it cost £5 per claw setting. In Europe/USA I have no doubt that’s true but since all Q’s stuff is from Far East or 3rd world countries I reckon it was £5 per day not per claw.

They keep saying "SOLID" gold, but it is far from solid.

It is wafer thin, and not solid t all, all the "solid" centre has been scooped out to just leave a thin shell.

I noticed the 'scooping out' of rings back in the day when QVC were a major force as a jewellery retailer, - which smacks of cheapness. As for 'artisan', that word is bandied about now for anyone who can strike a match these days. Artisans produce one offs or a very limited number of an item, not thousands of rings in 20 sizes. I suppose Eeeeeky Ali came out with that one - y'know she who is the font of all knowledge about everything in the universe. Clearly not making enough in the day job.

Years back on Shoppingtelly GemsTV section was nearly as busy as QVC believe it or not. Quite a few members had jewellery loops etc and used to buy a few rings and keep the one which was the best quality. They were very knowledgeable. They wouldn't touch QVC jewellery because of the poor quality gemstones and the diamonds considered a joke by serious diamond lovers.

Then Gems went downhill with low gold weights and complaints on their own Facebook about the quality of jewellery compared to the one shown on TV.

Years back on Shoppingtelly GemsTV section was nearly as busy as QVC believe it or not. Quite a few members had jewellery loops etc and used to buy a few rings and keep the one which was the best quality. They were very knowledgeable. They wouldn't touch QVC jewellery because of the poor quality gemstones and the diamonds considered a joke by serious diamond lovers.

Then Gems went downhill with low gold weights and complaints on their own Facebook about the quality of jewellery compared to the one shown on TV.

I'm really pleased with the posts from my forumites re Q jewels. Having not been a shopper in the old days I have nothing to compare the new offerings with, & it really helps me to have wise words from those of you who know your stones & metals.....It's so easy to get sucked in by the q bs

the best gold jewellery you can get is secondhand from the 60's/70's unless you have a serious budget. but I don't agree that QVC sold rubbish in the old days. some of their stuff in particular the 9/14 carat gold diamonique was very solid, well made and I am wearing QVC from day one as we speak. some shops were more than likely a bit pissed that QVC had such good quality pieces at really good prices. not that keen on the newer stuff but I don't need it as the old stuff will outlive me

I'm both sides of the fence on this one. Yes, the quality of the jewellery was poo poohed in many quarters - my own High Street independent for one. Because I didn't know any different, I took an overlarge aquamarine white gold ring for him to size down. He took one look at the inside hallmark which was stamped QVC, and he wouldn't touch it. He said that I should return it in exchange for another size, as they "'churned' out their rings in thousands ". At the time I couldn't understand what difference that would make, as he would get paid for doing it. Then I realised it must be to do with the quality.

On the other hand, I still have and wear many other rings, bought during the peak of the jewellery years. The designs were always unique and part of the appeal. Whether or not the pink sapphires/ fire opals/ Russian Diopside/ Peridots/ Amethysts etc etc were of top quality or not, who knows, but they still look as sparkly today as ever they did.

However, I was always more sceptical about the diamonds. There were several varieties - including champagne/cognac/black on offer, but the clear I felt always looked slightly 'dull' with little lustre or glitter, so tended to steer clear of those.

Brissels I agree about the coloured gems - I have lovely ones from early Q - but wouldn’t touch the diamond dust with a barge pole.

I don’t mind a bit of Eek it’s fun and easy to wear especially on holiday but it doesn’t warrant being talked about in hushed tones.

Last year I received a legacy and wanted to buy a heavy solid gold bangle I could wear everyday, I had a good budget. Well I scoured everywhere at home and abroad on holiday but everything* was either not to my taste or far far too light. No jeweller stocked gold bracelets over £700 and they would have bent if you looked sideways at them, even those they ordered in for me to look at were total rubbish.
I even went to get it hand made but because it was gold and therefore very expensive they were very reluctant to do the designs I had in mind.

Eventually during discussions with one antique jeweller I had a very heavy Albert chain necklace I didn’t wear because I felt it didn’t sit well so they got it melted down and made into a rose gold heavy plain bangle which I wear nearly every day. It cost me £250 pounds to get the work done on top of the chain (which was £600 about 20 years ago) so not cheap. However I didn’t wear the necklace so that was dead money.

I have a lovely Russian Diopside simple five stone half eternity style ring bought years ago from them. I still get people thinking it is really good emeralds.

The last gemstone ring I bought was from clearance must be a good 8 plus years back. Blueberry Quartz which was a heat-treated amethyst, half a carat and white gold, as my birthstone is amethyst I fancied one. They had some very over the top designs and I prefer simple, this one fitted what I wanted.

Still, wear the gemstone rings I bought from QVC back them.

Latest posts

Back