Ring doorbell

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ring doorbell

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ring doorbell

QVC sell many products I would not buy, however I really like the idea of the Ring doorbell, and would be interested to hear of people's experience with this item. Is is as good as it seems? What is the tech support like? Does it use heaps of mobile data? Is QVC a good place to buy it from?

Post Thanks / Like

ADVERTISING
    Barky Rottweiller does the same job Jules.

However, you do need to feed it raw meat. . .

CC

3. <
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by candycane View Post
    Barky Rottweiller does the same job Jules.

However, you do need to feed it raw meat. . .

CC
    I'd like to have a pet, however I wouldn't be around enough to give it the care and attention it deserves.
    Likes alter ego , candycane liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

We have just purchased the Ring camera system and unfortunately had to send it back.

It drained the battery on all of our mobiles within a very very short time. On the face of it was a good idea but this aspect would have to be greatly improved.

(We tried it on an iPad, Motorola phone and Samsung phone)
    Thanks Elliementary , SisterBliss, Loveinamist thanked for this post
    Likes alter ego liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You can get the doorbell for 89 in a few places (when I last looked) but the spare battery would be a good extra, and is not cheap.

Unless you pay a subscription, it can't record events that take place while you are out.

I don't have a smartphone so I don't know whether this can record events.

So if I bought one, I could only see who was at the door if I am actually at home (on my ipad) and I could equally well just look out of the window.
    Thanks iloveshopping thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one a while back and find it brilliant.

It is a little slow sometimes (lowest settings), but it's saved me so much hassle with getting to our (not very) local sorting office to pick up failed deliveries after I've not been able to get to the door in time.

It's also saved me the hassle of having to get to the door to answer it to people I don't want to answer it to (charity collectors etc.).

It comes into it's own when there are dodgy characters around that ring the bell just to see if there's someone in - we've had an explosion of tarmac layers/roofers/gutter cleaners/tree surgeons looking for work lately. None are local. I suspect most not legitimate as pre-Ring days I'd be sitting in my living room at the back of the house and be surprised to see young men in my garden scouting around. When challenged they'd say they'd knocked the door but I know they hadn't.

We have it on the lowest settings and it hasn't drained our batteries (iPhones) yet. I've not had to use tech support either.

If I'd had a wired doorbell I'd have preferred the Nest version. A lot more expensive but better quality when comparing Ring to my friend's Nest.
    Thanks KimP , SisterBliss thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stratobuddy View Post
    You can get the doorbell for £89 in a few places (when I last looked) but the spare battery would be a good extra, and is not cheap.

Unless you pay a subscription, it can't record events that take place while you are out.

I don't have a smartphone so I don't know whether this can record events.

So if I bought one, I could only see who was at the door if I am actually at home (on my ipad) and I could equally well just look out of the window.

So if I bought one, I could only see who was at the door if I am actually at home (on my ipad) and I could equally well just look out of the window.>>

<< Or the spy hole?

So really all we need is a dog, or pretend beware of dog sign, plus a spyhole/window/nosey neighbour!

Aren't we a great team? Dragons Den here we come!

Quote Originally Posted by alter ego View Post
    I bought one a while back and find it brilliant.

It is a little slow sometimes (lowest settings), but it's saved me so much hassle with getting to our (not very) local sorting office to pick up failed deliveries after I've not been able to get to the door in time.

It's also saved me the hassle of having to get to the door to answer it to people I don't want to answer it to (charity collectors etc.).

It comes into it's own when there are dodgy characters around that ring the bell just to see if there's someone in - we've had an explosion of tarmac layers/roofers/gutter cleaners/tree surgeons looking for work lately. None are local. I suspect most not legitimate as pre-Ring days I'd be sitting in my living room at the back of the house and be surprised to see young men in my garden scouting around. When challenged they'd say they'd knocked the door but I know they hadn't.

We have it on the lowest settings and it hasn't drained our batteries (iPhones) yet. I've not had to use tech support either.

If I'd had a wired doorbell I'd have preferred the Nest version. A lot more expensive but better quality when comparing Ring to my friend's Nest.

I guess it depends on the users requirements, & the activity in the area where one lives....
    Last edited by Sazza; 09-09-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SisterBliss View Post
    So if I bought one, I could only see who was at the door if I am actually at home (on my ipad) and I could equally well just look out of the window.>>

<< Or the spy hole?

So really all we need is a dog, or pretend beware of dog sign, plus a spyhole/window/nosey neighbour!

Aren't we a great team? Dragons Den here we come!
    I bought a set of CD's from Q that made household noises to play when you went out.

It seemed a good idea at the time I ordered them, but I've never used them, because, with a bit of thought, it means leaving your CD player running continuously. By the time you got back from a 2 week holiday, it would be completely worn out.

And not only that, if a burglar heard household noises, chatter, children playing, etc etc at 3 in the morning, it would probably tell him that there was nobody in.
    Likes Elliementary , shopperholic liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

There's a similar one with good reviews on Amazon for 28.70. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Accfly-Wire...video+doorbell

Post Thanks / Like

ADVERTISING

I have difficulty walking. By the time I'd get to the door, whoever knocked would be gone. A 30 mile round trip to my Sorting Office is annoying and expensive, especially if I ask a neighbour to take me if OH is away. I feel I have to give them extra money for their time. Our posties never have time to wait for me to get to the door and won't parcels on the doorstep. Even re-arranging for the next day doesn't guarantee me being able to get to the door in time unless I fancy sitting there from 10-11:30 as that's their delivery window.

It's paid for itself over by my wasted Sorting Office trips, so yes, for me it works.

It's also a reassurance for me as I spend a lot of time on my own at night when OH is away working. We have a rough estate not too far away and Halloween is a nightmare for me. Or at least it was. Last year I got to tell them to bugger off from my bedroom, watching them on my phone as they jumped to hear a voice come from nowhere

It probably won't work this year, but the video of them jumping and running was priceless!

It's great if you're away from home a lot or can't get to the door. It also has a proximity alarm which tells me if there's anyone coming close to the house. This is another great feature as when it goes off I can have a look. I had plant pots stolen from outside my front door last summer and although it hasn't happened this year, at least I have a better chance of seeing anyone having a go again.

I was assaulted years ago and suffered PTSD. I'm still very jumpy and not being very mobile leaves me feeling nervous when I'm on my own. Ring just makes me feel a bit safer.

ETA: I also use a remote control socket (not wifi) that can switch a light on in the front of the house if Ring alerts me that someone is passing close by. We get quite a few drunks passing by in the early hours of the morning (on their way back home to the rough estate I assume). My house looks empty, but a light switching on that looks like they've disturbed someone has deterred them so far from peeing over my front door as they have a neighbour's house recently.

Yes, I am aware I sound like a nosy, nervous old biddy. Probably because I am (apart from the old bit!)
    Thanks iloveshopping , Akimbo thanked for this post
    Likes Elliementary , stratobuddy liked this post