Orla Kiely ceases trading.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45576044

"Fashion and homeware retailer Orla Kiely has closed its retail stores and website, becoming the latest victim of the difficult retail landscape.

Orla Kiely ceased trading on Monday after its parent company, Kiely Rowan, went into administration.

The retailer's stores on the King's Road and Seven Dials in London, and Kildare in Ireland, have closed.

However, Orla Kiely Home and Design-branded accessories and homeware will still be sold through partners."

Visit the link above for the full story, but I presume it'll still be on QVC then?

Another casualty.Don’t think they diversified enough it takes clever design & merchandising to keep faithful customers going & attract new ones.It’s a hard life out there pleased I can just look these days!One or two Orla K piece is enough then people move on.

Another casualty.Don’t think they diversified enough it takes clever design & merchandising to keep faithful customers going & attract new ones.It’s a hard life out there pleased I can just look these days!One or two Orla K piece is enough then people move on.

Designed for a niche market & always reminded me of the Hornsea Saffron coffee set my parents had in the 70s.

I cant imagine anything worse than a houseful of Orla Kiely. I often wonder who came up with the daisy design first in the 60's - Mary Quant or Orla Kiely !

Although best known for the colourful stylised designs, she also designed some lovely leather bags and clothes. I’ve had two bags, one of which I still own and love. I have a friend who’s nuts about the stem design and has a house full of it - she’ll be gutted!

Oh well... that's how it goes. Her stuff was all quite samey-samey geometric prints and stylised birds / retro pastiches.

A stall in Chelmsford market sells bags in Orla Kiely (and Cath Kidston) “look alike” patterns. Obviously not such good quality fabric nor manufacture but cheap enough for women who like to replace their bags every so often. Im not condoning fake goods, these bags are obviously not sold as genuine.

Sorry for anyone who likes her designs but I think they are just ugly. Like 60s/70s wallpaper.

Absolutely, & the designs in the 1970s were particularly ugly. However, it was the decade when I was totally in love with David Cassidy so I'll forgive it & its avocado bathroom suites.

Looks like a big toilet in the middle of the room :mysmilie_17: I do like the wall colours but not the price tag. Stupid money for an apartment and I don't care where it is.

CC

I don't know who David Cassidy is, but I've seen avocado bath suites - and I really like them. Look at this fab property in the Kew / Richmond area and how it's got lovely avocado hues everywhere:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61593028.html

Lovely Julius, very similar colour to my kitchen dining area. I am old enough to remember avocado bathroom suites but must admit I prefer white. Leave your bathroom colours to the walls and cupboards.

My first home on my own I chose an Avocado suite (70’s) it was a toss up between that and a chocolate brown, imagine!My avocado bathroom was decorated with a Laura Ashley small flower wallpaper & curtains in pink on white ground.Also had carpet on the floor.Next new home was late 80’s and chose ‘Whisper Peach’ suite with the Austrian blinds which I made.Now have walk in shower & obviously a white suite.Remember Sun King?

1982 was my first house and I chose a navy blue bathroom suite. :mysmilie_19:It was a complete nightmare to keep shiny. A white suite cost extra, which we couldn't really afford at the time.

I also chose pale cream carpets throughout, first and last time I have ever lived with fitted carpets.

Oh myself and my late first hubby bought a house with a burgundy bathroom suite which was all the rage back then and the downstairs cloakroom had an avocado coloured toilet and sink. I now shudder at the memory lol.

My first home on my own I chose an Avocado suite (70’s) it was a toss up between that and a chocolate brown, imagine!My avocado bathroom was decorated with a Laura Ashley small flower wallpaper & curtains in pink on white ground.Also had carpet on the floor.Next new home was late 80’s and chose ‘Whisper Peach’ suite with the Austrian blinds which I made.Now have walk in shower & obviously a white suite.Remember Sun King?

Great descriptions & yes, I do remember Sun King. I absolutely detest avocados & anything remotely connected, however, the combination of green, pink & white is lovely & you made a wise choice.

I don't know who David Cassidy is, but I've seen avocado bath suites - and I really like them. Look at this fab property in the Kew / Richmond area and how it's got lovely avocado hues everywhere:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61593028.html

Julius, I'm amazed. David Cassidy was a teen idol in the early 70s, in my opinion he was beyond gorgeous & I had thousands of photos,books & magazines of & about him & every record he made. My mother went into orbit when I glued a montage of pictures all over my wardrobe &, in the days when we only had transistor radios, I walked around with mine glued to the side of my head, completely in a dream when listening to him. He died last November & without wanting to sound dramatic I can say his songs were the sountrack to my teens.

Oh myself and my late first hubby bought a house with a burgundy bathroom suite which was all the rage back then and the downstairs cloakroom had an avocado coloured toilet and sink. I now shudder at the memory lol.

Yes I had a friend with a Burgundy suite it showed every mark, a nightmare! Lucky I didn’t go for the choc brown option.

Latest posts

Back