Dennis by Dennis Basso

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

maymorganlondon

Registered Shopper
After years of QVC coyly alluding to DB dressing clean for the red carpet, they have finally got him to bring a range of clothing rather than just outerwear. Anyone else seen it?

I've got it on mute in the background and I still find him uncomfortable though, even when silent!

As summer ends, the nights draw in, the leaves take on their autumnal hues & this individual returns to our screens. Odious beyond belief.

He even designs wedding dresses - I’ve seen them on one of those US wedding dress shows ....Say yes to the dress. Unfortunately I say big NO to anything DB because of his use of real fur. I won’t even watch him on QVC.

Personally I think he'd be great were he cast as a pantomime villain. Alas I suspect gassing and skinning little creatures is far more lucrative for him. I don't think he's a very nice person.

Couldn't care less. Really don't see any difference between wearing leather Clarks shoes or Emu sheepskin and wearing fur. The animal still got it. The differentiation just seems like sentimentality and virtue signalling. Basso is a bore but hardly Hitler. Given he only brings fake fur to QVC I don't really see the problem.

Couldn't care less. Really don't see any difference between wearing leather Clarks shoes or Emu sheepskin and wearing fur. The animal still got it. The differentiation just seems like sentimentality and virtue signalling. Basso is a bore but hardly Hitler. Given he only brings fake fur to QVC I don't really see the problem.

I think the difference is how the skin/fur is obtained. Leather, deer skin and sheepskin is what's left after the meat industry has had its share after mostly "humanely" killing the animal but with Furriers, the likes of Basso, breed animals solely for their fur and are mostly skinned alive to save time and keep costs down, I think that's the difference. I'm the opposite though, I really do care and see a massive problem with it.

I don’t wear leather or sheepskin and I don’t eat meat or any other animal products so it’s not just sentimentality. But I also agree with shopperholic’s post. It’s not just DB I boycott but other manufacturers who use real fur eg Bob Mackie and Rino and Pelle.

The only time I've ever said or written "I couldn't care less" is when I've heard about someone who is evil having something bad happen to them. I'm glad that I care & even more that others do too.

The only time I've ever said or written "I couldn't care less" is when I've heard about someone who is evil having something bad happen to them. I'm glad that I care & even more that others do too.

Oh I definitely agree T, on those occasions I couldn't care less either. If something bad ever happened to Dennis Bastardo I'd consider it a nice big fat dose of Karma :mysmilie_3:

I don’t wear leather or sheepskin and I don’t eat meat or any other animal products so it’s not just sentimentality...

Well at least you have some consistency. I eat a plant food diet too (vegan, most of the time) and do not buy leather. The anti-fur brigade are usually happy to wear leather and chomp on lambkin. It's personal choice, of course, and at least some are making an effort - not that any of our hands are completely clean - but it is so easy to rail against fur (something that most people don't use every day or even every month) and yet gnaw on chicken and buy a new leather handbag. Mostly virtue signalling at no personal cost, in my estimation.

Why do some people always feel the need to insult others who care about the atrocities surrounding the fur industry? I just don't get it, I really don't. There's a world of difference in how animals are treated between the two industries regarding obtaining leather goods and fur coats, that's from someone who's been a vegetarian for over thrity years. Anyway, I'm not getting in to an argument over it, because there will always be the carers and the non-carers, that sadly will never change.

You don`t have to be a vegan/vegetarian to have a moral compass regarding animal welfare. A while ago a large animal home in nearby Manchester caught fire and hundreds of dogs were rescued and people dashed down there to help, give them temporary homes and do what they could. I daresay lots of those people ate meat but they still cared.
My son`s Mother in Law is a sheep farmer in Wales. She cries when a ewe dies in childbirth, she spends weeks without sleep hand rearing lambs and she spends 12 hours a day in the depth of Winter cracking the ice on water troughs or taking out feed to the sheep and ponies on the hillside when the rest of us are tucked up in bed. She eats meat too but she cares how her animals are reared and slaughtered.
I`ve seen how animals are reared for fur and minks are squashed 20 to a cage unable to lie down and actually begin to gnaw on each other. How pythons are bloated with gallons of water whilst still alive so they`re easier to skin. How foxes are shoved into cages way too small and how people like Basso buy from Poland, Russia, China, Vietnam for dirt cheap prices and where animal welfare is non existant.
Yes I eat meat but I care how it`s reared, how it`s slaughtered and where it comes from. I wouldn`t eat a dog which was cruelly captured on a street then boiled alive, I wouldn`t wear a coat which was made from fox or mink but I will wear shoes and clothes which are a by product from the food chain. I buy my meat from reputable sources and I don`t mind paying a bit over the odds to do so. I make no apologies for eating it and nor should I. We have choices and within those choices we have further choices. I choose to eat meat but I also choose where to buy it from and I choose to ensure its from a reputable source. My conscience is clear.

You don`t have to be a vegan/vegetarian to have a moral compass regarding animal welfare. A while ago a large animal home in nearby Manchester caught fire and hundreds of dogs were rescued and people dashed down there to help, give them temporary homes and do what they could. I daresay lots of those people ate meat but they still cared.
My son`s Mother in Law is a sheep farmer in Wales. She cries when a ewe dies in childbirth, she spends weeks without sleep hand rearing lambs and she spends 12 hours a day in the depth of Winter cracking the ice on water troughs or taking out feed to the sheep and ponies on the hillside when the rest of us are tucked up in bed. She eats meat too but she cares how her animals are reared and slaughtered.
I`ve seen how animals are reared for fur and minks are squashed 20 to a cage unable to lie down and actually begin to gnaw on each other. How pythons are bloated with gallons of water whilst still alive so they`re easier to skin. How foxes are shoved into cages way too small and how people like Basso buy from Poland, Russia, China, Vietnam for dirt cheap prices and where animal welfare is non existant.
Yes I eat meat but I care how it`s reared, how it`s slaughtered and where it comes from. I wouldn`t eat a dog which was cruelly captured on a street then boiled alive, I wouldn`t wear a coat which was made from fox or mink but I will wear shoes and clothes which are a by product from the food chain. I buy my meat from reputable sources and I don`t mind paying a bit over the odds to do so. I make no apologies for eating it and nor should I. We have choices and within those choices we have further choices. I choose to eat meat but I also choose where to buy it from and I choose to ensure its from a reputable source. My conscience is clear.

Vienna, thank you. You're absolutely right, some people seem to think it's got to be one or the other, can't have empathy, but thank you, that post is absolutely spot on.

Vienna, Your post was wonderful - balanced, compassionate & informative. Thank you.

I choose to avoid any animal products to eat or wear but I also respect those who eat meat but avoid real fur. It all helps and the fur and reptile skin industry is particularly cruel.

Latest posts

Back