Meat hamper alert!! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Like the old adverts for Scandinavian beers/lagers - which said in small writing ......brewed in the UK.

Post Thanks / Like

ADVERTISING
    For Christmas I will be doing a meal in my slow cooker - the usual organic beef, leeks, carrots, onions, parsnips, mushrooms, broccoli, baby sweetcorn, green beans. I will serve it with a mountain of mash with a well of Lurpak butter and a grind of black pepper. Costs about 8 and it sorts out my meal for Boxing Day too. Been doing it for years and it works well so I'm not changing it. I don't eat pork, chicken or sausages of any description so a meat hamper would not be something for me.
    Likes SisterBliss liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vienna View Post
    Your local butcher relies on customers returning time after time. You are his bread and butter and you are not faceless to him so he wants to please you.
    These large wholesale type places employ a number of people and I daresay some of them won`t give a toss whether they do a good or a bad job when cutting or packing your meat. Plus I should imagine some of them will be Seasonal workers there for a few weeks at the busiest time of year. It will probably be a large warehouse or factory kind of building using a conveyor belt system, part of it automated and totally impersonal.
    There was an article in the paper this week about yet another meat supplier, a millionaire by all accounts who`se company was selling frozen chicken as fresh and advertising that their beef and lamb was British when in fact in originated from abroad and wasn`t fully traceable and was mis labelled. He and his wife have been found guilty of fraud and are due to be sentenced in November in Warwickshire.
    No matter how QVC put a spin on their new supplier and how they`ll trot out how this will be yet another family firm with strong local links and pride in their history blah blah blah, the truth of the matter is it will be a large company out to make as much profit as possible and running on an industrial estate with many could care less employees. The image Q will portray of a big friendly butcher in his stripey apron overseeing how his beef and lamb carcasses are treated with care as only the best will do for their customers etc is nothing but a big fat lie. These types of businesses only care about the number of zeros in their bank accounts and how quickly and cheaply they can churn out what is essentially mass produced food.
    Tell it like it is, love....
    Likes Susie Wusie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vienna View Post
    Your local butcher relies on customers returning time after time. You are his bread and butter and you are not faceless to him so he wants to please you.
    These large wholesale type places employ a number of people and I daresay some of them won`t give a toss whether they do a good or a bad job when cutting or packing your meat. Plus I should imagine some of them will be Seasonal workers there for a few weeks at the busiest time of year. It will probably be a large warehouse or factory kind of building using a conveyor belt system, part of it automated and totally impersonal.
    There was an article in the paper this week about yet another meat supplier, a millionaire by all accounts who`se company was selling frozen chicken as fresh and advertising that their beef and lamb was British when in fact in originated from abroad and wasn`t fully traceable and was mis labelled. He and his wife have been found guilty of fraud and are due to be sentenced in November in Warwickshire.
    No matter how QVC put a spin on their new supplier and how they`ll trot out how this will be yet another family firm with strong local links and pride in their history blah blah blah, the truth of the matter is it will be a large company out to make as much profit as possible and running on an industrial estate with many could care less employees. The image Q will portray of a big friendly butcher in his stripey apron overseeing how his beef and lamb carcasses are treated with care as only the best will do for their customers etc is nothing but a big fat lie. These types of businesses only care about the number of zeros in their bank accounts and how quickly and cheaply they can churn out what is essentially mass produced food.

I hope those two people get in to a lot of trouble.....

Post Thanks / Like

you can't beat good quality meat. I would rather eat less and have nicer meat.

Post Thanks / Like

Althams Butchers 5.3kg Festive British Meat Hamper 79.92 + post
    http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.as...ms.item.808270

1 x Beef Topside Joint (1000g)
    1 x Turkey Breast Roll (2000g)
    1 x Gammon Joint (1000 g)
    1 x 16 pc Pork Cranberry Chipolata (454g)
    1 x Pork Cranberry Chestnut stuffing (454g)
    1 x Unsmoked Streaky Bacon (454g)

Post Thanks / Like

oh dear !!!

heres some info to all those interested in ordering

http://www.althamsbutchers.co.uk/History
    Last edited by Sazza; 09-10-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERCOOLWILLOW View Post
    Althams Butchers 5.3kg Festive British Meat Hamper 79.92 + post
    http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.as...ms.item.808270

1 x Beef Topside Joint (1000g)
    1 x Turkey Breast Roll (2000g)
    1 x Gammon Joint (1000 g)
    1 x 16 pc Pork Cranberry Chipolata (454g)
    1 x Pork Cranberry Chestnut stuffing (454g)
    1 x Unsmoked Streaky Bacon (454g)

I would say around 30-40 for all the contents from your local butcher for that price.
    Beef topside 12 per kg
    Turkey 7 per kg
    Gammon 7 per kg
    The rest about 7.50
    Thanks KimP thanked for this post
    Likes Susie Wusie , boffy , SisterBliss liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

ADVERTISING

Quote Originally Posted by postmanpat68 View Post
    I would say around 30-40 for all the contents from your local butcher for that price.
    Beef topside 12 per kg
    Turkey 7 per kg
    Gammon 7 per kg
    The rest about 7.50

Thanks, Pat!!! Send my love to Jess, btw.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!