Mascara

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ERICS MUM

Registered Shopper
First of all, I’m 63 - is this too old to wear eye make up ?

Secondly and depending on the opinions on the above, could anyone recommend a good mascara that will give me length ? QVC and high street brands.

Thanks

I am 70 on the 1st of November, I don't wear mascara or eye make up everyday but use kohl liner on the inside of my upper eyelids. I have benefit and Collection mascara, find them both ok.

benefit are good go to a counter and try out the mascara though...

Yes they are, but I find their masc's way to spiky & stiff - everything sticks together. My eyes dislike Benefit, plus the Masc's can be hard to remove. I like the traditional bristly brushes for natural fluffy lashes. Here's what I think you'll like if you have the same preferences as me. Try:

High St:

Maxfactor 2000 Calorie Mascara: An old favourite - been around ages - can only be a good thing! Check the wand for real bristles - there are so many different sorts. I'm guessing under £12

Maybeline, but not The Original Great Lash (pink bottle) I liked The Collosal - big yellow tube, waterproof! but my eyes didn't complain! Note that my eyes are sooo stroppy that they even complain with Liz Earle eyebright!!!!! (Please someone tell me what I'm doing wrong!) Again less than a tenner I reckon.

Of course It's V hard to test these, unless you are sneaky in Boots & somethings been left open. ( Beware that this is not recommended if you are prone to infections/have low immunity. ) But at the £10 mark you can always gift it on to someone (Binmen???) obvs don't pretend its new.

At the counters you can really test. Lancome Hypnose gets good reviews -for me - high street just as good. Also try Clinique - they used to have a Long Pretty Lashes which was very gentle & nourishing, but not very waterproof. Good thing is that they are hypo alergenic.

Boots counter:

Various here, check that wand for real bristles. They have a midnight mascara, & a lovely one aimed at a healthy natural look. I can't remember the exact name but have a look. Watch out for the good offers they do. There is often a masc. in the Boots advent calendar!

I love the look of the New Bare Mins Lashtopia. I've not tried, but it looks lovely on the telly & the claims tick my boxes.

Sorry for the essay, I hope this helps. I've often read that there is no need to fork out loads for a great mascara on counter as there are plenty on the DHS The only benefit is that you can try it first. I loved my Maybelines! (DHS)

Tip: If you are quite pale sometimes a brown mascara is much more flattering on a more mature face. If you are more olive/warm complexion, then you can take deeper colours. Brown is V flattering on a paler/mature/blue eyes. If you are the same as the former, but with green eyes, try aubergine/deep purpley colour. It really brings out the green.

I think mascara, brow, & soft smudgy pencil is nice on an older eye. Piriot (Q) has really baggy eyes when they cover them in shadow I thin she looks better without!

Let me know how you go!

PS If I had to 'call it' I'd say Maxfactor, Bare Mins, Boots, Maybeline, depending on your Budget.

Last edited:

Secondly and depending on the opinions on the above, could anyone recommend a good mascara that will give me length ? QVC and high street brands.

Thanks

Firstly, NO. Secondly, my first question when buying anything from cleaning products to make up & back, is whether it's cruelty free so I can only comment on brands I'm sure about & have used. I always wear M&S Autograph products, their mascaras are good & don't break the bank. I also buy Barry M & Pixi from M&S & elf from Superdrug. For a bit more oomph I love Kat Von D's 'Too Faced Better Than Sex' in black. On the Q 'Lashtopia Volumising' from Bareminerals is a really good choice. Flutter those lashes, EM.

Have a mooch at the site in the link below and there`s 10% discount for new customers. Lots of info on the site even if you decide to buy other brands and the products on the site are specifically for older ladies. I`m in my 60`s and rarely wear makeup now I`m retired but a big no no for me is black mascara, brown mascara looks much better IMO.
https://www.lookfabulousforever.com/uk/

Wash your mouth out Eric'sMum, of course, you are not too old.

Many swear by Lancome mascaras, I wear brown more natural on me as I am blond. I do have some black as well.

Clinique does a nice one lashes are soft and not stiff as will some High Impact Mascara. Guerlain MaxiLash is also a great mascara. Sorry, I don't do cheaper ones as I always end up throwing them away.

I’ve never been good with make up and particularly envious of those who can do lovely eyes.

Mascara is the only thing I always use but panda eyes have been a big problem. Benefit was great but I couldn’t remove the bliddy stuff and as I have ultra sensitive skin particularly around the cheek bones so 99.999% of removers caused mega problems for me.

Donna recommended Blinc and I’ve used it ever since. It does take a bit of getting used to (I find a clean old mascara brush helps any declogging) never has panda eyes and best of all it comes off with plain tap water. It’s basically tubes so when taking off it looks as if your lashes are coming out but they aren’t!

Q did it for a while but I just buy on line when I need it.

I’m 71 &would never go out without eye makeup.I like the Benefit mascaras the only thing I never wear is eyeliner, I think it make the eyes look smaller.

My best advice would be to buy a travel sized mascara. I don't wear mascara everyday and it will go clumpy, regardless of cost and also if you "buy into" the 3 month thing for health & hygiene reasons, that's another plus point.
Personally I have a travel sized Bobbi Brown mascara atm and it's great.
I tend to purchase them on-line.

I use a tubing mascara, doesn't smudge and easy to remove with warm water and a cloth.
It's Estee Lauder double wear lengthening mascara, it doesn't lengthen that much though, but I don't really want that look anyway.

Thanks
Firstly,absolutely not!!!!

I can no longer wear mascara as my eyelashes just about died during chemo and now just break off at the slightest thing. But if they didn't I would definitely wear it. I do wear kohl eyeliner and sometimes eye shadow but sadly can no longer finish off with mascara. I used to wear a Clinique of Max Factor one years ago but before it all went to pot I could get on with almost any brand.

You're definitely not too old!
I have very pale and sparse lashes due to an underactive thyroid and black mascara looks ridiculous on me. Years ago I used to be able to buy a grey mascara in France made by Maybelline which really suited me, but sadly it was discontinued. I have managed to find one by Yves St Laurent but it is not widely available so I often end up with a brown colour which I think is kinder to us of a certain age.

Of the various QVC brands of mascara I used to love the Mally one in the white tube, but the replacement versions aren't as good on me.
I foolishly bought an It Cosmetics TSV on auto-delivery and didn't think I'd ever get through all the mascaras but it works well on my invisible fair lashes making them visible in one or two coats. It's this one; I haven't tried their other ones.

Oh, just to let you all know. In a friend's and she watches the Kardashians one of their make up artists was making one of them up and used Tarte Lights Camera mascara. I recognised the packaging.

I only wear mascara on my top lashes, long ago a makeup artist said it opened your eyes up. I just use a soft liner along the bottom lashes or eyeshadow.

WOW !

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such detailed answers, (lashings of eye-deas you could say :doh::doh:)
I will pop to Boots tomorrow to start with. Good point about brown instead of black. I’ll report back !

(Got myself into a very deep rut and gradually trying to climb my way out !)

I'm a couple of years older than you and wear mascara. I like Bare Minerals as it is not tested on animals. I've tried loads and find this the best. Urban Decay is also ok but I prefer Bare Minerals.

(Got myself into a very deep rut and gradually trying to climb my way out !)[/QUOTE]

I hope you get closer to the top of that rut every day :flower:

One way of getting plenty to try is to visit the beauty counters for the different brands. Avoid Benefit unless you like pushy hard sell.

Latest posts

Back