guess who

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ReAlly the only milk I take is in my overnight oats.

Oh Shopper! No matter what else chips HAVE to be salted (no vinegar though makes them soggy).

Not often we disagree:mysmilie_50:

Oh I agree definitely no vinegar......Euw!!
And yes we are like two peas in a pod my Forum buddy, always agree. :mysmilie_3:

I worked in a high school where the students' favourite meal was cheese, chips & gravy.

Chip shops down here in Sussex don't seem to sell gravy!

Madness!

Where I grew up our local chippy had the same vat-sized pan of gravy on a low light since 1957...the thickest gravy I've ever encountered! I'm sure they just topped up the pan if it ran low or started to completely solidify!

They did so well from school kids spending during term time that they'd close for the Summer and go on a cruise!

No gravy in fish & chip shops here in Essex either. I’ve never tasted chips with curry sauce. It was popular in Manchester where I used to visit our office, I always resisted (easy).

Curry sauce is a fair substitute for gravy, but I love a crispy chip soaking up gravy! Mind you I would stick to S&V with fish, gravy with pies. Oh yes I has a refined palate dontcha know!

I don’t know how people take things like curry sauce on their chips. For me they have to be ultra crisp

I hate anything soggy, vinegar on chips, bread in soup , cant stand gravy, even eat yorkshire puds dry. Hubby loves gravy, vinegar or curry sauce on chips, ugh .

The husband likes......get ready.....curry sauce on fish and chips from the chippy, yuk! Never in all my days........:puke:

Anyone who has watched Soccer AM knows that "Northern Boys Love Gravy"!

:mysmilie_19:

is coincidentally on duty when there's food about ? Well, there's only one isn't there, Craig. God, he clearly doesn't eat at home, the way he stuffs himself when its a 'food' day. The umming, aaahing with closed eyes (a la Andi Peters) is Oscar worthy, and makes me switch off.
I wouldn't put it past him checking out the future duty rosta's, and then jumping up and down clapping hands when there's food to be eaten.

Can imagine him bringing in a load of little Lock 'n' Lock boxes to take the leftovers home.

Oh, and if I ask for more sugar - blimey I'm the devil incarnate, and I'm grudgingly given a couple of stamp size sachets !

Don't get me started on the Sugar Tax! I hate the taste of artificial sweeteners so what I can drink has been severely limited. I pray that some manufacturers will come to their senses or having seen a fall in sales will revert back to the 100% sugar recipes as most still have a diet version.

With me it is salt. I blame the poncy chefs who have decided that their taste buds are perfect and they can dictate to me that extra salt must never be provided.

Even in marks cafe you can get as much bliddy sugar but they have removed all salt unless you ask for it to be brought to your table especially by which time your toastie is stone cold.

IMO all food needs to be seasoned to bring out the flavour but it is very much down to personal taste.

My favourite place for coffee is a Wetherspoons pub as I can pay my money get my cup and make my own coffee or tea just how I like it. It’s far superior to Costa imo. And half the price so for me win win but I do like the individual small tea and coffee cafes run by local people with homemade food and drinks.

As a tea drinker much as I like the 'Spoons it's a bit of a faff. Get tea from the machine, go back to seat with tea to let it brew then return to machine to add milk. As I am usually with my parents who are in their 80's I'm up and down a lot getting refills. It would make such a difference if they provided milk in a small jug but I guess then there would be wastage.

For anyone at school in the 50’s they may be like Mr L and hate milk as they put the free bottles on radiators in the winter.

This made the milk lukewarm and slightly off so he puked it up, got slapped (those were the days!)and refused milk ever since.

I am also one of those scarred for life by lukewarm school milk and still can't drink it plain but since the Sugar Tax I've had to find other things to drink. I've always liked milkshakes so now drink big glasses of ice-cold milk with a level dessertspoon of banana milkshake powder (tried real banana but didn't work). So from someone who barely got through a pint a week I'm now drinking at least a pint a day! Just hope this isn't affected by the Sugar Tax as well as I see they're extending it to sweets & chocolate.

ReAlly the only milk I take is in my overnight oats.

:mysmilie_466: (or is it just my dirty mind?!?!?!)

I try not to go crazy with the salt.....Ready meals etc are full of it, but if cooking from scratch (which of course I always do...HA!) it is necessary. Salad tastes sooooo much better with it. Imagine no salt on the tomatoes or cucumber!!!

IMO ready meals are no longer full of salt (thanks to the Nanny State!) as I now have to salt them which I never used to.

They were still doing that lukewarm milk thing in the 60's and they were still slapping primary school kids as well :mysmilie_10: I never used to add salt to anything but now I do so it must be missing.

CC

I recently went into a pub with some friends, and I asked for a lager. An uncapped bottle was slapped on the counter in front of me. In my best Joanna Lumley voice I said " do I look as though I'm the type to drink straight from a bottle? because the last time I did I was 6 years old and it was milk with a straw".

I was sheepishly given a glass. Honestly !!!!

I recently went into a pub with some friends, and I asked for a lager. An uncapped bottle was slapped on the counter in front of me. In my best Joanna Lumley voice I said " do I look as though I'm the type to drink straight from a bottle? because the last time I did I was 6 years old and it was milk with a straw".

I was sheepishly given a glass. Honestly !!!!

Good for you, the way this country has become so scruffy with ever-deceasing standards is appalling. I love the glorious Joanna Lumley & saw her recently in her one woman show, absolutely fabulous, darling.

I absolutely hated school milk and I could not drink a glass since, even cannot watch someone else drinking milk.

I'm with you, yuck!

It was probably a good way of getting vitamins into children. Horrid little brats! Much of the population is affected by lack of vitamin D. Maybe they could have made it more exciting by offering a dash or choc / strawb syrup?

It was probably a good way of getting vitamins into children. Horrid little brats! Much of the population is affected by lack of vitamin D. Maybe they could have made it more exciting by offering a dash or choc / strawb syrup?

I was NOT, & never have been a 'Horrid liitle brat', just a child who didn't like milk.

I was NOT, & never have been a 'Horrid liitle brat', just a child who didn't like milk.

I'm sure you weren't! I think J has his tongue in his cheek here.

I probably was a horrid little brat.....Even the most adorable little darlings have their moments of 'expressing themselves'.....(supermarket floor tantrums anyone? - before they moved the sweeties?)

Latest posts

Back