guess who

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
is coincidentally on duty when there's food about ? Well, there's only one isn't there, Craig. God, he clearly doesn't eat at home, the way he stuffs himself when its a 'food' day. The umming, aaahing with closed eyes (a la Andi Peters) is Oscar worthy, and makes me switch off.
I wouldn't put it past him checking out the future duty rosta's, and then jumping up and down clapping hands when there's food to be eaten.

Alway nice to get a bit of free grub! Well usually it is. We had a meeting at work today the the Greek salad I ordered came without olives - because "some people don't like them." I argued that the salad was ordered for me - and I DO like them. I am totally sick of this "lowest common denominator" culture of trying to please everyone. Some places only serve halal meat because they think that will please everyone. Infinity Foods Café in Brighton has gone totally vegan so I can't have milk in my cup of tea anymore. I'm sick of it! I certainly didn't like the "weak salad." Then I went to the gym and after my weights I thought I'd do a bit of cardio on the cross trainer. What was the only tv channel that would come up on the screen? QVC of course!

Anyhow I digress! Craig is looking a little tubby. Being of a stocky body type he ought to think a little more before wolfing down all that fare.

Alway nice to get a bit of free grub! Well usually it is. We had a meeting at work today the the Greek salad I ordered came without olives - because "some people don't like them." I argued that the salad was ordered for me - and I DO like them. I am totally sick of this "lowest common denominator" culture of trying to please everyone. Some places only serve halal meat because they think that will please everyone. Infinity Foods Café in Brighton has gone totally vegan so I can't have milk in my cup of tea anymore. I'm sick of it! I certainly didn't like the "weak salad." Then I went to the gym and after my weights I thought I'd do a bit of cardio on the cross trainer. What was the only tv channel that would come up on the screen? QVC of course!

Anyhow I digress! Craig is looking a little tubby. Being of a stocky body type he ought to think a little more before wolfing down all that fare.

My bugbear is milk. Because half the world and his wife now only drin semi skimmed or skimmed, restaurants/pubs/coffee shops all dish up the stuff. When I ask for full cream I'm looked at as though I'd said the F word and of course they never stock it, (and yet they bring out the cream with the pudding!) but I just don't like adding cloudy water to my tea !!

Oh, and if I ask for more sugar - blimey I'm the devil incarnate, and I'm grudgingly given a couple of stamp size sachets !

My bugbear is milk. Because half the world and his wife now only drin semi skimmed or skimmed, restaurants/pubs/coffee shops all dish up the stuff. When I ask for full cream I'm looked at as though I'd said the F word and of course they never stock it, (and yet they bring out the cream with the pudding!) but I just don't like adding cloudy water to my tea !!

Oh, and if I ask for more sugar - blimey I'm the devil incarnate, and I'm grudgingly given a couple of stamp size sachets !

I am TOTALLY with you on that! I thought it was just me!!! I cannot STAND skimmed or semi. So many places now serve semi and it's getting harder to find full fat anywhere. Really drives me mad as there's nothing wrong with full fat - unless one drinks gallons of it. Tesco is the worst offender.

With me it is salt. I blame the poncy chefs who have decided that their taste buds are perfect and they can dictate to me that extra salt must never be provided.

Even in marks cafe you can get as much bliddy sugar but they have removed all salt unless you ask for it to be brought to your table especially by which time your toastie is stone cold.

I rarely eat anything sweet other than a very plain biscuit but apparently it’s ok to eat about a zillion calories of cake but never an extra pinch of salt.

I have resorted to carrying small sachets in my bag.

With me it is salt. I blame the poncy chefs who have decided that their taste buds are perfect and they can dictate to me that extra salt must never be provided.

Even in marks cafe you can get as much bliddy sugar but they have removed all salt unless you ask for it to be brought to your table especially by which time your toastie is stone cold.

I rarely eat anything sweet other than a very plain biscuit but apparently it’s ok to eat about a zillion calories of cake but never an extra pinch of salt.

I have resorted to carrying small sachets in my bag.

A little salt can bring out the flavour in food - particularly soups and stews. I have a salt and pepper mill at work. The pepper is almost used up whereas the salt mill is still full. It's only my colleague Ella who borrows it now and then. I like a little grind of pepper.

Worst thing here in London is trying to explain you want full fat milk in a coffee shop. Servers seems to speak some weird pidgin English.

It usually goes something like this:-

Me: Can I have a regular latte made with whole milk, please.
Server: Cold milk?
Me: No, I said whole!
Server: Cold?
Me: No! WHOLE!
Server: What you mean?
Me: I mean whole milk! Full fat! Lait entier! Su keturiu procentu pienu! Four percent! Milk from a cow!
Server: Is that to go?
Me: It's not "to go." It's to take away. This isn't America!
Server: You want to go?
Me: No, I'd like to have it here.

I only like SKIMMED milk in tea or coffee, but very often I am given semi or full.

I carry my own decaf tea bags just in case cafes don’t have any, which is often, my own sweeteners as I don’t use granulated or like Canderel and have my own skimmed milk as places I go to don’t have it, except costa as they do. So mostly I order a pot of boiled water :mysmilie_12:

I carry my own decaf tea bags just in case cafes don’t have any, which is often, my own sweeteners as I don’t use granulated or like Canderel and have my own skimmed milk as places I go to don’t have it, except costa as they do. So mostly I order a pot of boiled water :mysmilie_12:

You sound like me, a cheap date who carries a large bag of supplies!

Worst thing here in London is trying to explain you want full fat milk in a coffee shop. Servers seems to speak some weird pidgin English.

It usually goes something like this:-

Me: Can I have a regular latte made with whole milk, please.
Server: Cold milk?
Me: No, I said whole!
Server: Cold?
Me: No! WHOLE!
Server: What you mean?
Me: I mean whole milk! Full fat! Lait entier! Su keturiu procentu pienu! Four percent! Milk from a cow!
Server: Is that to go?
Me: It's not "to go." It's to take away. This isn't America!
Server: You want to go?
Me: No, I'd like to have it here.

:mysmilie_19:

Some of your writing reminds me of the late John Diamonds. He was such a mensch - I do miss him.

Su keturiu procentu pienu - Is this Russian? Polish?

How much do they charge for a pot of hot water?

You sound like me, a cheap date who carries a large bag of supplies!

:mysmilie_11:

Last edited by a moderator:
My favourite place for coffee is a Wetherspoons pub as I can pay my money get my cup and make my own coffee or tea just how I like it. It’s far superior to Costa imo. And half the price so for me win win but I do like the individual small tea and coffee cafes run by local people with homemade food and drinks.

I use full cream milk now for the last couple of years. my granddaughter was bought up on full fat milk and its good for her as she is very slim takes after the outlaws. I blame all this dairy intolerant stuff. yes there are people who are but everyones jumping on the same bandwagon even if they have not had a proper diagnosis

:mysmilie_19:

Some of your writing reminds me of the late John Diamonds. He was such a mensch - I do miss him.

Su keturiu procentu pienu - Is this Russian? Polish?

The coffee shop conversations are so difficult. I generally end up making my request in all the other languages I speak - namely French and Lithuanian. There was one Italian girl who thought I wanted "old" milk!!! She kept saying they only have fresh milk. I said "good, I would like fresh milk. She replied: "It cannot be fresh and old!" When she finally understood we both burst out laughing! The guy in my local Costa in Edgware is Czech - and always seems to know what I want without me having to ask.

I like my coffee black and very strong. Sometimes the strong bit is very hit and miss. Oh and it must be hot, god I hate it when is lukewarm.

The only Wetherspoons I went to was huge and mostly filled with loud mouthed louts (You were probably not at this particular pub at the time Bettyboo!) I would never return - well, maybe I would to have a coffee with you.

You wouldn't like the cappucino they serve in Italy, then. You have to ask for it 'molto caldo' - otherwise, it's tepid.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bane of my life is getting hot food and drink hot and cold food and drink cold.

Mr L despairs when we are out as he knows it will never be st the correct temperature. If you ask for something to be rectified they take one thing away for ages and by the time they return everything else has gone down the Suwannee.

Still, I’m perfect in all other ways!:mysmilie_11::mysmilie_50:

Latest posts

Back