guess who

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

With me it is salt. I blame the poncy chefs who have decided that their taste buds are perfect and they can dictate to me that extra salt must never be provided.

Even in marks cafe you can get as much bliddy sugar but they have removed all salt unless you ask for it to be brought to your table especially by which time your toastie is stone cold.

I rarely eat anything sweet other than a very plain biscuit but apparently it’s ok to eat about a zillion calories of cake but never an extra pinch of salt.

I have resorted to carrying small sachets in my bag.

I find when eating out, most food is way too salty for me. Probably because we use very little at home. Can't eat crisps anymore, so not a bad thing. Our Costa uses full fat milk unless you ask for semi. Full fat upsets my stomach so I have soya or semi skimmed.

I find when eating out, most food is way too salty for me. Probably because we use very little at home. Can't eat crisps anymore, so not a bad thing. Our Costa uses full fat milk unless you ask for semi. Full fat upsets my stomach so I have soya or semi skimmed.

I stopped using salt for 4 years and despite everyone saying I would get used to it, I can honestly say I never enjoyed a meal during those years. As I did it for blood pressure purposes and my doctor poohooded my efforts I thought WTF at least I might as well enjoy my food.

I try to eat fairly sensibly, little meat, lots of fish (of which I’m not that fussed) tons of fruit etc. Rarely have chocolate or puddings but if I had to give up crisps the pros would need to outweigh the cons by a zillion.

I really need more excerise though.

I am TOTALLY with you on that! I thought it was just me!!! I cannot STAND skimmed or semi. So many places now serve semi and it's getting harder to find full fat anywhere. Really drives me mad as there's nothing wrong with full fat - unless one drinks gallons of it. Tesco is the worst offender.
I absolutely love cold milk and often drink a glass of it (one of my friends can barely watch she hates milk so much, lol) but I must admit that I quite happily buy and drink semi-skimmed, I really cannot tell the difference. Or perhaps I mean I like it just as much as full fat. Now skimmed is another story! I find that revolting.

I absolutely love cold milk and often drink a glass of it (one of my friends can barely watch she hates milk so much, lol) but I must admit that I quite happily buy and drink semi-skimmed, I really cannot tell the difference. Or perhaps I mean I like it just as much as full fat. Now skimmed is another story! I find that revolting.

Here in England the semi-skimmed milk is 2% fat and to me is noticeably less creamy than full fat. In Lithuania the semi-skimmed milk is 2.5% fat and much more like full fat. That half a percent seems to make a lot of difference.

For anyone at school in the 50’s they may be like Mr L and hate milk as they put the free bottles on radiators in the winter.

This made the milk lukewarm and slightly off so he puked it up, got slapped (those were the days!)and refused milk ever since.

Snap! :mysmilie_3: In almost 53 years I've never once, not once added salt on to my food. The husband will put it on chips and I say to him why do that, don't you want to taste your chips instead of tasting salt, I also tell him the chips already have salt in them, he's not bothered though he just smiles and puts it on anyway. :mysmilie_17:

These days I often have oat milk on my porridge. It seems strange have oats in oat milk but I really like it. Asda do their own oat milk for only £1 and it's brilliant.

ReAlly the only milk I take is in my overnight oats.

Snap! :mysmilie_3: In almost 53 years I've never once, not once added salt on to my food. The husband will put it on chips and I say to him why do that, don't you want to taste your chips instead of tasting salt, I also tell him the chips already have salt in them, he's not bothered though he just smiles and puts it on anyway. :mysmilie_17:

Oh Shopper! No matter what else chips HAVE to be salted (no vinegar though makes them soggy).

Not often we disagree:mysmilie_50:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a cheap date too; I can't drink alcohol and avoid a range of food that don't agree with me (I'll suffer the consequences of chocolate occasionally though). The problem is these are staple gifts for people one doesn't know very well; so do I accept it graciously or mention it and appear ungrateful? Mostly I just pass things on but a few years ago I had an occasion to complain to a supermarket about an item and they sent me a bottle of wine. I emailed to thank them but mentioned that I don't drink. Ocado once sent me a box of chocolates for being a loyal customer for years (maybe they knew I never bought booze!)

For anyone at school in the 50’s they may be like Mr L and hate milk as they put the free bottles on radiators in the winter.

This made the milk lukewarm and slightly off so he puked it up, got slapped (those were the days!)and refused milk ever since.

Poor boy, I absolutely hated it too & would volunteer to do any tasks to get me away from 'milk time'. In my opinion putting it on the radiators was abuse & the thought of it still makes me queasy. My Mr T disagrees & will happpily drink a glass of milk but there's something disgusting about the sound of it being swallowed, even by him, & he's totally wonderful in every other way.

Poor boy, I absolutely hated it too & would volunteer to do any tasks to get me away from 'milk time'. In my opinion putting it on the radiators was abuse & the thought of it still makes me queasy. My Mr T disagrees & will happpily drink a glass of milk but there's something disgusting about the sound of it being swallowed, even by him, & he's totally wonderful in every other way.

A horror from my schooldays was when the lid of the locust tank was knocked off and they escaped. That’s when I ran down the corridor in horror. Why we had them I’ll never remember but I still shudder at the memory. We drank gallons of milk at home and I took the empties into school for the Billy Bottle campaign.

I try not to go crazy with the salt.....Ready meals etc are full of it, but if cooking from scratch (which of course I always do...HA!) it is necessary. Salad tastes sooooo much better with it. Imagine no salt on the tomatoes or cucumber!!!

I've just been reading a lot of posts above

The only semi-skimmed milk I use is on my breakfast cereal, but only because it's the cheapest milk (in 6 pint bottles). Because I have a mix of 4 cereals, the biggest proportion being muesli, I put the milk on about an hour before I eat it, as the muesli absorbs so muck. So it looks very sloppy at first, but is just right when I eat it.

Re salt, I don't put it on anything, chips included. I buy crisps with the packet of salt, but never use it.

Latest posts

Back