How bored are we?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

In the nine years I've watched things have definitely declined. I can't recall buying anything for months now. Some shows I watch and enjoy, like the Ruth Langsford shows, because she is a great professional, and communicates well. Too many great guests have been replaced. Most presenters have become aggressive and in some cases downright rude. The tsv has gone from an event to a non-event. The range of goods has declined, as well as the variety of brands.

Still, with so much awful stuff going on in the world, I like having QVC to escape to from the real world.

I couldn't agree more & the only saving grace is the fact that they are Planet Q & away from all the real world horrors.

I can't remember the last time I watched a whole show. I often turn on then off again.
I did see a piece on CNN on QVC and the US arm were looking into using different platforms to sell.

I used to always watch, and especially the TSV, I do still flick my it on now and again, but never watch a full show, and have gone from buying absolutely loads, to maybe one or two items this year

There's a big connection between watching and buying. I noticed that, in my days a QVC shopper, that if I didn't see it I didn't want it, it's exactly true when they say of out of sight out of mind, if I seen it, I wanted it, and that's exactly were QVC get you, you see something on the telly and all of a sudden it's in your mind and you then convince yourself you want/need it, It's how hypnosis works when you want to, say, pack in smoking, or lose weight, subliminally an idea is planted in your mind, and QVC know this, it's how they've made billions.

There's a big connection between watching and buying. I noticed that, in my days a QVC shopper, that if I didn't see it I didn't want it, it's exactly true when they say of out of sight out of mind, if I seen it, I wanted it, and that's exactly were QVC get you, you see something on the telly and all of a sudden it's in your mind and you then convince yourself you want/need it, It's how hypnosis works when you want to, say, pack in smoking, or lose weight, subliminally an idea is planted in your mind, and QVC know this, it's how they've made billions.

How right you are! It’s the same with DHS, if I don’t go into shops I don’t spend and don’t even think I’ve missed out.

At work I used to go for a walk at lunchtime but it was an absolute disaster as I kept popping into Poundland and bought crisps etc which I never thought about if I stayed at my desk. Swapped to early before shops opened and that stopped it.

Yes Lati that’s true that, if you don’t go in a shop you don’t buy, exactly the same as if you don’t pop the channel on. :mysmilie_3:

Prompted by this thread, I had a quick look at my account. The last thing I bought was the Peony TSV with the big vase & orchids, and before that was an ABC body wash kit, 6 months ago.
(However, in terms of body wash I've recently found the ABC is too drying on my old lady skin, and I'm now using Dove moisturising body wash, which is lovely and I can buy it very cheaply in 500ml bottles at Costco :mysmilie_59:)

We were out for most of yesterday so I only found this thread late last night. I've read all the replies this morning & I've come to the conclusion that ironically it's a lack of customer service that's their problem as it affects every aspect of their business -

. Sales staff who are only interested in themselves
. Astronomical P&P charges
. Clunky website
. Offers that don't 'offer' much & haven't been thought through so cause confusion for everyone
. Smug attiude

In fact the following would be a better summary for their mnemonic 'Questionable Vacuous Complacent'.

Well I’ll be.....just hopped on to QVC Style channel and for the first time ever they’ve got “repeat” in the corner, never mind it’s better late than never. Wonder if they’ll start doing it on the main channel for recorded bits and repeats like they’re supposed to? Stranger things eh. :mysmilie_17:

I bought a few things over the summer then one day wrote out my easy pays and am ticking them off.I will only order from QVC if I really want something and compare the price including P&P with anywhere else.As for watching the showsI flick on occasionally but have probably seen most of it before.It is repetitive and the P&P is a real put off.If they think people will do their Christmas shopping with them the P&P will be the cost of a holiday!

Well I’ll be.....just hopped on to QVC Style channel and for the first time ever they’ve got “repeat” in the corner, never mind it’s better late than never. Wonder if they’ll start doing it on the main channel for recorded bits and repeats like they’re supposed to? Stranger things eh. :mysmilie_17:

Hehe, they know they've been rumbled.

We were out for most of yesterday so I only found this thread late last night. I've read all the replies this morning & I've come to the conclusion that ironically it's a lack of customer service that's their problem as it affects every aspect of their business -

. Sales staff who are only interested in themselves
. Astronomical P&P charges
. Clunky website
. Offers that don't 'offer' much & haven't been thought through so cause confusion for everyone
. Smug attiude

In fact the following would be a better summary for their mnemonic 'Questionable Vacuous Complacent'.

And the new presenter has slotted right in with the family uses/needs this that and the other and everything is brilliant nonsense.

Agree about all the boring products etc. but the main reason I don't watch as often are the dreadful presenters.

Simon Biagi is a complete parody of a presenter.
Eilidh Nairn never stops talking.
Fake Katy Pullinger.
Jill Franks, screeching Pippa, the awful Chloe....I could go on, but It could take all day :Smile:

Agree about all the boring products etc. but the main reason I don't watch as often are the dreadful presenters.

Simon Biagi is a complete parody of a presenter.
Eilidh Nairn never stops talking.
Fake Katy Pullinger.
Jill Franks, screeching Pippa, the awful Chloe....I could go on, but It could take all day :Smile:

I'll take over from you - Ickle Claire, the increasingly rude Queen Julia &, the worst of the lot, Ms'Let me share all my personal details' Huntley.

I agree about Julie. She is rather amusing with her excessively effusive delivery, the clasping and unclasping of her hands as she flashes her Tipp-Ex-white gnashers! I'm sure that really is how she is though, she doesn't seem fake to me, just rather upper class and living in a slightly different realm to most of us. Can't say I find Fiona particularly entertaining. Her face resembles a squished eccles cake and her shrill voice goes right through me. She's also rather overbearing with her "I want you to...." like some weird dominatrix - the matron of nightmares!

oh its not because I like their presenting style Keeley and Fiona are just comical and irritating ...but I suspect they take themselves seriously

Like most of everyone else I watch only now and then and never a full hour at all. I tend to switch over to see what is on, realise I am not interested and switch over again. I have bought 2 Lola bracelets recently as they were reduced, but on the whole their shows do not interest me one bit.

Their p & p is ridiculous. It just keeps going up, and one day it will cost more than the item.

It is groundhog day most times, and since I am not that interested in beauty products, most of their shows are not for me.

Also now they have put up Christmas trees in October, my occasional viewing will drop, as I hate the over promotion of Christmas 10 weeks before it happens.

However, I would miss it after saying all that if it was no longer on air, as I do like a laugh and a peep into another world now and then, where everyone buys expensive presents for all and where money doesn't seem to be a problem.

Like most of everyone else I watch only now and then and never a full hour at all. I tend to switch over to see what is on, realise I am not interested and switch over again. I have bought 2 Lola bracelets recently as they were reduced, but on the whole their shows do not interest me one bit.

Their p & p is ridiculous. It just keeps going up, and one day it will cost more than the item.

It is groundhog day most times, and since I am not that interested in beauty products, most of their shows are not for me.

Also now they have put up Christmas trees in October, my occasional viewing will drop, as I hate the over promotion of Christmas 10 weeks before it happens.

However, I would miss it after saying all that if it was no longer on air, as I do like a laugh and a peep into another world now and then, where everyone buys expensive presents for all and where money doesn't seem to be a problem.

Anna, I agree with you &, as I'm immune to their selling tecniques, I can watch just for a giggle.

I fear that for many, me included in the past, money is a problem but we buy into this world where everyone has a lovely family and lots of friends and we happily choose gifts for them off the telly while sipping our mulled wine by the open fire. Reality is we're overdrawn but want to join that club and we glug the white lightning cider while we tell ourselves we can afford it and spend money we don't have.

I'm past that now (I never did drink the WL cider lol) and I buy what I know I can pay for but the fluffy adverts have a lot to answer for.

CC

Latest posts

Back