Computer security for iMac

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

kirkiegirl

Registered Shopper
I am very worried about things that have been happening to my Amazon account, e.g. purchases I have not made, and want to instal security software on my Apple computer and devices. I can't find anything on QVC's site today but can anyone recommend any that they have sold in the past or any other? When I had Windows PC's I tried several over the years but found some were too difficult for me to understand so I know I need something that is not too complicated. I don't want to close my Amazon account as that would affect the Kindles that I and my husband have bought from QVC over the past few years.

My understanding is that apple products are inherently more secure and don't need additional software.
It's more likely that your Amazon account has been tampered with by someone inside Amazon, so I hope you have reported it and asked them to investigate? I believe this sort of thing is sadly not uncommon.

Many insist that Apple cannot be hacked or get viruses. This has been proved wrong.

I don't remember QVC ever selling antivirus protections? You need to shop elsewhere.

I would say google around with your query and loads of tech forums will have info.

Oh, and do change your password on Amazon asap. I have a think set up on mine if I log in to buy anything a code comes to my phone with a code to prove it is me.

I'm certainly not saying it's impossible, apple devices can be hacked and can also be infected by viruses, but not by the same viruses that affect other systems, and they are much less likely to be hacked or infected.
I strongly suspect the problem with Amazon is with insiders, it happens a lot, I have heard of it before and I believe it has even been shown on TV consumer programmes. The recommendation is that you do not save credit card details on your amazon account, and sign out after every transaction to be safe.

Malwarebytes is free and downloadable from their site. It saved my bacon when I had a PC but I still use it on my MAC just in case.

I've not had any problems (touch wood), and it's not found anything either - yet.

Yes, it sounds more like your Amazon account has been hacked rather than a virus. If not done already you need to change your password and likely be issued with a new debit/credit card by your bank to replace whichever is being used.

I think it's a good idea to consider anti virus software. I'd contact apple https://www.apple.com/uk/contact/ and see what they suggest. I don't own their products but one of the reasons you are paying top dollar for apple products is there customer support is meant to be good.

There are many proprietary anti virus software packages out there which have versions for both windows and OS/apple operating systems. I've used the free ones like Malware, AVG and paid ones like Norton and Kaspersky. I personally did not get on with the latter but many do.

I have used apple iPad and phone for years and to date I’ve never had a problem. Our laptops on the other hand are windows operated and we use AVG. In the past I think Q and other reatailers used to sell a package on top of the cost of the computer and I think a lot used Norton. Of course there are probably many others out there.

i have had apple computers and phones for years and never had a problem but mac antivrus is available

I recommend McAfee Livesafe with every pc I sell, Apple or Windows. It is the most comprehensive. QVC is not the only outlet which sells pc security.

I recommend McAfee Livesafe with every pc I sell, Apple or Windows. It is the most comprehensive. QVC is not the only outlet which sells pc security.

Have you ever had complaints about it? My niece had it with her PC, which became infected. McAfee wanted another £80 to remove it even though she was running the anti-virus on a paid-for subscription!

Just to say, most online banking offers free antivirus software so do check that out - there is usually a Mac option, although how effective that is, I can't say as I don't bother with any on mine.

Latest posts

Back