Yankee Ex Steven

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Runnerbean

Registered Shopper
Hi forum,

Not been here for a while so forgive me if this has been a topic already.

I miss Steven on the Yankee shows although I like Rosa but not seen her for while. Anyhow I was sad to hear via friend that Steven's Yankee shop in Cardiff is now closed, it's been closed since late summer.

The announcement on the door said after 10 happy years the shop will close! Very sad for him as Yankee seemed to be a big part of his life.

I just wondered if it had been discussed here?

Runnerbean.

Hi forum,

Not been here for a while so forgive me if this has been a topic already.

I miss Steven on the Yankee shows although I like Rosa but not seen her for while. Anyhow I was sad to hear via friend that Steven's Yankee shop in Cardiff is now closed, it's been closed since late summer.

The announcement on the door said after 10 happy years the shop will close! Very sad for him as Yankee seemed to be a big part of his life.

I just wondered if it had been discussed here?

Runnerbean.

Hi Runnerbean, yes it was discussed. Steven even sold off candles from his personal collection. I think YC may be struggling these days. I am sure there must be more shows due, with Rosa or the less polished Michaela.

Thanks

Thanks for the link!

Poor Steven he's even sold his beloved Yankee collection.

I'm not on twitter or Facebook so don't know any of this happened feel sorry for him.

I used to buy lots of Yankee but not these day! Like a lot of people?!. For me it's not the same I used to love their true to life fragrances but now it seems to be more of what they called their fantasy fragrances, which all smell samey to me! But that may just be me?!

I've been buying the occasional Heart & Home which are slightly cheaper and quite nice.but not the variety of Yankee in their hayday!

Thanks again.
Runnerbean

Yankee seems to be pulling back now, loads of places that sold the brand no longer do and they(Yankee) seem to want their own stand-alone stores. I still see older stock in local chemists quite cheap. Not a fan of the brand I admit. They also own Woodwick candles now and they have started to appear on QVC. So many complaints about Yankee now, not made in the US, these are suppose to smell better, no throw especially the ones made for QVC.

I have glittering star from the new xmas range..lovely strong scent. its a shame the Yankees shops are closing left right and centre

I remember all that hoo hah at the time but can't actually remember what it was about. Didn't his husband insult QVC customers on facebook and then Steven lost his job? Felt very sorry for him then and if his shop has now closed I wonder what he will do next. I wish him well.

I don't buy as many Yankee tarts now as I think they all either smell of vanilla, citrus or that salted caramel smell. Berry trifle is an exception as well as turquoise sky and sweet pea. The christmas ones especially are very samey.

CC

For one delirious moment I thought this meant he was coming back! I occasionally check his Twitter account but have never seen any detail about how/why his shop closed. It seemed quite popular didn't it, but I wonder if the new YC shop elsewhere in Cardiff did for him. Which is pretty mean if so. I have never seen a post about what he plans to do in the future, or is now doing except selling off his candles. I notice that he does retweet numerous QVC staff tweets (not just the sister from another mister, but Dale and Del Boy etc) so I wondered if he was trying to keep a link going with a view to coming back........ But I think that bridge is well and truly burnt. Sadly.

I think the Q YC shows and selection have been very poor this year. As I am on my "buy less than you burn" year in an attempt to reduce the stash (all those portrait sets from 2016!) it hasn't bothered me but it was noticeable. I also had a phone chat with a lady working in a YC store and she was saying how it all seemed very odd and that for the first time they only got one new Autumn fragrance for the UK (Autumn Pearl) whereas we know it used to be four newbies every quarter (by which I mean a full range of candles, votives, tarts and tealights). When they questioned it the rep was pretty offhand too and just said they were getting some US Specials over. She also hinted that the scented tealights might be discontinued.

:mysmilie_59:

For one delirious moment I thought this meant he was coming back! I occasionally check his Twitter account but have never seen any detail about how/why his shop closed. It seemed quite popular didn't it, but I wonder if the new YC shop elsewhere in Cardiff did for him. Which is pretty mean if so. I have never seen a post about what he plans to do in the future, or is now doing except selling off his candles. I notice that he does retweet numerous QVC staff tweets (not just the sister from another mister, but Dale and Del Boy etc) so I wondered if he was trying to keep a link going with a view to coming back........ But I think that bridge is well and truly burnt. Sadly.

I think the Q YC shows and selection have been very poor this year. As I am on my "buy less than you burn" year in an attempt to reduce the stash (all those portrait sets from 2016!) it hasn't bothered me but it was noticeable. I also had a phone chat with a lady working in a YC store and she was saying how it all seemed very odd and that for the first time they only got one new Autumn fragrance for the UK (Autumn Pearl) whereas we know it used to be four newbies every quarter (by which I mean a full range of candles, votives, tarts and tealights). When they questioned it the rep was pretty offhand too and just said they were getting some US Specials over. She also hinted that the scented tealights might be discontinued.

It's just smelly wax, guys.......& with a lot of nasty ('harmful to aquatic life') chemicals in....:mysmilie_13:

Please don't shoot me :mysmilie_11:

You are right!

It's just smelly wax, guys.......& with a lot of nasty ('harmful to aquatic life') chemicals in....:mysmilie_13:

Please don't shoot me :mysmilie_11:

Yes it is just smelly wax................but I was at home a lot due to having an op then illness it was nice burn them in the evening it's sounds silly now! But it lifted my mood!

As you say smelly wax and I am very mindful of the environment I try not to buy many now and as Yankee are not so good em.....I'm doing my bit for the environment!

I remember the days when you could only get yankees from America. they cant be doing badly though if they are making the candles in Czech Republic easier to get hold of I suppose and hopefully cheaper in the long run

Could be that I have overcome my former obsession with Yankees, but I find the offerings on QVC now pretty poor. The shows just don't have the buzz. No doubt someone on here will tell me they know LOADS of people who still watch and love and buy but anyway, I've recovered at least. Like Mazza, I've got dozens of the jars from about 2015/16 so have successfully cut back on buying this year. I did buy some of the new square-bottomed ones (Elevate range?) in Boots recently when they had 21 points per £1 spend. All the Yankees are in the 3 for the price of 2 gifts section so, with the extra "discount" of the points, they only worked out about £11.60 each instead of £22. I haven't lit one yet but they should be good with the two wicks. Anyone here tried them?

Back to the thread heading, I don't miss Steven personally but I do miss the era when he was on, which is when there was that buzz I mentioned above, well for me at least.

In agree with you Andi. The buzz has gone and I hope they get it back.

Well done on the purchases!

:mysmilie_59:

At one time Yankee were the new kid on the block and something exciting but nowadays the World is awash with candles. From the uber exclusive to the poundshop specials and every shop inbetween. I rarely ever buy jar candles because I prefer melts but every now and again I`ll buy a Flamingo jar candle for the kitchen windowsill and will burn it when I`m cooking something particularly smelly such as smoked haddock.
They don`t have paraffin, petroleum or beeswax in them, non toxic and aren`t tested on animals nor are the ingredients.

I just think they don't smell the same. When I first started buying I bought the votives, tarts and tealights. There were scents like greenhouse and garden hideaway which I loved and other seaside ones and water/garden ones, all which I loved. The foodie ones all smelled individual, the apple ones were appley, the cookie ones were cakey, the coffee ones were coffee. Now they are not. I long ago stopped buying the votives and tealights as I returned a few sets as they didn't smell of anything. I still bought the tarts but I buy less and less of those now as too many smell similar and all the ones I really liked are retired. If anyone's got any merry marshmallow they don't want I'd be interested or the greenhouse/mowed grass/garden ones.

CC

I just think they don't smell the same. When I first started buying I bought the votives, tarts and tealights. There were scents like greenhouse and garden hideaway which I loved and other seaside ones and water/garden ones, all which I loved. The foodie ones all smelled individual, the apple ones were appley, the cookie ones were cakey, the coffee ones were coffee. Now they are not. I long ago stopped buying the votives and tealights as I returned a few sets as they didn't smell of anything. I still bought the tarts but I buy less and less of those now as too many smell similar and all the ones I really liked are retired. If anyone's got any merry marshmallow they don't want I'd be interested or the greenhouse/mowed grass/garden ones.

CC

Have you tried the Flamingo melts ? I much prefer them to the Yankee ones, much better throw and the fragrances are more realistic IMO.
https://www.flamingocandles.co.uk/melts.html

Thank you Vienna, just ordered some of the Flamingo melts.

If you like the Flamingo melts and you use quite a few melts per month then the Melt Club on their website is good value. You get a box of 8 melts per month, some special edition ones and also first dibs at new fragrances and its £10 per month including delivery.

Maybe he's down on his luck and has resorted to selling his hoard of waxy wicks to pay for his hair conditioner?

Latest posts

Back