Yankee Ex Steven

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

In agree with you Andi. The buzz has gone and I hope they get it back.

Well done on the purchases!

:mysmilie_59:

I will let you know how the new jars are. Meant to light one tonight but I’ve left it too late tonight now.

At one time Yankee were the new kid on the block and something exciting but nowadays the World is awash with candles. From the uber exclusive to the poundshop specials and every shop inbetween. I rarely ever buy jar candles because I prefer melts but every now and again I`ll buy a Flamingo jar candle for the kitchen windowsill and will burn it when I`m cooking something particularly smelly such as smoked haddock.
They don`t have paraffin, petroleum or beeswax in them, non toxic and aren`t tested on animals nor are the ingredients.

Very true that there are candles everybloodywhere. I’ve had some shockingly bad burners though - many just won’t pool and smell of nothing at all. Never heard of Flamingo, I must admit.

I have read all the mostly positive comments & watch snippets of the Q presentations and decided to give one a try.I bought at a local garden centre, a mid sized jar and it does burn evenly.However I am disappointed with the lack of smell from it, hardly effective at all.Do you have to light several in a room to have any real effect?Hope you many Yankee fans can put me right! I was aiming for a nice winter/Christmassy aroma.

Most of the complaints about the Yankee candles having very little smell are the ones made in the Czech Republic. Reading the QVC Facebook people only noticed because they looked at were they where made.

I admit I save up or wait until I have loyalty on my store card and buy Diptyque very expensive yes but so worth it. Once had a Jo Malone candle and found it pants for the price. I don't do food or fantasy smelling candles.

I think YC have priced themselves out of the market. My OH doesn’t like candles burning in the house as they can cause pollution but I have had small ones to burn in the kitchen after cooking fish etc. I have notices recently that they are disappearing from shops etc. But won’t be missed by Me.

I bought Glittering star one of the new Festive range and it smells gorgeous. even in the small jar. I had the new icy blue one and its weak as water. I still think it depends on the scent you buy.

I bought Glittering star one of the new Festive range and it smells gorgeous. even in the small jar. I had the new icy blue one and its weak as water. I still think it depends on the scent you buy.

I agree. And I also think it depends on your individual sense of smell. I have read comments online about how strong Black Cherry is, for instance, yet I can barely smell it. I am currently not getting much from Strawberry Lemon Ice burnt with a Portrait series Lemon. Yet the last two fruit ones I had were fine (forget which!).

I got the new festive ones with melts and tealights and am pleased with them. I ordered everything a few weeks back as I knew I wouldn't be able to guarantee I would be at home to collect them later in the year, if and when Q decide to sell them. They have been with other vendors for weeks now so they are really late this year. Perhaps all the exclusivity deals (see, I watch The Apprentice!) have been renegotiated and Q have lost out. I got mine from Temptation Gifts with a courier delivery. Ordered Monday, came Tuesday. More expensive than when buying with Q but I just couldn't wait around for them this year.

:mysmilie_59:

never had a weak one or a dissapointing one now dont get me started on other brands of candles that loads have mentioned they have been terrible for us but its like everything there is something out there for everyone

It's just smelly wax, guys.......& with a lot of nasty ('harmful to aquatic life') chemicals in....:mysmilie_13:

Please don't shoot me :mysmilie_11:

Harmful to me, too!

I no longer burn candles, even soy ones, as they also seem to have chemicals from the scents they use that disagree with me. I thought NEOM would work for me but they still make my tongue swell and my mouth go metallic. They don't seem to provoke my asthma, though.

I do miss having a room full of a warming or uplifting fragrance, though. Anyone know of any easy-on-the-respiratory-system candles/melts?

its a Shame because usually QVC have all the winter jars, samplers and melts by now. I have a large jar of my current fav but I would love to get some of the smaller candles to burn when I dont want to light a large jar.

Harmful to me, too!

I no longer burn candles, even soy ones, as they also seem to have chemicals from the scents they use that disagree with me. I thought NEOM would work for me but they still make my tongue swell and my mouth go metallic. They don't seem to provoke my asthma, though.

I do miss having a room full of a warming or uplifting fragrance, though. Anyone know of any easy-on-the-respiratory-system candles/melts?

I don't burn candles anymore but I have different fragranced reed diffusers in the rooms, healthier for us and our dogs. And definitely non-irritating unlike a candle or spray.

Harmful to me, too!

Really hard to reccommend - I don't wan't to be responsible for a wooden overcoat ! Buuuuuut how do you go with essential oils? If you are ok, then what about a nice atomiser type thing with water & essential oils of your choice - selected for your mood or ailment - for eg eucalyptus for colds, rose/lavender for 'meh' times.....There was a nice looking one on the Neals Yard website. Indeed the initial outlay is much more, but it will pay for itself (sort of) when you consider the candle prices. Actually, Neals Yard probably do non toxic candles. Customer service is v good if you're not happy. Just be sure to go to the main site, & not the local sellers.

never had a weak one or a dissapointing one now dont get me started on other brands of candles that loads have mentioned they have been terrible for us but its like everything there is something out there for everyone

Do you think the votives smell of anything SCW? I never buy them now because no matter what scent it was supposed to be, they smelled of nothing when I burned them. However, if I chopped them up and put them in a burner they did give off some smell but not much. I agree other candles don't smell either, Prices for instance.

CC

Do you think the votives smell of anything SCW? I never buy them now because no matter what scent it was supposed to be, they smelled of nothing when I burned them. However, if I chopped them up and put them in a burner they did give off some smell but not much. I agree other candles don't smell either, Prices for instance.

CC

i chop up votives when they are heavely reduced & can smell them very very clearly but everyones nose & senses are different

As previously said there are many candle makers & suppliers out there. I love St Eval, Vineyard Candles, The Country Candle Company & White Rose Candles from North Yorkshire. I'm also going to try Flamingo candles. I feel that YC has become too big, new fragrances are introduced regularly but they now all appear to smell the same. However, they don't keep some of the most popular & authentic ones, I loved Macintosh, as did many others, but it just disappeared.

Harmful to me, too!

I feel your pain! Sometimes even the thought of the burning (and reading the list of dodgy chemicals that places seem to have to include on labels now!), and I'm suffering the effects!

Was desperate for a candle the other day (well, I say "desperate", obviously not a basic need!), that added a large Glade jar to supermarket order...

I had had a small Glade one in the same scent and it wasn't bad so decided to risk the large jar version (half price at £4) - it's bright pink and called 'Relaxing Zen'...

Certainly can't complain about it not having much smell - within an hour of burning it the house stank (it's not an unpleasant scent but just SO strong) and my eyes were burning ON FIRE! So sting-y!

Latest posts

Back