Yankee Ex Steven

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I like the sound of a diffuser

I've been recommended to try a diffuser because I get reactions to burning candles - and often wax melts etc too - so a friend kindly loaned me theirs to try.

I used it with some essential oils I had and I liked the concept - and the fact that I knew exactly what I was burning. Also it's quite a moist mist unlike candles BUT as I was hoping to use it to mask cooking smells etc, I did find the amount of mist and steam it created a bit disconcerting! It filled the kitchen with clouds! (Don't know if this is the norm or if different diffusers would be better on this?)

One other positive of diffusers is that they will automatically turn themselves off when the water has evaporated - and/or there is a timer option if you want to leave it on for a set time..

I don't burn candles anymore but I have different fragranced reed diffusers in the rooms, healthier for us and our dogs. And definitely non-irritating unlike a candle or spray.

Interestingly I find diffusers even worse than candles! I was given a Wax Lyrical one - golden sandalwood - and whilst I adored the smell (everyone commented that it smelt like Mugler's Angel!), it made my eyes sting so much I had to give it away! And a White Company one - Verveine - had same effect.

It's probably me, though, not the products?!

I hate reed diffusers,99.9% of them smell synthetic. A friend keeps them in her hall and is forever having to twist them around then go wash her hands as they reek of the perfume.

I don’t know if it’s just the makes of diffusers I have had but I find after the first couple of weeks, the overriding smell is just damp wood (from the reeds). I bought one from Sainsbury’s a couple of years ago and loved it so much at first, I stocked up with refill bottles ... then regretted it because of this dank smell that developed after about 3 weeks. I guess the reeds just need replacing regularly and sooner than I would have expected. My friend will only have Jo Malone reed diffusers and they do smell nice when I visit but at £62, you would expect something special.

I don’t know if it’s just the makes of diffusers I have had but I find after the first couple of weeks, the overriding smell is just damp wood (from the reeds). I bought one from Sainsbury’s a couple of years ago and loved it so much at first, I stocked up with refill bottles ... then regretted it because of this dank smell that developed after about 3 weeks. I guess the reeds just need replacing regularly and sooner than I would have expected. My friend will only have Jo Malone reed diffusers and they do smell nice when I visit but at £62, you would expect something special.

I've tried loads of different reed diffusers (our bathroom doesn't have a window so I like one in there and in the hall too as a welcoming smell) and I've found the best ones are those that are smaller in volume so they chuck out more smell but don't last long enough for that damp wood smell to kick in (not as economical but I'd rather replace them more frequently on that basis).

My faves are Neom and White Company (never get a damp wood smell with either of those) but Heyland & Whittle are far too viscous and oily (the same with Sandy Bay) so the liquid takes ages to diffuse through the reeds and they always end up ponging of damp wood with the reeds needing to be replaced. The Jo Malone ones are lovely for a bathroom but a bit too subtle for a larger space like the hall.

I've tried loads of different reed diffusers (our bathroom doesn't have a window so I like one in there and in the hall too as a welcoming smell) and I've found the best ones are those that are smaller in volume so they chuck out more smell but don't last long enough for that damp wood smell to kick in (not as economical but I'd rather replace them more frequently on that basis).

My faves are Neom and White Company (never get a damp wood smell with either of those) but Heyland & Whittle are far too viscous and oily (the same with Sandy Bay) so the liquid takes ages to diffuse through the reeds and they always end up ponging of damp wood with the reeds needing to be replaced. The Jo Malone ones are lovely for a bathroom but a bit too subtle for a larger space like the hall.

Ah, so it’s not just me that gets the damp wood pong. I thought it was probably that I was buying cheaper diffusers. It does sound like I need to be looking slightly more upmarket though, and I’ll take your tip about smaller bottles. Those Jo Malone ones are said to last up to 6 months but I bet they would soon soon go bad for me or I would stop being able to smell them.

Ah, so it’s not just me that gets the damp wood pong. I thought it was probably that I was buying cheaper diffusers. It does sound like I need to be looking slightly more upmarket though, and I’ll take your tip about smaller bottles. Those Jo Malone ones are said to last up to 6 months but I bet they would soon soon go bad for me or I would stop being able to smell them.

Marks n Sparks do decent reed diffusers although again, too subtle for a hall. I'd recommend ones with natural oils that are meant to last 3 months max (c. 100 ml) as they diffuse better/quicker without clagging up the reeds. The Jo Malone ones are more volume but with much thicker reeds so last me 2-3 months in the hall but longer in a bathroom with less traffic.

Personally, I would rather spend a bit more cash and buy them more frequently as I don't have many in the flat but I do want them to be effective.

I must have used 100's of different reed diffusers over the years ranging from dirt cheap to quite expensive and the best I've ever had is the Aldi Jo Malone dupe, but ONLY the Mandarin, Lime and Basil. I've tried a few of the others which were average at best, but the mandarin was fantastic. I've had one in the bathroom now for about 6-8 weeks and it's still as strong now as it was when I first opened it. It helps that I really like the fragrance anyway, but it really was value for money. I can't remember exactly how much it was but I'm pretty sure it was around the five pound mark. I'm planning on a trip to Aldi at the weekend to stock up, so hopefully they'll still have some left.

A friend went to the Kilkenny outlet centre, they have a Molton Brown outlet shop. She was buying gifts sets for gifts and the manager gave her 5 full gift boxes of their reeds diffusers free. So it looked like they couldn't sell them. My friend kept trying to give them to people and no one wanted them, think she gave them to the cancer shop in the end. I know I got offered one and said no thanks.

A friend went to the Kilkenny outlet centre, they have a Molton Brown outlet shop. She was buying gifts sets for gifts and the manager gave her 5 full gift boxes of their reeds diffusers free. So it looked like they couldn't sell them. My friend kept trying to give them to people and no one wanted them, think she gave them to the cancer shop in the end. I know I got offered one and said no thanks.

Blimey, that does sound like they couldn't sell them - never tried MB diffusers, mainly because they get pretty poor reviews for longevity and throw.

I just get the small jar ones, Aldi have a nice one called "No.1", some are from TkMaxx and sometimes I just use a cheap refill from John Lewis. None have a strong scent and that isn't my choice, but I'm aware that having pets and not always being able to have open windows I kid myself that home smells a little less doggy.

Marks n Sparks do decent reed diffusers although again, too subtle for a hall. I'd recommend ones with natural oils that are meant to last 3 months max (c. 100 ml) as they diffuse better/quicker without clagging up the reeds. The Jo Malone ones are more volume but with much thicker reeds so last me 2-3 months in the hall but longer in a bathroom with less traffic.

Personally, I would rather spend a bit more cash and buy them more frequently as I don't have many in the flat but I do want them to be effective.

Ah, I was just looking at the diffuser in my bedroom which is Lavender and that was from M&S. I bought it a good couple of years ago but only started using it about 3 weeks ago and it's very nice - I get occasional wafts rather than a big hit but that's fine and I do like it.

I must have used 100's of different reed diffusers over the years ranging from dirt cheap to quite expensive and the best I've ever had is the Aldi Jo Malone dupe, but ONLY the Mandarin, Lime and Basil. I've tried a few of the others which were average at best, but the mandarin was fantastic. I've had one in the bathroom now for about 6-8 weeks and it's still as strong now as it was when I first opened it. It helps that I really like the fragrance anyway, but it really was value for money. I can't remember exactly how much it was but I'm pretty sure it was around the five pound mark. I'm planning on a trip to Aldi at the weekend to stock up, so hopefully they'll still have some left.

I really like the Aldi MLB smell - I only have it in hand wash and lotion though. It seems to be the most popular of the Aldi Jo Malone-alike scents as when they had them in in August, I got the last one of each, where the others were quite plentiful. In my experience, they don't always have the range in at all. Good luck with your foray.

I've started making my own diffuser oils: there's lots of guides on the internet. I'm still experimenting with blends, but if one gets a bit strong, it's easy enough to dilute, and store any extras in a bottle, for top-ups. At least you know what's in the DIY version!

I stopped burning Yankee & WoodWick candles, as all I could smell was paraffin. I used to love the tarts, but can no longer smell even those. I've resorted to spraying myself liberally with perfume (current favourite being Boss Orange), and wafting about the house!

I've started making my own diffuser oils: there's lots of guides on the internet. I'm still experimenting with blends, but if one gets a bit strong, it's easy enough to dilute, and store any extras in a bottle, for top-ups. At least you know what's in the DIY version!

I stopped burning Yankee & WoodWick candles, as all I could smell was paraffin. I used to love the tarts, but can no longer smell even those. I've resorted to spraying myself liberally with perfume (current favourite being Boss Orange), and wafting about the house!

A former boyfriend of mine was a wafter - sadly not of his cologne, though :sad:

I think YC have priced themselves out of the market. My OH doesn’t like candles burning in the house as they can cause pollution but I have had small ones to burn in the kitchen after cooking fish etc. I have notices recently that they are disappearing from shops etc. But won’t be missed by Me.

Yes, I think they have been the architects of their own downfall - the HUGE price hikes in the past 2 years have caused them to struggle. I noticed that in their own shops they were not only discounting their fragrances of the month, but the vast majority of their other products - including new launches and USA exclusives. I don't know if it was naivety, greed or arrogance that made them think that the market would accept this, but they found themselves sorely mistaken. When you have the likes of ALDI bringing classy-looking dupes of Jo Malone fragrances to the supermarket for a fraction of YC prices, let alone Jo Malone's... also, I think the difference in scent power between their budget line (which they foolishly rebranded) and their core lines have become almost non-existent.

I've tons of candles still to burn, but as we are entering the peak candle-burning time of year, I hope to make some inroads in the stash!

I enjoy the fragrances I've bought, in candles, diffusers and melts, so I plan to continue indulging in them. But I should be able to save myself a fortune as I definitely won't be lacking wax for some time to come...

I'm the same! Used to love a Yankee TSV but it's just too expensive now. Using the stash up (which includes getting the bottom bit out with a knife to put in my tart burner!) and then I'm going to try Aldi.

I'm the same! Used to love a Yankee TSV but it's just too expensive now. Using the stash up (which includes getting the bottom bit out with a knife to put in my tart burner!) and then I'm going to try Aldi.

Good choice, you’ll love Aldi candles.

Latest posts

Back