Todays Top Tech with Amazon TSV 01/12/18

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

What colour did you order Andik?

They said at midnight that the sand was selling fast and would soon sell out, and they had fewer of these as well.

They were ALL in stock when I ordered mine almost 24 hours later!

I chose the darkest coloured one (charcoal?). You?

Yes, I was going to comment on the old “Get the [limited colour] now or you’ll be disappointed” chestnut from Jilly H in the launch show. She was saying the light one was “vulnerable” about 10 minutes in. I noticed they were all available throughout the day and I’m not surprised if they still were at 11.55pm, as you say.

I got the mid-coloured one, the grey.

The light one will probably look grubby after a while, and being fabric, is not easily cleaned.

I wonder who will get theirs first?

I ordered the palest option at around 10am and it arrived yesterday (yep Sunday) via Hermes. I wonder whether they came direct from Amazon rather than there being a physical stack of them at Knowsley?

Mr Akimbo already has a Sonos speaker (about £150 from John Lewis) and has installed the Alexa app so it functions like an Echo but is a better sounding speaker for music (allegedly). Mr A has it in his office but I got the sandstone option of the TSV for elsewhere in the house. I can't do much with this yet as it's a Christmas present. I know he rates the Echo plus 2nd gen when he was researching alternatives. I didn't think I'd have any use for a speaking device like this but it's useful for list-making and instant info as others have said. DD has Spotify so I'm listening to random tunes when they pop into my head which is instant gratification!

I have never had to ask Alexa whether I'll need an umbrella today!

A bit weird, but they are not available on QVC at all today, yet they hadn't even reached limited stock by midnight on the TSV day.

This suggests to me that they were shipped direct from Amazon, and they pulled the deal after the TSV day, as they didn't even have any in stock themselves. And still not in stock until 15th December!

And mine is still showing as IN PROCESS. Grrrrrr

According to QVC website, it has SOLD OUT!

Just rang up CS.

They searched on the QVC public website, and it came up as SOLD OUT.

But according to their internal website, all 3 colours are still available.

She didn't think it was being sent directly from Amazon. I think she was amazed that Akimbo had hers within one day and on a SUNDAY!

I got the mid-coloured one, the grey.

The light one will probably look grubby after a while, and being fabric, is not easily cleaned.

I wonder who will get theirs first?

I almost got the mid-coloured one myself but I decided the dark would just look better in the rooms I may be using it in. I thought the lightest one was lovely and very stylish but would be worried about it getting grubby too, even with my hand-washing obsession.

I ordered the palest option at around 10am and it arrived yesterday (yep Sunday) via Hermes. I wonder whether they came direct from Amazon rather than there being a physical stack of them at Knowsley?

Mr Akimbo already has a Sonos speaker (about £150 from John Lewis) and has installed the Alexa app so it functions like an Echo but is a better sounding speaker for music (allegedly). Mr A has it in his office but I got the sandstone option of the TSV for elsewhere in the house. I can't do much with this yet as it's a Christmas present. I know he rates the Echo plus 2nd gen when he was researching alternatives. I didn't think I'd have any use for a speaking device like this but it's useful for list-making and instant info as others have said. DD has Spotify so I'm listening to random tunes when they pop into my head which is instant gratification!

I have never had to ask Alexa whether I'll need an umbrella today!

I was very, very close to ordering a Sonos system years ago when they were quite new - I'd just got an iPod - I can't remember what components the dealer suggested I would need or should buy but I remember it worked out about £1000. I know Sonos are still very highly rated.

My order was showing in Hermes tracking as "on way to courier" yesterday (Sunday) morning at 0620 but it's only just now saying "Due to be delivered today". I won't hold my breath as I have had terrible problems with Hermes the past 3 months (boxes marked "left in secure location" at 1901 the other Wednesday and then suddenly appeared right by the front gate, dumped in full view, on the Saturday afternoon) - a shame as over the years, I have had some great couriers who stayed for a year or two so we got used to each other.

Anyway, I am looking forward to trying my new toy out.

I'll have to open the box when I get home to make sure they sent me the right thing! It was my usual Hermes chap (he's a star!) and the tracking link from the email said out for delivery, then delivered so I assumed it was the right thing! This has to be the fastest delivery to me from Q!

I'll have to open the box when I get home to make sure they sent me the right thing! It was my usual Hermes chap (he's a star!) and the tracking link from the email said out for delivery, then delivered so I assumed it was the right thing! This has to be the fastest delivery to me from Q!

You're lucky to have a good Hermes man. Here in North London, they change every few months at least these days.

Mine has come but not had chance to open it up yet. It's not a very big box and I am sure I could feel the edge of the Echo through the thinnish cardboard so I hope it's all right. I'll go down and open it up shortly.

Any sign of yours, strato?

It now says "shipped" but no emails about it yet.

One of the most useful things QVC introduced to me was a "Parcelsafe" which is big enough to take most of my deliveries if I'm out.

Parcelsafe6.jpg

I’ve opened the box and it all looks fine. The Echo is a lot smaller than I expected. I know the original was quite a tall cylinder and I knew this was shorter but it’s still a bit of a surprise. Can’t wait to get it going now!

Mine arrived at 0935 today, and was left in my Parcelsafe.

Going out for a Christmas lunch today, so will probably not open it until this afternoon.

Well - - it was a nightmare to set up, about 2 hours, and about an hour with on-line chat to Amazon

I've had no problems with the previous 3, and this one went well re setting up the router password etc (using the app I already had on the ipad)

Then it said it was going to play a short video about how to use it, at which point the app froze, and I couldn't get out of it.

Eventually (on chat) I had to delete the existing app, then download it again.

Even then, it got itself into a loop, just going back and forth from one page to the next and back again, forever.

All I wanted to do was change the wake-up word to Echo, but the app wouldn't even let me do that.

Chatman said I could do it by speaking to it, but that wouldn't work either.

Then I was told to log in to my account on the PC, this had lots of problems as well.

Eventually I did it, but not even sure how.

And there is no telephone number I could find for CS, the the chatman wouldn't give me one, but left a message for them to ring me. This was about an hour ago, no call yet.

The chatman's name was Marvin, but I didn't ask him about his magic set which QVC sell !

Now it is working, it is VERY loud, and has good bass and treble, perhaps a bit lacking in the mid-range.

Well - - it was a nightmare to set up, about 2 hours, and about an hour with on-line chat to Amazon

I've had no problems with the previous 3, and this one went well re setting up the router password etc (using the app I already had on the ipad)

Then it said it was going to play a short video about how to use it, at which point the app froze, and I couldn't get out of it.

Eventually (on chat) I had to delete the existing app, then download it again.

Even then, it got itself into a loop, just going back and forth from one page to the next and back again, forever.

All I wanted to do was change the wake-up word to Echo, but the app wouldn't even let me do that.

Chatman said I could do it by speaking to it, but that wouldn't work either.

Then I was told to log in to my account on the PC, this had lots of problems as well.

Eventually I did it, but not even sure how.

And there is no telephone number I could find for CS, the the chatman wouldn't give me one, but left a message for them to ring me. This was about an hour ago, no call yet.

The chatman's name was Marvin, but I didn't ask him about his magic set which QVC sell !

Now it is working, it is VERY loud, and has good bass and treble, perhaps a bit lacking in the mid-range.

Oh heck! I'm not sure I have the patience you appear to have and I can see me swearing a lot and then giving up if I have anything like this sort of problem! I've been out in London all day so I've not had chance to set mine up yet. Hoping to try tomorrow but I'm a bit nervous now.

It is usually easy, the problem was that the app froze while trying to play a video (which I didn't want anyway) and there was no way out of it. It may well have been in a format that the ipad can't play, such as Flash.

Hopefully, yours will be straightforward, but you will need your router password (which could have upper and lower case letters, as well as numbers) so get it ready in advance.

It is usually easy, the problem was that the app froze while trying to play a video (which I didn't want anyway) and there was no way out of it. It may well have been in a format that the ipad can't play, such as Flash.

Hopefully, yours will be straightforward, but you will need your router password (which could have upper and lower case letters, as well as numbers) so get it ready in advance.

Fortunately, it was easy, thanks. I loaded the app on my iPad and was wary of the video when it came up after what you’d said but all was straightforward. Oh, I didn’t need my router password, by the way. It found my wifi without. Not sure why as when visitors want to use my wifi, they do need the code.

I really love the sound anyway. So far, so good!

When I went back upstairs a few hours later, the light circle was still on, green fading in and out. I expected it to have “gone to sleep” as I had not been using it, and have no light. I tried to find out what it meant but couldn’t. Well, green is supposed to signify an incoming call but it can’t have been that. The only way I could get rid of it was to tell it to go to sleep. Is that what we’re supposed to do when we’re not using it or around it? I’m listening to radio now and there’s no light at all, unless I talk to it and the blue light comes on.

Mine sometimes wakes up by a word on the radio which it mistakes for Alexa, which switches the circular lamp on.

I've changed all mine to Echo, which is much easier to say.

I'd forgotten it can tell me the room temperature, I haven't tried this yet.

The blurb said it came with 2 months (I think) free Amazon Music, but there was nothing about this that I could find, will have to investigate.

On a slightly different note, I was thinking of getting the TSV Ring Spotlight Camera, a good price and free PP. What clinched it was them saying it could be linked up to my Echo Show, the one with the large screen.

So far, the screen hasn't been much use, but apparently I can say something like "show ring camera" and I can then use the screen as a camera monitor.

Mine sometimes wakes up by a word on the radio which it mistakes for Alexa, which switches the circular lamp on.

I've changed all mine to Echo, which is much easier to say.

I'd forgotten it can tell me the room temperature, I haven't tried this yet.

The blurb said it came with 2 months (I think) free Amazon Music, but there was nothing about this that I could find, will have to investigate.

On a slightly different note, I was thinking of getting the TSV Ring Spotlight Camera, a good price and free PP. What clinched it was them saying it could be linked up to my Echo Show, the one with the large screen.

So far, the screen hasn't been much use, but apparently I can say something like "show ring camera" and I can then use the screen as a camera monitor.

So, when you leave the room or go out, do you say to it “Go to sleep”? Or just say “Stop” maybe?

Yes, I saw that you can use the Show as a video entry camera of sorts. That would be a good use.

Thanks for reminding me about the room temperature thing. I just tried that out. I was all excited when I spotted it this morning. I said, “Alexa, good morning” and she replied, “Good morning. On this day in 1958 the Preston Bypass was opened ...” then told me a bit about it. Ha ha! I’m loving learning random little things it does. Do share any others you discover.

Music: I tried asking mine to play a few songs - it seems some I can access with no problem, eg when I asked for U2 songs from the nineties (an example suggested on the webpage about setting it up and introducing features). But when I asked for one song (can’t remember what it was), it said I would need Amazon Music Unlimited. I guess that’s like Spotify? I saw on amazon.co.uk that at least one of the devices comes with a free 90 day trial subscription to that but don’t know if we’re supposed to get it with this? I already have regular Amazon Music - when I have bought CDs in the past, I’ve had free digital “rips” I can play via the Amazon Music app on my iPad or via Fire TV. Not sure I want the Unlimited but if it were free, as a trial or not, I wouldn’t say no.

PS I was so taken with my new Echo Plus toy, I was going to get an Echo Dot 3rd Gen for my niece for Christmas. Only reason I hesitated last night was Amazon won’t have it in stock until the end of January. I just thought I’d order one anyway as I could always cancel nearer the time, but it’s gone up to £49.99 today - it was £29.99 13 hours ago. Grumpy now. I wonder if QVC will have any deals on it.

I got mine as a TSV 2-pack, one is for an xmas present. But, as usual, it was a QVC con, as it was 2nd gen, and 3rd gen had already come out. Guess what, QVC didn't mention this!

It's worth googling around for prices. £49-99 is expensive for what it is, it is VERY small so not much volume or bass. It's probably gone up so they can reduce it again, their prices are like a yoyo.

And all items sold by Amazon (NOT 3rd parties) are free delivery ENDS TODAY so no need to spend over £20 for free delivery.

The code is FREEDELIVERY

Latest posts

Back