Mispronunciations

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I hate that American bloke saying ERB instead of HERB, when demoing kitchen stuff.

They may say that over there, but it sounds so wrong here, surely he could say it like in UK.

I don't mind about the usual US tomato, potato pronounciations, but ERB just sounds such an ugly word, and it does begin with an H !
Don’t get me started on aluminium or oregano.

I regularly hear on radio and TV people putting the wrong emphasis on words.

An example is "HEAD coach", implying someone who coaches heads, rather than "Head COACH".

The funniest example is from the old Benny Hill shows, where he ineptly read out scripts. He said something like "Elvis's new musical bum, oh, sorry, Elvis's new music album". Exactly the same letters, but the wrong emphasis.

Nuclear. :mysmilie_51::mysmilie_51:

Aaargh! I've been reading this thread with varying levels of annoyance at some of the mispronunciations (actually, don't forget a lot of people will say minpronounciations!) but "new-killer" for nuclear does my head in. I have heard radio presenters say they simply can't say the word and can't help saying "new-killer" but if they can say "new" and "clear", surely they can put them together!

Heck, this thread is good for getting it off your chest!

I regularly hear on radio and TV people putting the wrong emphasis on words.

An example is "HEAD coach", implying someone who coaches heads, rather than "Head COACH".

The funniest example is from the old Benny Hill shows, where he ineptly read out scripts. He said something like "Elvis's new musical bum, oh, sorry, Elvis's new music album". Exactly the same letters, but the wrong emphasis.

Yes, the stressings of words are important, particularly in a news bulletin / factual narration. I personally hate to hear the word "research" pronounced with the emphasis on the first syllable ('REsearch) when it should be on the second: (re'SEARCH).

The word "controversy" is often pronounced stressing the wrong syllable.

Don’t get me started on aluminium or oregano.

al'LOOM-in-um and oREGGannno! Should be alyewMINNeum and oreGARNo.
How about some toMAYto and BAYzil sauce, anyone? Would you like it "to go?" Personally I'd like to take it away!

I've just been listening to a radio programme about LIVE radio bloopers.

One was hilarious because the announcer had no idea that everything she said was totally wrong.

I'll type it exactly as she said it. It was even funnier because she spoke in a serious BBC-type voice.

It started with the midnight chimes of Big Ben, then she said - - - - >

"It's 12 o'clock green witch. Meantime, here is the news."

I've just been listening to a radio programme about LIVE radio bloopers.

One was hilarious because the announcer had no idea that everything she said was totally wrong.

I'll type it exactly as she said it. It was even funnier because she spoke in a serious BBC-type voice.

It started with the midnight chimes of Big Ben, then she said - - - - >

"It's 12 o'clock green witch. Meantime, here is the news."

That will have been an outgoing from the World Service staff. Lovely they all are however English isn't their forte.

A real teeth grinder for me is REALLY unique/QUITE unique.

What is the general opinion on the pronunciation of ewe as in a female sheep? Is it as in “yew” or “yo”? I speak to a lot of farmers through work and it is about 50/50 with them.

A real teeth grinder for me is REALLY unique/QUITE unique.

What is the general opinion on the pronunciation of ewe as in a female sheep? Is it as in “yew” or “yo”? I speak to a lot of farmers through work and it is about 50/50 with them.

I agree - unique is not quantifiable, it either is or it isn't :mysmilie_51:

I hope the awful American habit of saying "were was he/she/they at" doesn't catch on over here.

Starting every spoken sentence with “yes absolutely “ without the person actually listening to what is being said to them. During a show it must be said at least 30timez.

Imagine someone saying “I think my cat might be going to have its back leg taken off due to .....”. They answer with “yes absolutely when will it happen”. Nonsense.

What about starting sentences with "yes, no" eh? well is it yes or is it no? I also don't like "he/she should of done this, that or whatever" instead of "should have". Then there's "fink" and "fought" instead of think and thought.

CC

I’m going a bit off-topic here but I’m miserable, and having a whinge always cheers me up !!!

It really annoys me to hear people say ‘floor’ when they mean ‘ground’. I was taught that ‘floor’ is a general term for inside a building and ‘ground’ for outside. Similarly with ‘stairs’ = indoors, and ‘steps’ = outside. As for a friend of mine who describes everything he sits on as a ‘chair’ even if it’s fixed to the ground (or floor) or something else. How could anyone refer to a seat on an aeroplane as a ‘chair’ ?

Back to QVC - I wish someone would teach the presenters how and when to use Me, Myself or I. They seem to think they are interchangeable.

I went up thread.

Re above. Mr B is an archaeologist & I had a right telling off recently for saying floor when I should have said ground. Nooooorty!!!!
Deets. available on request, as not everyone is interested in old stones etc.

Nb. Spot the made up words for fun.

Just today I saw a note about putting something in the stationary cupboard and I started telling the person it was ‘e’ for stationery. I should just let it go but I can’t!

The day we stop caring is the day we give up. There's bound to be some groups/online/other for the preservation of correct English. A real eye opener is if one watches a 1940's film. The contrasts within the dialect/language etc to those of a 'modern' film are tremendous

Latest posts

Back