Mispronunciations

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It's absolutely amazing how many of them say "somethink….nothink...anythink" etc etc. I mean surely they know they are actually saying a word that doesn't exist?

It's absolutely amazing how many of them say "somethink….nothink...anythink" etc etc. I mean surely they know they are actually saying a word that doesn't exist?

It's terrible, isn't it? Few things irritate me more than female presenters that speak as though they are smiling. I don't know if they are trying to sound warm and / or sexy but it just sounds ridiculous! I think that's where this: "klaysed" instead of "closed" often comes from. They're trying to sound like they're smiling.

Years ago I had a boss who'd insist on calling me Jud-iff, I'd reply "If what?" and in 5 years he never got it!

I cannot bear it when people put an extra syllable in certain words, turning "handling" into "handelling," "crumbling" into crumbelling" etc.

JR's, 'mushrum', usually has me screaming at the telly. Oh, and I too, pronounce, 'you' & 'yew' the same way. I also grew up with, 'youz', and 'youz-uns', as quite normal. 'Went extinct', and, 'bored of', also get my goat.

I’m going a bit off-topic here but I’m miserable, and having a whinge always cheers me up !!!

It really annoys me to hear people say ‘floor’ when they mean ‘ground’. I was taught that ‘floor’ is a general term for inside a building and ‘ground’ for outside. Similarly with ‘stairs’ = indoors, and ‘steps’ = outside. As for a friend of mine who describes everything he sits on as a ‘chair’ even if it’s fixed to the ground (or floor) or something else. How could anyone refer to a seat on an aeroplane as a ‘chair’ ?

Back to QVC - I wish someone would teach the presenters how and when to use Me, Myself or I. They seem to think they are interchangeable.

Just today I saw a note about putting something in the stationary cupboard and I started telling the person it was ‘e’ for stationery. I should just let it go but I can’t!

Just today I saw a note about putting something in the stationary cupboard and I started telling the person it was ‘e’ for stationery. I should just let it go but I can’t!

My friend used to say to remember the spelling e in pen for stationery , and a in car for stationary.

I do too. Of course I may be pronouncing 'you' correctly & 'yew' incorrectly :mysmilie_19:

YOU is pronounced as a diphthong, which is a combined sound of EEE and U, (or OOO) that is, EEEUUU or EEEOOO

YEW is a monothong (sp?) just one syllable and sounds like the letter U, or YOOO

I hate that American bloke saying ERB instead of HERB, when demoing kitchen stuff.

They may say that over there, but it sounds so wrong here, surely he could say it like in UK.

I don't mind about the usual US tomato, potato pronounciations, but ERB just sounds such an ugly word, and it does begin with an H !

Well, I guess the stationery cupboard is stationary - unless it's mobile!

I hate that American bloke saying ERB instead of HERB, when demoing kitchen stuff.

They may say that over there, but it sounds so wrong here, surely he could say it like in UK.

I don't mind about the usual US tomato, potato pronounciations, but ERB just sounds such an ugly word, and it does begin with an H !

Mia Farrow mentioned "erbs" in that 1968 Rosemary's Baby film and I found it strangely irksome - so I kind of get where you're coming from on that.

I did Google once why they say "erb" and it does have something to do with the French originally. It doesn't make it any less hateful as they could have learnt how to pronounce it properly by now, but I suppose it does have an origin that sort of makes sense. That's the best defence I can give it mi'lord

I’m going a bit off-topic here but I’m miserable, and having a whinge always cheers me up !!!

It really annoys me to hear people say ‘floor’ when they mean ‘ground’. I was taught that ‘floor’ is a general term for inside a building and ‘ground’ for outside. Similarly with ‘stairs’ = indoors, and ‘steps’ = outside. As for a friend of mine who describes everything he sits on as a ‘chair’ even if it’s fixed to the ground (or floor) or something else. How could anyone refer to a seat on an aeroplane as a ‘chair’ ?

Back to QVC - I wish someone would teach the presenters how and when to use Me, Myself or I. They seem to think they are interchangeable.

Cheer up Mrs! Go & hug that pussy cat!

How could anyone refer to a seat on an aeroplane as a ‘chair’ ?

This really made me smile (above) It's one of the funniest things I've read on here for ages. Subtle & smart is one of my favourite SOH's

I did Google once why they say "erb" and it does have something to do with the French originally. It doesn't make it any less hateful as they could have learnt how to pronounce it properly by now, but I suppose it does have an origin that sort of makes sense. That's the best defence I can give it mi'lord

Yes, but the French pronounce Paris as Paree but we don't, neither to we say ERB.

Latest posts

Back