Mispronunciations

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Craig Rowe is guilty of this.

Julia Roberts gets on my wick with CaRIB -ian. I know it’s how the residents pronounce it but it assaults my ears to hear it said with an English accent.

I think JR may well have been the culprit .These Americanisms in speech make me think the presenters have a burning desire to join Q 'across the pond'.Perhaps they have more zleb status over there.When they mention the price of items in dollars and one knows for a fact they have worked in dear old Blighty for God knows how long,I p***myself laughing.:mysmilie_19:

How about when people seem to have problem pronouncing the letter "o" as in "go" or "no?! Instead they pronounce it like an "a" as in "play," "tray" or "gay." So the word "radio," sounds something like: "raydeeyay" and "closed" becomes: "klaysed."

That's because they are aybsolute praytes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pronounce "you" and "yew" the same way. Is this wrong and, if so, how should they be pronounced?

Strictly speaking there is no right or wrong, as regional accents, age and background all play a part in shaping pronunciation however Standard Received Pronunciation would pronounce the word "you" so that it rhymes with "zoo," "too." It may have a slight inflection of "oo" as in "book," "look" or "took." It's more of an "ooo" sound than an "eww" sound.
There's a guy from Liverpool at my workplace and when I first met him he talked about getting a "bewk" and I said in my rather starchy Eton-esque accent: "I'm terribly sorry, what do you mean?" He replied: "You're a jerrrrrrrno and yer don't know worra bewk is?!"

I grew up in Lancashire and dearly miss hearing the clear pronunciation of consonants - Daisy uses them very sparingly with a liberal helping of mangled vowels...it's alphabetti spaghetti gone rogue!

Strictly speaking there is no right or wrong, as regional accents, age and background all play a part in shaping pronunciation however Standard Received Pronunciation would pronounce the word "you" so that it rhymes with "zoo," "too." It may have a slight inflection of "oo" as in "book," "look" or "took." It's more of an "ooo" sound than an "eww" sound.
There's a guy from Liverpool at my workplace and when I first met him he talked about getting a "bewk" and I said in my rather starchy Eton-esque accent: "I'm terribly sorry, what do you mean?" He replied: "You're a jerrrrrrrno and yer don't know worra bewk is?!"

Actually when it comes right down to it the shortening of words, like jurno as above, bro etc is even more annoying than other examples in this thread, as some of those could be excused as regional accents, slight speech impediments but this is idiots who think they are in a New York gang.

I quite agree.Whilst regional accents are fine( Like most people I have one myself) it seems now that a culture of 'Gangster talk 'has begun to change the language.I think a lot of this is Americanized English. Coupled with text speak and writing this has helped in the downfall of good grammar in speech and written language .Children are writing in text speak in their school work.

I like reading the comments section of online newspapers.

Those who write 'could of or should of'

No it is 'could have or should have' It annoys me!

I pronounce "you" and "yew" the same way. Is this wrong and, if so, how should they be pronounced?

"Yew" is the correct way to pronounce "you". I think Julius is getting confused with regional dialects and pronunciation, the Liverpool comment for instance.

"Yew" is the correct way to pronounce "you". I think Julius is getting confused with regional dialects and pronunciation, the Liverpool comment for instance.

Yes Shopper I pronounce them the same way , I'm from Yorkshire and never heard it pronounced any different.

You must have been 'away to school' to have an Etonian accent...I'm intrigued..?

lo[QUOTE said:
veallthingsitalian;933503]Actually when it comes right down to it the shortening of words, like jurno as above, bro etc is even more annoying than other examples in this thread, as some of those could be excused as regional accents, slight speech impediments but this is idiots who think they are in a New York gang.
[/QUOTE]

This drives me insane. If I start now I'll never stop. In summary: fecking morons.

Actually when it comes right down to it the shortening of words, like jurno as above, bro etc is even more annoying than other examples in this thread, as some of those could be excused as regional accents, slight speech impediments but this is idiots who think they are in a New York gang.

But a true Scouser would pronounce you as yiz!

Whaaaat? yiz as in Jiz?

But a true Scouser would pronounce you as yiz!

I can wholeheartedly, categorically say that in my 53 years a Scouser, and working all around Merseyside I have never once heard someone pronounce "you" as "yiz" but then again I'm a posh one :mysmilie_17:

I've heard (and I'm guilty of it myself) saying "youz" for a group of people but that's regional dialect though, not ignorance.

It's lovely travelling round the country and hearing different pronunciations, sadly a lot of regional differences are going.

Latest posts

Back