Mispronunciations

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

For me, the worst ever is starting every sentence with 'So'. It makes absolutely no sense in 99% of cases.

So they even do it on the Today Programme. So FFS!!!! So I can't continue because I'll end up crying. So fecking what?:mysmilie_51:

Last edited:
You're right, there. I quite like that Bibi Bijoux guest. She's got quite an interesting voice, although sometimes she seems like she's pissed! Her false eyelashes and eyeshadow always make me laugh. She looks like Zara Moonbeam from Prisoner: Cell Block H!

Lordy, Lordy! Julius, a bit harsh :mysmilie_17: I have on occasion seen guests on QVC and wondered if they'd had a few before they appeared on air.

CC

Craig Rowe is guilty of this.

Julia Roberts gets on my wick with CaRIB -ian. I know it’s how the residents pronounce it but it assaults my ears to hear it said with an English accent.

I'm very lucky to have been to the Caribbean before it became unaffordable (for me) and although the Americans say Carrr i bi an, the locals I met say carrry be an. Not specific to one island either as I've been to more than one (no bragging intended).

CC

I've just been listening to a radio programme about LIVE radio bloopers.

One was hilarious because the announcer had no idea that everything she said was totally wrong.

I'll type it exactly as she said it. It was even funnier because she spoke in a serious BBC-type voice.

It started with the midnight chimes of Big Ben, then she said - - - - >

"It's 12 o'clock green witch. Meantime, here is the news."

My mum used to work for the BBC and she's Scottish. She almost fell off her world one time when she heard, I think it was Tony Blackburn, say MILN GAVIE live on air. It's pronounced Mull guy. Of course, you might not know that if you weren't Scottish but the BBC people used to do research in my mum's day. She's 81 and still wheels that one out every new year lol.

Edit, Milngavie is a place, but you all knew that.

CC

Last edited by a moderator:
The day we stop caring is the day we give up. There's bound to be some groups/online/other for the preservation of correct English. A real eye opener is if one watches a 1940's film. The contrasts within the dialect/language etc to those of a 'modern' film are tremendous

The only problem Sister is that if anyone is corrected by bad spelling or grammar on social media sites they get jumped on and accused of being punctuation,spelling etc police as though it doesn't matter. You sometimes have real trouble reading a comment that has neither apostrophes, full stops or capital letters, they end up making no sense at all.

The only problem Sister is that if anyone is corrected by bad spelling or grammar on social media sites they get jumped on and accused of being punctuation,spelling etc police as though it doesn't matter. You sometimes have real trouble reading a comment that has neither apostrophes, full stops or capital letters, they end up making no sense at all.

But how right you are! Mr CC is the original grammar and spelling police and he just rants about the dumbing down of language these days and the people's spiel of "why does it matter". Well it should matter. People don't know the use of apostraphes these days because maybe the teachers don't know them. And (don't start sentences with and) how many times do you see loose when they mean lose? Scotland used to have one of the most envied education systems in the world. I work in Scottish schools and what the hell has happened? Answer Nicola?

CC

The captions on the BBC News (and channel) are shockingly poor in terms of spelling and grammar. If you're in a communication role I'd expect at least the use of a spell-checker (or ask a grown-up to read it through) before it's broadcast to the world!

You're right. I often huff silently, but my thpellin & punctuation aren't prefect.
What makes me smile is when someone is 'having a pop' at an other person from upon their high horse, & said pop has mistakes in it. It's rather comical.

The captions on the BBC News (and channel) are shockingly poor in terms of spelling and grammar. If you're in a communication role I'd expect at least the use of a spell-checker (or ask a grown-up to read it through) before it's broadcast to the world!

If you mean the subs, I think it's a machine. It does get confused with accents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do people say “if you’re SAT there at home ....”

It’s fecking SITTING!

Yes, quite. Sometimes they do the reverse of this when they say something along the lines of: "And you are LOVING this..." thereby bringing QVC down to the level of a McDonalds (sic) advert.

Yeah Lp, you can't seem to say anything on Forums without being singled out. :mysmilie_3:
I agree too, txt speak is a right bugger and soon we'll need a degree in how to decipher it.

Alison Young gets on my chesticles with her "Flora Mer-a" even though Axel says "Flora Mar-a" to her at least fifty times. I think it's very disrespectful of the resident beauty presenter not to care enough to pronounce the name of his brand correctly. Probably not high end or expensive enough, maybe not but the brand gets consistently more five star reviews than the more expensive brands.

Latest posts

Back