QVC Black Friday / best bargains / Changing face of shopping

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julius

Registered Shopper
So it's approaching "that" time of the year when seemingly everyone (perhaps apart from me) thinks about buying gifts for people.

I'd like to buy myself a new laptop, a tablet, some headphones and one or two other gadgets however I find this whole Black Friday thing so confusing. I liked the olden days where one would rush down to the shops on Boxing Day / camp outside a department store, fizzing with excitement and eager anticipation of a bargain.

But why pitch a tent when the likes of QVC bring the department store to our own home? These days those purchases are but a call or a few clicks away. It's just all so easy. Or is it?

Don't you miss the jostle and hustle and bustle of the high street not to mention the crisp, cold air scented with pine Christmas trees and pith of clementine? I'm getting so misty-eyed it's fogging up the lenses of my rose-tinted spectacles.

To be perfectly honest the high street is all a bit crap, isn't it? For one thing it's not even properly cold and crisp, it's just a bit damp and grey, the Christmas trees are rubbish and the decorations tacky and tawdry. And who wishes to risk injury getting in the way of two grown adults fighting over a cheap Chinese widescreen telly to dumb-down their family? Then there's all the trickery from the shops, the artificial inflation of prices, false discounts and deals that aren't quite what they seem. Plus you have to pay for parking and possibly get drenched when it's raining drizzle. It's almost like some bladdered drunk is up there in the sky urinating on us all, which begs the question: Who's really taking the piss?

But with QVC you can cosy up in your slanket, admiring the view of your Kelly Hoppen grey crescent moon vase so carefully positioned by your Peony flaaaahs as partake in that "department store at home" experience.
BOLLOCKS! QVC never is a department store and never will be! It's more like "The Generation Game" with a few things passing before your eyes at mind-numbingly slow rate. It's more like being in an old-fashioned market with sellers screeching at the top of their lungs as they peddle their wares.

It wasn't that long ago TV shopping was new, radical and exciting. It was to the high street what Teletext was to the newspaper. Then along came the internet and blew everything out of the water. Yet is QVC adapting? Not really, hence the desperate campaigns fronted by z-listers and nonentities. At least the high street is more...tangible, and however much QVC might crow about its integrity, we, the enlightened Shoppingtelly Brigade, know different. Don't we?

Are there any real bargains to be had from QVC / the DHS?

Where will you be buying bits this year? WHEN will you be buying? What tricks should we look out for?

There are very few bargains on QVC in fact even on the dreaded high street a lot of this Black Friday hype is a load of rubbish. You have to do your homework to make sure you are getting the bargain you want and this means shopping around and checking prices long before the so called sale begins.

I have found generally that the high street and QVC are more expensive than ever. the sales last year in the run up to xmas were good. bargains to be had everywhere but imo not so much this year.

Sales at Q any time of the year are all hype and scant reduction. Why would black Friday be any different?

You have to keep an eye on all retailers, though as the BF reductions can be less of a bargain than they'd like you to think. There's a good article on the BBC website which also makes some price trackers you can use to see how real the reductions are.

I wonder what BF is going to be like at deciem this year, now Brandon is not making decisions as a CEO. Last year it was 80% (!!!) off.

I try to no longer buy sale items “just because it’s in a sale” but now only buy items I would have liked at full price but thought they were overpriced.

Our Marks (I think a lot had 20% off vouchers) was bedlam last weekend - I saw an awful lot of PJ’s being purchased.

I try to no longer buy sale items “just because it’s in a sale” but now only buy items I would have liked at full price but thought they were overpriced.

Our Marks (I think a lot had 20% off vouchers) was bedlam last weekend - I saw an awful lot of PJ’s being purchased.

I wish I could resist sales, I can't.

Whilst I was ordering my £30 worth of molton brown on the Look Fantastic site, I happened to see a box of top brand make up (eyeko, laura geller etc) for £25, allegedly it is worth £107. Anyway it was a Black Friday offer so I bought it for my friend's Christmas. Then at checkout I got 20% off both items and free postage! Can't say fairer than that. I'm buying nothing else (today).

CC

I love a bargain, who doesn't? However, since retiring I've had the time to really look for them. I liked a pair of Lotus boots, to replace the ones returned to the Q because uppers came away from soles, they were £55 + p&p so I did a search for cheaper. I found a pair for £41 & no p&p, ordered on Monday & delivered today. Boom.

I have found generally that the high street and QVC are more expensive than ever. the sales last year in the run up to xmas were good. bargains to be had everywhere but imo not so much this year.

Totally agree Boffy. I generally trawl the garden centres for some 'different' tree baubles, but this year its noticeable that the sumptuous displays and stock levels (in all those I visited) are a fraction of previous years, AND the prices are beyond abortive. One long stemmed sequin flower at £10.95 ?????? what ??? I know for a fact the wholesale prices are less than half this, and more than me was putting them back in the display bucket. Little wonder I wait until 2 days after Christmas to buy such stuff - and they're still making a profit.

Shopping habits are changing, but QVC and the DHS are only thinking about huge profits.

Totally agree Boffy. I generally trawl the garden centres for some 'different' tree baubles, but this year its noticeable that the sumptuous displays and stock levels (in all those I visited) are a fraction of previous years, AND the prices are beyond abortive. One long stemmed sequin flower at £10.95 ?????? what ??? I know for a fact the wholesale prices are less than half this, and more than me was putting them back in the display bucket. Little wonder I wait until 2 days after Christmas to buy such stuff - and they're still making a profit.
Shopping habits are changing, but QVC and the DHS are only thinking about huge profits.

There is a furniture/fancy goods shop near us where we go to have a coffee. They are well known for their Christmas ornaments which are never cheap but lovely to build up over the years.

I was there last week and they had wreaths (large and lovely) for £350 each! There was an even larger one for £650!!! There would be very few homes able to display or pay for these but apparently it isn’t unknown.

Last year B&Q were selling near life size moving reindeer for over £700 so someone somewhere is buying.

Somehow I can’t see these tying in with Woolies baubles so would have to be the full works at a small fortune.

there are many wealthy people around but I am definately not one of them. Qvc trees cost a fortune but I always buy mine in January from the larger stores and buy the best ones cheap as chips ...

I bought a lovely wreath last year at the farmers market for £25 and it lasted until February (I had it on the woodshed after New Year). I thought it was a bit expensive but when I put a string of £5 battery lights on it everyone was saying how nice it looked so well worth it. I've got some lovely baubles dating back to childhood and those from Selfridges and Harrods when I used to live in London but I don't buy much now as there's no room on the tree!

CC

I used to love wandering the DHS after dark at this time of year, especially if it was cold and crisp. Pretty lights everywhere and just about everyone smiling. The Salvation Army brass band would play under the big tree and people would stand in the cold and sing along to the carols.

Now, though, the lights in my city centre are fixed all year round and are that dreadful cold blue. They cast a cold dreary light and no one seems to smile.

I can see the attraction of online shopping, especially as I can no longer get around very well, but I still miss the good old days (and the Wonder Of Woolies).

I used to love wandering the DHS after dark at this time of year, especially if it was cold and crisp. Pretty lights everywhere and just about everyone smiling. The Salvation Army brass band would play under the big tree and people would stand in the cold and sing along to the carols.

Now, though, the lights in my city centre are fixed all year round and are that dreadful cold blue. They cast a cold dreary light and no one seems to smile.

I can see the attraction of online shopping, especially as I can no longer get around very well, but I still miss the good old days (and the Wonder Of Woolies).

This is so sad. I live in a town that was badly affected when a large mall was built nearby & for years it was tatty with charities taking over the empty shops & no soul left in the high street. Fortunately we now have quite a number of independents & the nice, almost old-fashioned spirit is returning. The Christmas decorations are simple & do get taken down & local school choirs sing on days in December. If you want to read a lovely childrens book, with scenes such as the ones you've written about, see if you can find a copy of 'Lucy & Tom's Christmas' by Shirley Hughes. If I ever feel a bit off I look at the pictures in her books & the world seems better.

I think I'll hang onto my money until mid-January when half the country will be broke. I also need to get a new Bose aviation headset but they are NEVER discounted. Always super expensive.

Latest posts

Back