Ludicrous statement from Breville HotCup guest

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

marino5549

Registered Shopper
Just watched a presentation for the Breville HotCup Hot Water Disperser. To try and make this item seem more fantastic than it actually is, the guest says 'We all know it, you boil a whole kettle of water for just 1 cup of coffee!' (check the video on QVC - 45 seconds into the presentation). NO YOU DON'T!!! I don't know anyone who fills a kettle to the brim just to boil enough water to make 1 cup of coffee. What a ridiculous statement for this guest to make. She compared the time it took to boil an entire kettle full of water (for just 1 cup!) with this Breville HotCup Dispenser. The majority of kettles now have a guide on the outside so you know how much water to put into it to make just 1 or 2 cups of tea or coffee. For this guest to say most people boil an entire kettle full of water for just 1 cup of coffee is just plain ludicrous.

I didn't see it but I think I know who you mean, the aggressive blonde haired woman, Sam Sideways/Getaways/Herways or something like that. She's so rude and agressive I can't stand her, she's bigger than me so if she says "we all fill a kettle for one cup".....we all fill a kettle for one cup. :mysmilie_17:

Seriously though, they all do it, what's more ridiculous is they're supposed to have a legal team which is obviously a load of rubbish, or they couldn't make sweeping statements like that.

When I was having my kitchen done, rather than trampling through to the sink the builder always filled the kettle and brought it to my "temporary HQ" for me to make us tea. It was never less than full to the brim. It drove me nuts!

When my mum died and my Dad was living alone he was always a lot more careful with gas, electric and water than Mum ever was. Whenever he boiled the kettle no matter how little water was left in it,he`d tip the water into a vacuum flask and then fill his hot water bottle with it at bedtime or in the warmer months he`d use it for his bedtime hot drink. Waste not want not was his motto.

When my mum died and my Dad was living alone he was always a lot more careful with gas, electric and water than Mum ever was. Whenever he boiled the kettle no matter how little water was left in it,he`d tip the water into a vacuum flask and then fill his hot water bottle with it at bedtime or in the warmer months he`d use it for his bedtime hot drink. Waste not want not was his motto.

I've been doing this for years, it is logical and saves "greenhouse gases".

And if I want boiling water for something, I reheat the water from the flask, otherwise it stays hot enough for most purposes.

I think the guest was Gail Samways. She is incredibly loud and in your face. I wouldn't buy anything she was demo'ing.

CC

I'm pretty sure she used to present DietChef on Q in the dim and distant past. Obviously didn't work for her so they found her something else to do.

I've been doing this for years, it is logical and saves "greenhouse gases".

And if I want boiling water for something, I reheat the water from the flask, otherwise it stays hot enough for most purposes.

I don't think you should re heat water you have once boiled as residual chemicals in water get concentrated. Any left over water, water used for washing veg etc we put into a jug and then it gets taken go the watering can or used to water indoor plants.

I didn't see it but I think I know who you mean, the aggressive blonde haired woman, Sam Sideways/Getaways/Herways or something like that. She's so rude and agressive I can't stand her, she's bigger than me so if she says "we all fill a kettle for one cup".....we all fill a kettle for one cup. :mysmilie_17:

Seriously though, they all do it, what's more ridiculous is they're supposed to have a legal team which is obviously a load of rubbish, or they couldn't make sweeping statements like that.

I always boil a full kettle of water just to make one cup of tea - cos I've only got a travel sized kettle! Never waste a drop. Anyone with a larger kettle should just engage their brain a fill the the lowest level required / possible to make one cup.

I always boil a full kettle of water just to make one cup of tea - cos I've only got a travel sized kettle! Never waste a drop. Anyone with a larger kettle should just engage their brain a fill the the lowest level required / possible to make one cup.

That's true, I don't see the need to fill a kettle for one cup, these presenters must think we haven't got the sense we were born with.

I've just found the video & yes, she is aggressive & very pushy. I think she should start a rugby team with the Everton person & Fibby, once her knee has recovered.

I've just found the video & yes, she is aggressive & very pushy. I think she should start a rugby team with the Everton person & Fibby, once her knee has recovered.

Could you imagine those three coming at you, you'd run for your life. If all else fails they could start a demolition company and just stand in front on buildings and talk, be down in a flash. :mysmilie_17:

I don't think you should re heat water you have once boiled as residual chemicals in water get concentrated. Any left over water, water used for washing veg etc we put into a jug and then it gets taken go the watering can or used to water indoor plants.

I'd love someone to explain the science part of this....sorry if it's further up.

Could you imagine those three coming at you, you'd run for your life. If all else fails they could start a demolition company and just stand in front on buildings and talk, be down in a flash. :mysmilie_17:

That's an even better idea!

I've never known anyone who throws away any surplus water left in the kettle after making a cup of tea etc.

They just re-boil it (adding to it if necessary).

And where I live we have extremely soft water, so there is never any scale.

Who throws away the water every time there is some left in their kettle?

I'd love someone to explain the science part of this....sorry if it's further up.

I can't drink a cup of tea made with reboiled water; got to be "freshly drawn" every time*. Reboiled definitely tastes weird to me; whereas Mr Akimbo can't tell the difference. I always catch him out as he tries to disprove my tastebuds for the umpteenth time and save time. Our kettle has measument markers so it's easy enough to boil just the right amount. We have hard water and kettles fur-up very quickly if the water is re-boiled by the increasing concentration of limescale as the dilution with water volume is boiled away.

*It also needs to be in porcelain not a thick ceramic or stoneware cup. I also can't sleep on top of a stack of mattresses with a pea underneath -or should that be pee? :mysmilie_19:

Latest posts

Back