Daisie Daisie I'm half crazy...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Akimbo

Fluffy
...listening to you torturing the English language during the OPI hour!:mysmilie_10: How can someone work in communication when they can't sound a full set of consonants? The "-ing" word endings are missing the "g"...not even getting the Franks optional "-ink" suffix!

If you work for a nail brand please sound the "L" and the end of "Nail" :taphead:

:headbang: rant over...oh wait..."Or-tom-a-nuwl" give me strength!

...listening to you torturing the English language during the OPI hour!:mysmilie_10: How can someone work in communication when they can't sound a full set of consonants? The "-ing" word endings are missing the "g"...not even getting the Franks optional "-ink" suffix!

If you work for a nail brand please sound the "L" and the end of "Nail" :taphead:

Oh, is that her name: Daisy? It's such a shame because I think she seems really nice but the "or-tom-a-nuwl" as you put it (almost ortomanoo) bugs me too. She loves doing her nows with OPI's fabulous now products, which we see demonstrated by the now technician.

I can see it has got to you, Akimbo. Go and have a little lie-down.

It never seems to be a requirement to speak properly these days. My dad used to say if you can't speak and you can't spell you won't go far. Seems he may have been wrong as pronunciation in the English language is sadly lacking. Sorry if that sounds pompous but I think it's true.

CC

I heard the newest sales assistant say eveningy, she then paused, ummmed & giggled so I assume she realised how stupid it sounded. I hate autumny" used instead of autumnal & adding an adverb to absolute words - equal, perfect, unique etc drives me to distraction.

she's got an Essex accent or a south London accent. it does not bother me I am used to having an east London accent in an area where I sound a bit like broad lol

QVC keep showing a clip of Jill and Jackie showing the Giftmate bags (here if you can be bothered to view it at roughly 4.24 minutes)

Credit to Jackie for pulling up Jill for saying "...xxx what I ordered". I've suffered the out-laws inverted snobbery for wanting my children to speak nicely, because it does help in most job markets.

When my DD(22) is with her mates they sound like extras from TOWIE (tho born in Sussex)- it's like the opposite of a telephone voice! I'll let it go, because she does at least know when it's appropriate to "talk proper"!

I agree. My job involved a lot of talking - with clients, suppliers and staff, formally and informally. Before I was let loose on them I was required by my employers to complete some in-depth training and assessments in various types of communication.

I love regional accents and regional slang, as does my daughter - she's adept at talking in a Yorkshire, Lancashire, Welsh and Manc accent from mimicking our relatives (and me) but that lazy gangster slang I hear everywhere is not doing the speakers any favours. Television companies seem to have lowered their standards for some roles; I'd still prefer to hear the news in RP English (I am indeed a boring old f@rt / turning into my mother)!

my granddaughter talks beautifully she is 8. she has always spoken well. I dont and I dont really care. my eldest talks beautifully curtesy of a private school education. I dont care that I sound east London. thats just what I am

Our local BBC radio road traffic watch always mention problems due to a “crash”. Stupid I know but I get annoyed and shout “accident” at the radio. Somehow crash sounds too slang to me in terms of a news programme. No real problem with it in normal mate to mate speak.

Shows how much of an old fart I am.

My niece's little girl is just over 4 and I said to my niece how nice she speaks. She said yes but every now and then they get "it'll be rate", for it'll be all right.

No problem with regional accents and slang, but there's no excuse for lazy grammar. I don't get how QVC want to sell super-expensive posh high end clobber but use salespeople who can't even use basic good grammar.

The thing is that most of them are of an age when there was proper education standards so should have had a good grounding. The older you are the more difficult it is to let go of proper grammar and tolerate text speak.

I appreciate that text/Arsebook/twatter are all instant mediums but seeing grown people posting on professional forums with UR type of things makes my blood boil.

Latest posts

Back