Latest buzz-word / trend / sales pitch?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julius

Registered Shopper
Cath Huntley just said that an Ingenue blouse (£64) is "a. investment." Is it really, Cath? Really? Gold might be an investment, or stock, shares, an ISA, a savings plan, a property, but a blouse? Nah, I don't think so!

Whatever next? Yankee candles are "an investment?"

She's also just said about how the strong prints "hide any issue areas - such and lumps and bumps, extra rolls, stretch marks, flab and cellulite." WHY do they always go for this pitch. Not all older people are flabby flumps. Maybe some of them are perfectly fit, trim and slender? I don't like this kind of "collective insecurity" QVC seem to constantly peddle.

Cath Huntley just said that an Ingenue blouse (£64) is "a. investment." Is it really, Cath? Really? Gold might be an investment, or stock, shares, an ISA, a savings plan, a property, but a blouse? Nah, I don't think so!

Whatever next? Yankee candles are "an investment?"

She's also just said about how the strong prints "hide any issue areas - such and lumps and bumps, extra rolls, stretch marks, flab and cellulite." WHY do they always go for this pitch. Not all older people are flabby flumps. Maybe some of them are perfectly fit, trim and slender? I don't like this kind of "collective insecurity" QVC seem to constantly peddle.

Here was me thinking you were well read Julius! It is nothing new to refer to an item of clothing as an investment piece, usually it is an item with higher price point. And it is not just a QVC phrase.

Here was me thinking you were well read Julius! It is nothing new to refer to an item of clothing as an investment piece, usually it is an item with higher price point. And it is not just a QVC phrase.

It just seems a rather odd turn of phrase and one that's been popping up quite a bit on QVC lately. I get the point that it's trying to lend a sense of exclusivity to an item that's out of the typical price bracket for that particularly item, however I wouldn't consider it an investment unless it was pretty likely to make some money and / or become an heirloom - which in years to come it possibly might.

I bought some overpriced "The Best" blueberries from Morrisons this lunchtime. Were they an investment?

An investment in the enjoyment of eating them Julius. A lot of these "designer" pieces do get fairly high prices if you re-sell them but they couldn't really be called an investment as I have never got more than I paid for any item of clothing I have re-sold. I think they mean if you invest in high price, good quality you will have them for years and they'll still hold their own. Trouble is, a lot of what QVC sell is high price and poor quality.

CC

An investment in the enjoyment of eating them Julius. A lot of these "designer" pieces do get fairly high prices if you re-sell them but they couldn't really be called an investment as I have never got more than I paid for any item of clothing I have re-sold. I think they mean if you invest in high price, good quality you will have them for years and they'll still hold their own. Trouble is, a lot of what QVC sell is high price and poor quality.

CC

Yes, I see what you mean. I worry sometimes that these high-end fashions are still made in Bangladesh by some poor 7-year-old who is beaten with a stick to increase their productivity. I know one "high-end" shirt retailer is like this.

Yes, I see what you mean. I worry sometimes that these high-end fashions are still made in Bangladesh by some poor 7-year-old who is beaten with a stick to increase their productivity. I know one "high-end" shirt retailer is like this.

I absolutely expect that they are. Don't know if you are having a look at the Ghost hour just now. Such hideous clothes at "high end" prices that look exactly like they are made very cheaply in China or Bangladesh.

CC

I doubt Q will ever sell a fashion item which could be called an investment in monetary terms. An original handmade Dior evening gown, a Chanel classic bag, Van Cleef diamond earrings, Vintage Mikimoto pearls, Marilyn Monroe`s white halter neck dress or Audrey Hepburn`s little black dress from Breakfast At Tiffany`s then yup you could call all of the above and more besides as "investment" pieces in financial terms. Somehow Onjenu migraine inducing patterns, Kimmy`s sofa cover florals or Yong Kims oversized shapeless tents, don`t cut the mustard but sometimes when they call something an investment piece they don`t mean in financial terms, they mean it`s an item which you will wear over several years without the need to replace it because it won`t wear out or won`t date so you get to wear it for longer. Mind you in order towear something several years on the trot then you have to really like it in the first place and there isn`t much of Q`s offerings I even like a little bit let alone having it hanging in my wardrobe for years !

I absolutely expect that they are. Don't know if you are having a look at the Ghost hour just now. Such hideous clothes at "high end" prices that look exactly like they are made very cheaply in China or Bangladesh.

CC

No, I tuned out because I'd had enough of Cath Huntley's simpering. I saw the promo for that Ghost line. A rather odd name, I thought. Is it Cath Huntley again trying to tout the Ghost range with some semblance of sincerity? My goodness she is annoying, especially when she does her well worn: "I'm so terrible at maths I can't subtract 12 from 84" line.

I think they might mean that “cost per wear” it is a good buy, but investment as you and I would term investment- no way

Referring to the Ghost show, when Jill Franks is the most stylish and pleasing thing you are seeing then something is wrong! Saying that, Jill is all in black and she does for once (IMO) look pretty and well dressed.

CC

I'd be interested to know what you think of these clothes, and their value for money.

Investments?

https://rjfclothing.co.uk/

I quite like this T-shirt - -

https://rjfclothing.co.uk/collections/men-1/products/the-liquid-gold

RJF gold T0-shirt golddrip_copy_720x.jpg

It's gold, so should be an investment.

Referring to the Ghost show, when Jill Franks is the most stylish and pleasing thing you are seeing then something is wrong! Saying that, Jill is all in black and she does for once (IMO) look pretty and well dressed.

CC

I don't know about a ghost, however she usually looks like Skeletor's sister.

My late Mum treated herself to one ‘investment piece’ when she 45 and returning to work after having us kids. It was a jacket & straight skirt suit, what she called a costume. She found it on the sales rack in the Jaeger store on Regents St. she wore it regularly for 15 years until she retired and put on weight ! It had a timeless style and tailored cut, in dark olive green wool boucle with a satin lining to jacket and skirt. So smart, I would feel good wearing it nowadays. That’s what I call an investment piece. It cost Mum £12 in 1968.

My late Mum treated herself to one ‘investment piece’ when she 45 and returning to work after having us kids. It was a jacket & straight skirt suit, what she called a costume. She found it on the sales rack in the Jaeger store on Regents St. she wore it regularly for 15 years until she retired and put on weight ! It had a timeless style and tailored cut, in dark olive green wool boucle with a satin lining to jacket and skirt. So smart, I would feel good wearing it nowadays. That’s what I call an investment piece. It cost Mum £12 in 1968.

£12 in 1968 is the equivalent of £202now but £12 in 1968 to late 70’s would have purchased a lot more than £200 now. I don’t think I earned that in a week!

I only have two items of clothing that could be called investment pieces & both are jackets. One is a Windsmoor blazer that belonged to my much-missed mum & the other one I bought this summer from McNair; technically it's a shirt made for snowboarders but I wear it as a jacket &, like the blazer, because it's a quality garment it should outlive me.

Yes that was when clothes were special.I used to wear Jaeger and had so many complements.Yes expensive but quality now people pay rediculous prices for designer name items but the price is in the name and marketing hype not the quality of the garments.I could list all my outfits from that time.

As a young girl I lived in a small town and I can remember a proper tailor having a small shop there. He had books filled with swatches of tweeds and other cloth and he made suits for both men and women, overcoats, jackets, skirts and waistcoats. You went in, chose your tweed or wool cloth from the swatches or the large rolls he already had in stock and and then you were measured for it, had at least one fitting where it would be tweaked and then collect the finished item about 2 weeks later.
My Dad had a suit made there in 1963, I remember it well because it was for my older brother`s wedding and when my Dad passed away in 2002 that suit was still in his wardrobe and had been worn for many funerals and weddings over its lifetime and was still as good as new.
My Mum was a very large lady and back in the 60`s there were few off the peg clothes for plus sizes and I recall her having a full length coat made for her by the same tailor, it was brown tweed with a velvet collar and she wore it for the rest of her life. Of course Dad`s suit and Mum`s coat would have cost equivalent to a small fortune back then, they were once in a blue moon considered purchases for which they must have saved hard but they were made to last and last.

Latest posts

Back